Wussification of America's youth

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think it's gone overboard, but I also do understand why their doing it. it's all about safety. when players get concussions and those lead to serious head problems in the future you have to try and prevent the concussions from happening in the first place. I probably don't know enough myself, but aren't concussions that are what lead to that serious head problem with old players to the point where they get violent and suicidal? that's really serious.

however it's football and these players should know the risk and make the choice to play, so they should know there is the potential of contact between helmets that is not intentional.

I do think it's gone overboard, but I also do understand why their doing it. it's all about safety. when players get concussions and those lead to serious head problems in the future you have to try and prevent the concussions from happening in the first place. I probably don't know enough myself, but aren't concussions that are what lead to that serious head problem with old players to the point where they get violent and suicidal? that's really serious.

however it's football and these players should know the risk and make the choice to play, so they should know there is the potential of contact between helmets that is not intentional.

Well maybe we should stop forcing young men to play football. Oh wait.

Some of those problems with the old players may also come from the fact that they played up to 20 years of their life in an extremely violent sport if you figure they started around 12 y/o and went until early 30's. That's a lot of little hits play by play, game by game during that time, not even counting the "big" hits. Matter of fact I think that say that the little ones are actually the ones that take the toll over time, but I could be wrong. Anyhow I know lots of guys who played all the way through college, and have yet to know anyone who's had problems, yet...

These h2h calls are BS. It's impossible to call intent. The carrier has to be smart enough to keep the head-up.

Wussification goes beyond not wanting to get hurt, it goes down to attitude.

I can't understand the pansy *** attitudes of top athletes who don't want to compete, get all pissy when they're not "top dog", or don't get treated like royalty - I'm talking about kids like Kiel & Lynch.

All the talent, and none of the character.

If Kiel had a half a nut and confidence, he would have been starting this year.

Dont know much about youth football but I was completly taken by surprise when my son started playing soccer and they dont keep score even up to U8 they say score is not important well tell that to my son who askes every week what the score was.

Maybe the NFL and the government should get together on this and let the players know they can "Shop Around" when they have debilitating injuries.

Also, any NFL player should be forced to sign a waiver similar to one you sign prior to bungee jumping. At least that's what I would do if I was an owner... and guess what, they would sign it

The new rules of college football all the way down to the youngest youth sports let the kids play!!

kids younger than freshmen should not play full contact football. even that is too young kind of.

a family friend who has a 10 year old son had two concussions in three weeks.

little kids necks arent meant to wear football helmets and smash heads. hockey, too.

Did you guys read the high school football story on ESPN today? We talked about it during our first surgery case in the morning. Anyways, a high school kid was killed after a head blow during the game. I think he took a good shot to the head played three snaps and collapsed right there. Sad. There's a reason why helmets are being looked at. Get used to it fellas. Rules may be needed for a change. Or maybe just get rid of helmets all together or facemasks...

kids younger than freshmen should not play full contact football. even that is too young kind of.

a family friend who has a 10 year old son had two concussions in three weeks.

little kids necks arent meant to wear football helmets and smash heads. hockey, too.

If you don't like it, don't let your kids play. I am sorry about what happened to your friends but there is an inherent risk in letting them play. Just like driving to work. If you don't want to risk getting in a accident, stay home...

This is the problem here.

I saw a cool show on PBS last night. Guy at U of Illinois has created a skullcap witha microchip attached to the back. Has 3 LED lights. Any hit that is within a set standard turn green, good to go. Above a certain threshold, it goes yellow or red, indicating to sideline doctors the threshold was met and they can proceed from there.

Cool idea.