Lady Irish Will Finish 29-0 This Year

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Hawkin's girl from FSU is manly tall. She's from Toledo too. Guess that makes sense. Yeah, Okie's looking golden so far on his prediction. I tend to stay away from predictions since they usually turn into hexes but whatever works for you! Lady Irish are incredibly fun to watch. Alley oops, three point shooting, fast break city, Ace posting up on anyone and scoring, and Muffet out-coaching everybody across from her coaching box; especially Duke's coach P...

That Hawkin's girl from FSU is manly tall. She's from Toledo too. Guess that makes sense. Yeah, Okie's looking golden so far on his prediction. I tend to stay away from predictions since they usually turn into hexes but whatever works for you! Lady Irish are incredibly fun to watch. Alley oops, three point shooting, fast break city, Ace posting up on anyone and scoring, and Muffet out-coaching everybody across from her coaching box; especially Duke's coach P...

Any similarities to the 2001 squad? My sister worked on that staff and had Muffet and Digger as references on her résumé..

Any similarities to the 2001 squad? My sister worked on that staff and had Muffet and Digger as references on her résumé..

I think the biggest difference is they don't have a Ruth Riley. They have Ace, but she's not as big of a presence down low as Ruth was. Especially on defense. That seems to be the weakest link of the team. Rebounding, both offensive and defensive, and just plain post defense. I think ND can score with anyone. But their defensive rebounding is weak. Still a great squad with more depth than that championship team.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time I actually think we will win it all this year. Connecticut only scored 63 points tonight against USF. Their bench only had 3 points. Mabrey does that with one shot!!! They only have 8 players altogether. Next year they lose Hartley and Dolson. Those were the top two scorers tonight with 18 and 15 points. Next year we will outrebound them.

Now sitting at 27-0!!! We play North Carolina this Wednesday at 7 p.m. It will be on your computer on ESPN3. It is so much fun to kick these schools with the big names like Duke and North Carolina. So sad so few Domer Domainers are tuning in. I can see though, that we have no problem selling tickets as the place looks mostly full. What a great way to spend your off season in football. Sure hope the refs don't cheat us when we play Connecticut in the Big dance like they did a few years ago in the title game against Texas A & M.

Another fun game to watch yesterday. They made a few mistakes at the end of the half to give duke 4-6 points, but we played a good 2nd half. Love the allyoops (spelling ?)

okie, I heard during the game yesterday that there was a sellout yesterday the only one for women's this year in any game/venue. Also, ND is running about 90% capacity for women's games. I doubt the men's is anywhere close.

Another fun game to watch yesterday. They made a few mistakes at the end of the half to give duke 4-6 points, but we played a good 2nd half. Love the allyoops (spelling ?)

okie, I heard during the game yesterday that there was a sellout yesterday the only one for women's this year in any game/venue. Also, ND is running about 90% capacity for women's games. I doubt the men's is anywhere close.

Yeah, there are about 4,000 locals mostly women that come and wear the light green shirts. On a night when the kids were not in school and a blizzard was outside they had over 4,000 on hand. McBride and Loyd play much more like guys than girls. Connecticut has one of their stars out with mono. That could cost them in the big dance. Hope so.

you got me hooked, okie.............:-P

John, I actually think we will be better next year even though we lose Achonwa and McBride (and Ariel Braker)....... Taya Reimer is the same size as Achonwa and potentially better, we keep developing Mabrey and Cable off the bench and this new girl coming in is unbelievable. She is 6' 3'' and runs like a guard and shoots like a guard. She is a shot blocker and can actually dunk it!!!! I believe Muffet will start Madison Cable next year but here would be my line up.

1. Lindsay Allen _ Girl can play, penetrate, drive, dish and shoot the 3. We don't ask her to shoot a lot, but she is a real talent and will only be a sophomore next year, so we actually improve at point guard.

2. Jewell Loyd _ At times she is the best player in the country. She is our most consistent scorer. Purely due to more experience she actually improves. I have watched her steadily but slowly get better. She was awful good when she first stepped on the floor and a starting freshman. This is one unique player. I like her better than Skylar.....seriously.

3. Turner _ This is the incoming freshman phenom. This is why I think we can improve. She will instantly score in the neighborhood of what McBride did as a senior. She will improve our defense dramatically. She can do all the things a 2 or a 3 can do but she can rebound with anyone in the country.

4. Taya Reimer _ This 5 star studette is very similar to Achonwa. But being left handed and having the ability to drive she has a bigger upside. I see a high low post that is devastating. We kick the ball to the high post, Taya, and then she can 1. shoot it (she shoots this shot much better than Ariel Braker who now plays the high post) 2. She drives to the hoop and being left handed you better have done your scouting report. I'm certain Muffet will have her making lay ups with both hands though 3. She kicks it down to the low post. Since you have to honor her shooting touch you must come out to meet her leaving a BIG under the hoop with one on one coverage. If she drives to the hoop she can still lay it off to the other post player. This is going to be a mismatch for many teams. Even Connecticut loses their 6' 5'' girl and I don't see another BIG on their roster including the incoming recruits.

5. Nelson and Thompson _ These are the two freshman that don't get to play much but they are big and talented. Thompson is 6' 4'' and has long arms, Nelson is 6' 3'' and is a pretty hefty girl and is just ahead of Thompson in ability. Just look at the rebounding ability of this team. It is much greater than the ability of our current team. We are 6' 3'' or 4'', 6' 3'' and 6' 3'' plus Jewell Loyd who is a rebounding machine at 5' 10''. What gives us the ability to play so big is the coming of Brianna Turner who has guard skills and yet is so tall.

I would keep Madison Cable and Mabrey coming off the bench. This give us the best bench in America. Connecticut's bench only scored 3 points a couple games ago. In the next recruiting class we also have another 5 star power forward and a 4 star point guard that is similar to Lindsay Allen. We can redshirt her. The future is just so amazing.

tim, that nelson reminds me of the girl who played center for texas a&m the year they beat ND for the championship...... massive.......

Yes, and coupled with the refs and her hot night they won even though we lead late in the game. When I went up for the spring game two years ago and had breakfast with the team, the guy in charge of the event and head speaker came over to my table and started talking to me. Big tall guy and somehow we started talking women's basketball. He announces the games!! Told me flat out they cheated us and told me the names of the refs. Man I hope that doesn't happen again. We have to win a title to get rolling even better.