ND Women's Basketball 2015

Don't get your hopes up as Brianna Turner may be out for the year and Reimer is hampered with an Achilles injury. I do not see a win over Connecticut for the championship.

Now for some good news. We will win it all next year as Connecticut loses Brianna Stewart, Jefferson and a big gal I can't remember her name. They certainly take a step back in talent and experience.

In the mean time we are building for the future because Jewell left early and Brianna and Taya are hurt. The major recipient of playing time is the two freshmen guards, Mabrey and Arike. They can both play. Mabry is a bit inconsistent as expected but can go off for 20 and is adept at stealing the ball. Arike takes it to the hole and offsets part of Jewell's loss.

Despite all these losses we are ranked #3 and we just beat #10 Ohio State. Players are getting better. They turn the ball over and look ragged but Muffet will have them playing good enough to win the ACC. Next year we will have developed our guard play to elite status and the bigs will again be dominant with the return of Brianna Turner.

We will bring in two stud freshmen next year, one of them is 6' 2'' and Muffet believes she is the best shooter in the country. She says teams can not double Brianna with her in the game. Sorry I don't have her name at the moment.

So basically this will be a good year but not a great one by ND standards and next year we will get it done and beat that sorry Italian coach at Connecticut.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muffet needs to have Turner and Riemer sit out for the year, and both get surgery. Both, would still have 2 years left, and obviously healthy for next year. Also, looking at Uconns team next year, hard to believe they finish in the top 20? :bump::bump:

By far, the top 3 girls for UConn were Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. They lose all three. That was 90% of their scoring and rebounding. Their freshman, the number one recruit in the country, has twice been outperformed by Mabrey, once in the McDonald's All American game and the game at Connecticut. She is no Brianna Stewart. She is over rated. Mariana was underrated.

Reimer left the team again, possibly for the whole year. She, seems to be one big headcase, and a disease for the team.

I say good riddance. Westbeld is putting up the same numbers she did last year and will surpass her in production. The key is getting back Turner. Coco just didn't show anything against TCU. Love the development of the two freshmen guards. Next year on paper we are number one.

First off, Reimer IS a cancer on this team. Adios. Second of all, I like the 4ish guard line-up better. Westbeld kind of plays like a big guard. Great passer & midrange shooter, and good basketball IQ. Her plus the Mabreys, Allen & Cable with the Huff & Aglibawandaquaracha coming off the bench is great IMO. Played UConn competitively and without any post presence. Turner should probably take a redshirt. You don't get over her type of shoulder injury without rest. If she comes back in the next couple of games, I'll be holding my breath the entire time as it'll be extremely hard for her not to re-injure it again. Actually impressed by how Muffet's approached this. Screw bandaids, lets just rip it off completely and go small ball. Kudos to her because our other post players (outside of 4ish Westbeld) suck donkey balls...and she knows it.

If Turner was going to redshirt they would have performed surgery. She's going to play after Christmas break. We are developing this talent, especially the freshmen guards and Westbelt. When we put Turner in the middle magic may happen. In fact we will be similar to the men's team. Do we play two bigs such as the men do with August and Bonzie or do we go 4 guards. The answer is we will do both. Both men and women are developing into teams that can make a great run in the tourney.

If Turner was going to redshirt they would have performed surgery. She's going to play after Christmas break. We are developing this talent, especially the freshmen guards and Westbelt. When we put Turner in the middle magic may happen. In fact we will be similar to the men's team. Do we play two bigs such as the men do with August and Bonzie or do we go 4 guards. The answer is we will do both. Both men and women are developing into teams that can make a great run in the tourney.

I don't doubt Turner will try to come back and play. I just doubt whether it's the right thing to do for her overall basketball growth and health. If she had the surgery now, she'd most likely be 100% by next season--or at least close to 100%. Pretty sure she made the decision to give it one last go before going under the knife though and I understand her reasoning. She wants to win now, I get it. But this problem isn't going away and she might further exacerbate the shoulder. I just think, along with many others, that she just needs to get it over with and have the surgery to fix it otherwise this will be an annual thing and she'll never be 100%. Shoulders aren't something you can normally fight through when you're an athlete. Often times, a simple slap tear becomes full-on rotor issues from overdoing it.

I don't doubt Turner will try to come back and play. I just doubt whether it's the right thing to do for her overall basketball growth and health. If she had the surgery now, she'd most likely be 100% by next season--or at least close to 100%. Pretty sure she made the decision to give it one last go before going under the knife though and I understand her reasoning. She wants to win now, I get it. But this problem isn't going away and she might further exacerbate the shoulder. I just think, along with many others, that she just needs to get it over with and have the surgery to fix it otherwise this will be an annual thing and she'll never be 100%. Shoulders aren't something you can normally fight through when you're an athlete. Often times, a simple slap tear becomes full-on rotor issues from overdoing it.

Sounds like you know more about shoulders than I do. I'm starting to agree that we operate and save her for the big run next year. Honestly, next year could be a dominate run without any losses. The recruiting haul this year looks to be lethal with Mabrey and Arike. I wonder how good Patberg will be. I expect pretty darn good!!!

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Turner is full go for the rest of the season. She scored 20 against Pitt yesterday and quite frankly we could have lost the game without her. Now what we need to do is get her acclimated to playing with her teammates. A big key is Westbeld, if she develops we have a good high/low post presence. However, Muffet likes the 4 guard play and the two freshmen continue to develop.

No way we beat Connecticut this year, but next year it looks quite possible if not probable. Connecticut only has one player coming in and she is a 5' 6'' point guard. We have two very highly regarded recruits plus we add Ali Patberg who is being redshirted. she has a great game with mid range jumpers and taking to the hole. Future is bright, but for now we struggle to maintain our #3 ranking.

It looks like Turner is full go for the rest of the season. She scored 20 against Pitt yesterday and quite frankly we could have lost the game without her. Now what we need to do is get her acclimated to playing with her teammates. A big key is Westbeld, if she develops we have a good high/low post presence. However, Muffet likes the 4 guard play and the two freshmen continue to develop.

No way we beat Connecticut this year, but next year it looks quite possible if not probable. Connecticut only has one player coming in and she is a 5' 6'' point guard. We have two very highly regarded recruits plus we add Ali Patberg who is being redshirted. she has a great game with mid range jumpers and taking to the hole. Future is bright, but for now we struggle to maintain our #3 ranking.

That was a good game yesterday. You forgot to mention the most important thing - that was Muffet's 800th win!!

That was a good game yesterday. You forgot to mention the most important thing - that was Muffet's 800th win!!

Yesterday, wasn't a pretty game. Considering, Pitt lost 5 games already, and lost to Michigan and Maryland by 20 each. IMO this team hasn't hit it's stride yet, and the offense still hasn't been consistent with Turner in the lineup. Hopefully, you'll start seeing 5+ players score 10+ a game.

Yeah, it was no. 800 for Muffet. That's a big deal, I just get caught up in all the working pieces and just how good can this team be. I think Arike shoots too much. Turner is the key and working her back into the starting lineup. I think they can improve and make the

Final 4. Next year UConn loses Stewart and Moriah Jefferson. Just found out Tuck was redshirted and will be back. Next year should be our year if our freshmen are as good as advertised. UConn only has one player coming in and she is a 5' 6'' point guard. Maybe we can finally out rebound them.

Big step forward for the girls last night. Turner is settling in as the starter and is starting to dominate. She didn't play the 4th quarter but got 19 points and more importantly hit 7 of 9 shots. That is big time basketball.

The second best player on this team is Marina Mabrey. She simply is the most consistent player and shoots the highest percentage of all the guards. She's good for 15 a night and is deadly from 3 point range.

Madison Cable may be slipping in the scoring averages, in fact, I expect Mabrey and Turner to overtake her pretty soon, but she has developed into a winner. When I say winner, I mean capable of playing well against Connecticut.

Allen is a star and she could start scoring more at any time. Count on it.

Westbeld is a good player with some size but never will be great. Still, she is certainly better than last year.

Ogunbuwale is very talented but shoots around 40%. Shot a little better this last game against Virginia. the key is to get her up to 50%+ because she darn sure is going to shoot the ball.

Basically the team is starting to approach final 4 status. Still don't see them beating Connecticut but it is getting closer and maybe it is time for the injury bug to hit the Huskies.