Lady Irish To Win National Title Tomorrow

Damn, Stewart is back for UConn, I was hoping she was a senior. She is a great player....maybe she should think about going pro early :razz: but I guess they don't do that in women's bball.

That is changing. Earlier this season they were talking about Diamond DeShields from North Carolina leaving after her freshman year and challenging the anti one and done rule for women's basketball.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I follow this school to hope they win championships, not to come in Second place.

Apparently, you're that guy I heard about who never ever lost at anything, and was never proud of just doing an excellent job because that was below him.

You should coach all our teams. Oh, and be the only player on every team too. We would win every National Championship in every sport every year.

It must be fantastic to be Omnipotent and judge others for not being perfect. Fantastically tedious.

Four Final Fours, with or without a National Championship, are still four Final Fours. In a row. Three National Championship games in the last four years. Even UConn, for their two NC's, did not play in the final game of the season two of the last four year. You know why? Because we beat them two of those years. 37-1. 72-3 over the last two years. I am extremely positive about all that. Even with those three losses.

Did just one team do well this year?

C'mon, man. Be a human being, and congratulate these ladies for a tremendous accomplishment.

Edited by 2lakes

As I watched the game the other night, the deciding factor was the size of the ladies that UCONN had. Stewart and Dolson just plain dominated the lane. Stewart spent a lot of her time defending on the perimeter as well. Their wingspans really put a limit on what ND could/could not do.

In women's basketball, size DOES matter.

I hope we can recruit someone who can match up physically against foes like UCONN. Even with all of the talent we have on the team, if 80% of the shots have be taken from outside of our comfort zone and the interior game is clogged up, it will be a tough road.

But, I will say this... I loved watching the girls play all season. Every game was fun to watch, save the last one. They are definitely more exciting than the men's team.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with that one, because I'm sitting in the room with someone who just spent the last season defying that belief...my daughter.

She's 5'6 1/2. Due to a senior transferring out in the middle of the season, She was forced to play center, mainly due to her aggressive nature on the court and her prior experience playing the position, as she was taller than most kids when she was younger.

Most of the time, she was outsized by 4 or more inches. Yet she flat out hustled most girls and posted averages of 14 points and 8 rebounds a game. She even recorded a 16 point, 16 rebound, 11 steal, and 10 assist game while matched up against a 5'11 girl in the post with a very good wingspan.

Height is a component, but heart means a lot as well. This ND team was filled with cold blooded players, but with only one fiery player (Achonwa), they were beatable with her out of the game. Someone needs to step up and be the heart of the ND team next year, or there could be a similar result.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with that one, because I'm sitting in the room with someone who just spent the last season defying that belief...my daughter.

She's 5'6 1/2. Due to a senior transferring out in the middle of the season, She was forced to play center, mainly due to her aggressive nature on the court and her prior experience playing the position, as she was taller than most kids when she was younger.

Most of the time, she was outsized by 4 or more inches. Yet she flat out hustled most girls and posted averages of 14 points and 8 rebounds a game. She even recorded a 16 point, 16 rebound, 11 steal, and 10 assist game while matched up against a 5'11 girl in the post with a very good wingspan.

Height is a component, but heart means a lot as well. This ND team was filled with cold blooded players, but with only one fiery player (Achonwa), they were beatable with her out of the game. Someone needs to step up and be the heart of the ND team next year, or there could be a similar result.

Girls Basketball should have 2 national championship tourneys. Top 6 and everyone else. Seeing ND destroy every ranked team they played, and get smoked by UCONN shows the disparity between teams.

Trust me, I'm not discounting HEART.

It just ain't gonna take you as far as a combination of Physical Attributes (Height) and Skillz. While I will root for the dog in most situations, in my mind I know that good money goes with a team that can physically dominate and had skills to boot. In addition to having a physical advantage on our girls the other night, those UCONN girls have great BB skills.

Having fire in your heart is great, but it's just one component. You give me a team of 5'6" girls with undying desire to win dripping out of them against a team of 6'5" skilled players.... I'll put my money on the latter every time.

Trust me, I'm not discounting HEART.

It just ain't gonna take you as far as a combination of Physical Attributes (Height) and Skillz. While I will root for the dog in most situations, in my mind I know that good money goes with a team that can physically dominate and had skills to boot. In addition to having a physical advantage on our girls the other night, those UCONN girls have great BB skills.

Having fire in your heart is great, but it's just one component. You give me a team of 5'6" girls with undying desire to win dripping out of them against a team of 6'5" skilled players.... I'll put my money on the latter every time.

True, but only if the 6'5" skilled players really want it. Notre Dame was getting out hustled for loose balls Tuesday. That never happened in their 37 wins.

I too am most proud of this team, these players, Muffet, our program and school. We are not done. We seriously will be a lot better rebounding team next year. Just hope Connecticut does not get that remaining 6' 5'' girl that has yet to decide.

this girl?

 Retweeted by Eric Hansen

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla · 15m

Top-ranked girls basketball recruit A'ja Wilson of Heathwood Hall (SC) @_ajawilson22 chooses South Carolina over #UConnwomen and others

Expand  Reply

this girl?

 Retweeted by Eric Hansen

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla · 15m

Top-ranked girls basketball recruit A'ja Wilson of Heathwood Hall (SC) @_ajawilson22 chooses South Carolina over #UConnwomen and others

Expand  Reply

That would be the girl. Now UConn only has Stewart, Tuck, and Stokes to play the post. ND has 6 different girls who can play the post. Advantage ND.

That would be the girl. Now UConn only has Stewart, Tuck, and Stokes to play the post. ND has 6 different girls who can play the post. Advantage ND.

Thank goodness she didn't go to UCONN. Now I seriously think we can beat them next year. Hopefully Turner can neutralize Stewart. I'm pumped for next year!!!!!!!

Tim,

I am ecstatic that the number one recruit in women's basketball will not be playing for Auriemma next year but for South Carolina. South Carolina is currently ranked second in recruiting with UCONN 4th and ND 5th. I still maintain next year will be a title run for the Lady Irish. Breanna Turner and company will show up ready to compete at a high level and contribute significantly as freshmen under Muffet McGraw. I look for a string of national championships in the next few years and I believe as I look through my blue and gold glasses that this year's disappointing loss to UCONN is only a minor setback on our path to ultimate success!

Tim,

I am ecstatic that the number one recruit in women's basketball will not be playing for Auriemma next year but for South Carolina. South Carolina is currently ranked second in recruiting with UCONN 4th and ND 5th. I still maintain next year will be a title run for the Lady Irish. Breanna Turner and company will show up ready to compete at a high level and contribute significantly as freshmen under Muffet McGraw. I look for a string of national championships in the next few years and I believe as I look through my blue and gold glasses that this year's disappointing loss to UCONN is only a minor setback on our path to ultimate success!

We lost to UCONN because the height discrepancy. We could not rebound against them and Dolson was huge (liiterally) in the middle. She gone. Breanna Hartley was every bit the player that McBride was. They did NOT replace the height in this recruiting class since they lost the recruit to South Carolina.

If we can develop our current freshman class (sophs next year) we can be one of the biggest teams in the country). Thompson is 6' 4'' and long armed, maybe a bit similar to Breanna Stewart in her length. Cocoa is 6' 3'' and big bodied. We are very good at developing post players.

Not sure who Muffet will have in the starting lineup next year, but it will be a much better rebounding team than we had this year. Taya needs to develop. Our scorers will be Jewell Loyd, Turner, Mabrey and Madison. After that everybody needs to contribute. Lindsay Allen about 7-8 points, Reimer 10 points, Cocoa + Thompson 10 points and we have a 5 star freshman that I would like to redshirt (not Turner).

I see another run at an undefeated season. We need to get Turner ready immediately to take up the slack of McBride. And oh yes.....one more component.....Markisha Wright can play more effectively then did Ariel Breaker. In essence....we will be better than the team that went 37-0 before losing the title game. Maybe next year UCONN loses their post just before the big game.

We have lots of depth on our team thanks to the coaching and recuriting efforts of Muffet and her staff. I have no doubt next year's team will be every bit as competent as this year's team and have the opportunity to win it all. Three of the last four years we have had the championship cluthched from our grasp. At some point, hopefully soon, this will change!

Tim,

Great attitude.

However, don't underestimate Achonwa' s, McBride's, and Braker's contribution as upperclasswomen and leaders both on and off the court. Replacing that leadership will take some getting used to, and Loyd is going to have to step up big time in that department starting yesterday.

Great attitude.

However, don't underestimate Achonwa' s, McBride's, and Braker's contribution as upperclasswomen and leaders both on and off the court. Replacing that leadership will take some getting used to, and Loyd is going to have to step up big time in that department starting yesterday.

As far as Braker, Markisha Wright is bigger and was actually playing better than her at the end of the season, Turner replaces McBride's scoring and adds to the rebounding and shot blocking statistics, Taya Reimer replaces Achonwa and comes close to her talent while replicating her size.....add to this the return of Mabrey and Madison as they will be better. Then, you have the two big post players Cocoa and Thompson. Simply put, we will be better.