Chemtrails!! just kidding, Sterling Booted From NBA

Well, being secretly taped is another thing. Sounds like he was trying to keep his racism to himself for the most part.

His girlfriend is half black and he pays black guys millions of dollars - so he certainly doesn't walk the walk when it comes to racism - he needs to get out there and burn some crosses to play in the majors.

I dunno maybe he's a confused old guy set up by a smart gold digger. I wonder what/who else she has on tape.

You're right. Except....

• He portrayed his GF as latina and white. Usually that's considered more Spanish than Mexican, which she is.
  • He's been sued from not renting to Black and Latino tenants before, and said he prefers Korean tenants because he doesn't have to fix anything and they'll pay top dollar. Some of the names of his properties: Wilshire Korean Towers, Sterling Korean Plaza, Windsor Square Korean Towers, and Fremont Place Korean Plaza. See a pattern?
  • The same lawsuit also revealed these two gems from Sterling:
    "That's because of all the blacks in this building, they smell, they're not clean." and "And it's because of all of the Mexicans that just sit around and smoke and drink all day".
  • 1988 - While negotiating with top draft pick Danny Manning, Sterling said: "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid."
  • 1983, a drunken Sterling met prospective coach Rollie Massimino at LAX and asked him: "I wanna know why you think you can coach these n******?"

This dude didn't hide his racism...people just overlooked it. He was the laughingstock of the NBA for years and no one considered him relevant. But after drafting DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin, then getting Chris Paul thrown in his lap as a parting gift by David Stern, he had a winning team. Sterling got a taste of real NBA celebrity and liked it. Problem was, he couldn't keep his racist tendencies in check.

Is his mistress wrong for recording him? Yeah. But if you're not bright enough to realize that an LA gold digger will screw you over at every chance and don't take the proper precautions, then you get what's coming to you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, being secretly taped is another thing. Sounds like he was trying to keep his racism to himself for the most part.

His girlfriend is half black and he pays black guys millions of dollars - so he certainly doesn't walk the walk when it comes to racism - he needs to get out there and burn some crosses to play in the majors.

I dunno maybe he's a confused old guy set up by a smart gold digger. I wonder what/who else she has on tape.

I agree that it was morally objectionable for her to record his private conversations in his own home. It was even worse for her to make it public.

That said, it did happen, and the league subsequently has every right, and I would argue a responsibility, to boot him. His comments blew up in the media, became a huge deal, and he became a major liability for the league. The Warriors intended on walking off the court and not playing last night if he was allowed to keep ownership!

But, let's dig deeper... Did Magic just Frank Underwood the NBA so he can make a run at owning the Clippers??? Hmmmm...

You're right. Except....

• He portrayed his GF as latina and white. Usually that's considered more Spanish than Mexican, which she is.
  • He's been sued from not renting to Black and Latino tenants before, and said he prefers Korean tenants because he doesn't have to fix anything and they'll pay top dollar. Some of the names of his properties: Wilshire Korean Towers, Sterling Korean Plaza, Windsor Square Korean Towers, and Fremont Place Korean Plaza. See a pattern?
  • The same lawsuit also revealed these two gems from Sterling:
    "That's because of all the blacks in this building, they smell, they're not clean." and "And it's because of all of the Mexicans that just sit around and smoke and drink all day".
  • 1988 - While negotiating with top draft pick Danny Manning, Sterling said: "I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid."
  • 1983, a drunken Sterling met prospective coach Rollie Massimino at LAX and asked him: "I wanna know why you think you can coach these n******?"

This dude didn't hide his racism...people just overlooked it. He was the laughingstock of the NBA for years and no one considered him relevant. But after drafting DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin, then getting Chris Paul thrown in his lap as a parting gift by David Stern, he had a winning team. Sterling got a taste of real NBA celebrity and liked it. Problem was, he couldn't keep his racist tendencies in check.

Is his mistress wrong for recording him? Yeah. But if you're not bright enough to realize that an LA gold digger will screw you over at every chance and don't take the proper precautions, then you get what's coming to you.

Thanks. I'm sure he wishes he had gone with a Korean girlfriend now!

I agree that it was morally objectionable for her to record his private conversations in his own home. It was even worse for her to make it public.

That said, it did happen, and the league subsequently has every right, and I would argue a responsibility, to boot him. His comments blew up in the media, became a huge deal, and he became a major liability for the league. The Warriors intended on walking off the court and not playing last night if he was allowed to keep ownership!

But, let's dig deeper... Did Magic just Frank Underwood the NBA so he can make a run at owning the Clippers??? Hmmmm...

There would be mass deaths in SoCal if Magic brought the Clippers. A Laker icon owning the Clippers? :faint:

Magic came out today and said he has no interest in owning the Clippers. So far I've heard about a David Caruso/Larry Ellison/Oprah group, a Oscar de la Hoya/Floyd Mayweather Jr. group, and a couple of others. I figure the best case for the Clippers would be to get a Mark Cuban type owner...one who has deep pockets and is willing to use them to treat his players well.

Perfect time for new owner to take over LA with the Clippers. Good team with good core of players. Lakers are well run organization but they have OOOOLD players and just lost D'Antoni who was a terrible fit for that team. Need to rebuild. Plus the Lakers have been really lucky the last 40 years to draft 2 of the greatest players of all time in Magic and Kobe to play alongside 2 of the greatest centers of all time in Kareem and Shaq.

I figure the best case for the Clippers would be to get a Mark Cuban type owner...one who has deep pockets and is willing to use them to treat his players well.

Agreed. Not many owners like Cuban though.

How cool would it be to be that guy? Loves his team, players and the sport. Smart enough to make right decisions (most of the time at least).

Off topic, the Mavs-Spurs game on Saturday had an incredible ending with VC dropping a 3 at the buzzer to win. Guess who was on the court w/in seconds embracing Carter?

Perfect time for new owner to take over LA with the Clippers. Good team with good core of players. Lakers are well run organization but they have OOOOLD players and just lost D'Antoni who was a terrible fit for that team. Need to rebuild. Plus the Lakers have been really lucky the last 40 years to draft 2 of the greatest players of all time in Magic and Kobe to play alongside 2 of the greatest centers of all time in Kareem and Shaq.

Dr. Buss is dead and his kids aren't as savvy as he was. They had a chance to get Phil Jackson back after the Mike Brown mess...even had talks with Phil about returning. Then they chose D'Antoni. That's their mistake. Howard would have stayed for Phil, and the Lakers would be a different team.

It's not the draft that helped the Lakers. It's the general stupidity of other teams and players making demands to get out. The only player the Lakers truely drafted was Magic. All of the rest...Shaq, Kareem, Gasol, even Kobe...were traded to the Lakers.

Alliteration is a must.. The Washington Whiteskins. :-P

Snyder should be slick and get the approval of the Iroquois Nation, then rename the team the Washington Iroquois. Make some mascot changes, and watch the people who howl in frustration about the FSU Seminoles do the same to him.

Dr. Buss is dead and his kids aren't as savvy as he was. They had a chance to get Phil Jackson back after the Mike Brown mess...even had talks with Phil about returning. Then they chose D'Antoni. That's their mistake. Howard would have stayed for Phil, and the Lakers would be a different team.

It's not the draft that helped the Lakers. It's the general stupidity of other teams and players making demands to get out. The only player the Lakers truely drafted was Magic. All of the rest...Shaq, Kareem, Gasol, even Kobe...were traded to the Lakers.

A common thread there... "The Logo"

As long as Kupchak is the GM, they will continue to flounder. I love my Lakers, but they are helpless in the draft and need a strong hand to manage the talent they are able to trade for. Steve Kerr is going to coach the Knicks because he loves Phil Jackson, you put PJ as GM of the Lakers and you can start rebuilding a dynasty. Kobe is doing having long runs of 40 point games, but he has a lot to teach young starts if you can get to rebuilding before he runs out of gas entirely.

There would be mass deaths in SoCal if Magic brought the Clippers. A Laker icon owning the Clippers? :faint:

Magic came out today and said he has no interest in owning the Clippers. So far I've heard about a David Caruso/Larry Ellison/Oprah group, a Oscar de la Hoya/Floyd Mayweather Jr. group, and a couple of others. I figure the best case for the Clippers would be to get a Mark Cuban type owner...one who has deep pockets and is willing to use them to treat his players well.

Something about the idea of an Oprah owned team makes my blood curdle. Might as well smack on some pink uniforms on them and call them the tampons. Can you just imagine it? Coming up next, Inside the NBA on OWN.

Something about the idea of an Oprah owned team makes my blood curdle. Might as well smack on some pink uniforms on them and call them the tampons. Can you just imagine it? Coming up next, Inside the NBA on OWN.

....but everyone in the audience would get free stuff!

As long as Kupchak is the GM, they will continue to flounder.

I don't know, you get the right coach and maybe the turnaround is pretty quick.

There'll be some veteran guys that might take a discount to play with Kobe like the Luol Dengs out there. Add a solid pick, some role guys, and add in the max contract you can take and it may not be as bad as what the Knicks and Celtics are going through.

I don't know, you get the right coach and maybe the turnaround is pretty quick.

There'll be some veteran guys that might take a discount to play with Kobe like the Luol Dengs out there. Add a solid pick, some role guys, and add in the max contract you can take and it may not be as bad as what the Knicks and Celtics are going through.

If they can get a good coach we will see what happens. Problem with roping in guys who will take a pay cut to play with Kobe is that they are typically older guys looking to score a ring on the way to the retirement home (See: Steve Nash). The Lakers need legs to run the court and some freakin durability off the bench. I did see some bright spots in the "Young" talent this year, but they need some star power that is not old enough to be coaching. I would like to see a Harden type player come in, someone who is good enough to make an impact but knows how to be a roleplayer, not the whole show.

Lot of good free agency coming up in 15-16, clean house, make some cap space and put some framework in place and you only have one more painful year to get competitive.

We shall see, though.