Any beer suggestions for chili?

corysold

First, I'm like twice as dorky in real life, you guys should know ahead of time.

Second, you guys are both real right? That is a long way to drive to meet "Pennay" and "Rennay".

We're actually just characters created by your subconscious ala "A Beautiful Mind"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cory, not sure if you can get Bell's but it is a fantastic micro brew from Kalamazoo. They refuse to store at really cold temps so it's only available in certain markets.

More of a macro brew drinker these days but always loved Samuel Smith's beer, especially the Oatmeal stout...but that is kind of like a meal unto itself so not sure how it would mix with chili.

Two Hearted Ale is my go to when making Black and Tan.

Two Hearted Ale is my go to when making Black and Tan.

Cripes man. Someone could mention a Tawainese microbrew, an animated show aired once in 1984 and a science fiction novel the author forgot he wrote and your be like, "Yeah, I've tried/seen/read it, what do you want to know?"

Cripes man. Someone could mention a Tawainese microbrew, an animated show aired once in 1984 and a science fiction novel the author forgot he wrote and your be like, "Yeah, I've tried/seen/read it, what do you want to know?"

I know. He's ingested everything western civilization has to offer. Eastern too.

Shoot, I was just in Pekin a few weeks back for a family reunion. My wife went to ISU, we get there every 8 years or so. I'm like 2 hours North near Dekalb, next time you have no one to watch a game with let me know, well meet half way and settle our differences once and for all!

HA! You had the opportunity to meet the man, the legend (in his own mind) and you passed it up :p

For only being 28, I'm a very traveled and experienced man.

I've never had a Taiwanese beer but Tsingtao is not bad. It's actually Heineken of the east. The German's built a brewery in China hoping to brand Heineken out there and that beer became Tsingtao.

And '84 cartoon...obviously Transformers would be the call.(Or GoBots if you're lame) Actually '85 was the more prolific year, with TF hitting it's stride and M.A.S.K., GI Joe, Thundercats, Robotech, and Silverhawks.

Have you read Snow Crash? Neal Stephenson's gone on to write a lot of prolific novels in his lengthy career but to this day, Snow Crash is one of my favorite takes on post-american hegemony world. Basically invented modern Cyberpunk as well.

And '84 cartoon...obviously Transformers would be the call.(Or GoBots if you're lame) Actually '85 was the more prolific year, with TF hitting it's stride and M.A.S.K., GI Joe, Thundercats, Robotech, and Silverhawks.

Animated Ghostbusters, not the real ones but the ones with the monkey if you want to dig deep.

A Beautiful thing of having kids is turning them onto classic animation. I got my son first and second seasons of Transformers (I'm partial to the first season) and first season of GI Joe (before the characters got too outlandish.)

I went with the Matilda, though I saw most of these at my local grocer and will be trying them all.

The Matilda was great, though not with chili. I had one as I finished up getting everything ready and really, really enjoyed it. Nice crisp flavor, loved the color and citrusy notes. Not too much head, but a really easy drinking beer with a good amount of carbonation.

It didn't hold up too well with the chili though, just too much flavor going on. Not bad by any means, but it wasn't the same beer during dinner, but was just as good again after dinner.

[

Don't know how many beers would hold up to chili, which is probably a problem in itself. But as a before and after drink, top notch. Thanks Piratey.

Animated Ghostbusters, not the real ones but the ones with the monkey if you want to dig deep.

A Beautiful thing of having kids is turning them onto classic animation. I got my son first and second seasons of Transformers (I'm partial to the first season) and first season of GI Joe (before the characters got too outlandish.)

Pump the breaks Scotty! While the movie came out in '84, the cartoon didn't come out till '86, to quote the great Ed Lover... C'mon son!

I went with the Matilda, though I saw most of these at my local grocer and will be trying them all.

The Matilda was great, though not with chili. I had one as I finished up getting everything ready and really, really enjoyed it. Nice crisp flavor, loved the color and citrusy notes. Not too much head, but a really easy drinking beer with a good amount of carbonation.

It didn't hold up too well with the chili though, just too much flavor going on. Not bad by any means, but it wasn't the same beer during dinner, but was just as good again after dinner.

[

Don't know how many beers would hold up to chili, which is probably a problem in itself. But as a before and after drink, top notch. Thanks Piratey.

I did say the Pepe prolly would have been the smarter call in the Chili...but man, Matilda just tastes so good when it hits the lips.

I did say the Pepe prolly would have been the smarter call in the Chili...but man, Matilda just tastes so good when it hits the lips.

Yeah, they didn't have that one, did have another blue box with a Frenchy sort of name.

I think in the end, chili is just too overpowering in flavor and texture to really allow a beer to work with it. Too much flavor profile, not like a good steak mixed with a red or something.

But it was a great beer and at 7% it made for a good night.

Yeah, they didn't have that one, did have another blue box with a Frenchy sort of name.

I think in the end, chili is just too overpowering in flavor and texture to really allow a beer to work with it. Too much flavor profile, not like a good steak mixed with a red or something.

But it was a great beer and at 7% it made for a good night.

Suggestion for future chili's...instead of beer...root beer. I use fours peppers in mine, Serrano, Jalapeno(FRESH!!!) Ancho in adobo and roasted Poblano. The root beer gives it a unique flavor and a sweetness to match the heat from the Serrano's. Also not sure of your approach with meat...but it is absolutely crucial to use a meat blend rather than straight ground beef. The meatball trio works well,(ground beef, pork, veal) lately though I have been experimenting with sausages...hot sausage and ground beef. Next batch I am going to use chorizo in there...