Any beer suggestions for chili?

corysold

Suggestion for future chili's...instead of beer...root beer. I use fours peppers in mine, Serrano, Jalapeno(FRESH!!!) Ancho in adobo and roasted Poblano. The root beer gives it a unique flavor and a sweetness to match the heat from the Serrano's. Also not sure of your approach with meat...but it is absolutely crucial to use a meat blend rather than straight ground beef. The meatball trio works well,(ground beef, pork, veal) lately though I have been experimenting with sausages...hot sausage and ground beef. Next batch I am going to use chorizo in there...

First, I'm drinking the beer, not using it in chili, though I do experiment from time to time with different alcohols.

I'm a huge multiple meat guy and sausage in an absolute must. I usually go with a mild italian, but have used hot in the past. I also prefer stew meat to ground beef. I find it adds a second texture to the ground sausage, turkey or chicken I usually use. Also gives it a really hearty feel, I love seeing the big chunks of meat. I'll usually do like a 16 quart pot and go with around 4 pounds of meat divided up among the varieties.

I also like using different beans. I'll go with chili beans as the main, but add in light and dark kidney and black beans. Add in some onion, red, yellow, orange and green peppers and some mushrooms and I get a variety of color and texture throughout the chili. Add a little sweetness with some brown sugar, some heat with chili powder and the sauce in the chili beans (usually an equal mix of hot/mild), maybe a squirt or two of BBQ sauce and a pinch of cinnamon and cocoa powder. A few hours on the stove and wala.

Always better the second day though. I'll usually put about 10 quarts in the fridge for the week and freeze the rest for a quick meal when I don't have time to do a whole batch.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggestion for future chili's...instead of beer...root beer. I use fours peppers in mine, Serrano, Jalapeno(FRESH!!!) Ancho in adobo and roasted Poblano. The root beer gives it a unique flavor and a sweetness to match the heat from the Serrano's. Also not sure of your approach with meat...but it is absolutely crucial to use a meat blend rather than straight ground beef. The meatball trio works well,(ground beef, pork, veal) lately though I have been experimenting with sausages...hot sausage and ground beef. Next batch I am going to use chorizo in there...

Trying that this weekend....thx

First, I'm drinking the beer, not using it in chili, though I do experiment from time to time with different alcohols.

I'm a huge multiple meat guy and sausage in an absolute must. I usually go with a mild italian, but have used hot in the past. I also prefer stew meat to ground beef. I find it adds a second texture to the ground sausage, turkey or chicken I usually use. Also gives it a really hearty feel, I love seeing the big chunks of meat. I'll usually do like a 16 quart pot and go with around 4 pounds of meat divided up among the varieties.

I also like using different beans. I'll go with chili beans as the main, but add in light and dark kidney and black beans. Add in some onion, red, yellow, orange and green peppers and some mushrooms and I get a variety of color and texture throughout the chili. Add a little sweetness with some brown sugar, some heat with chili powder and the sauce in the chili beans (usually an equal mix of hot/mild), maybe a squirt or two of BBQ sauce and a pinch of cinnamon and cocoa powder. A few hours on the stove and wala.

Always better the second day though. I'll usually put about 10 quarts in the fridge for the week and freeze the rest for a quick meal when I don't have time to do a whole batch.

I'm the rare chili connoisseur that doesn't like beans...i know, i know, blasphemy. The chalky texture gets me and so does that old song(the magical fruit the more you eat, the more you toot)

The stew meat idea is intriguing to me. Ground pork, ground veal and 1/4 inch chunks of beef... Question: Do you flour(salt/peppered)the beef and brown it EVOO before hand? If not, why not?

I'm the rare chili connoisseur that doesn't like beans...i know, i know, blasphemy. The chalky texture gets me and so does that old song(the magical fruit the more you eat, the more you toot)

The stew meat idea is intriguing to me. Ground pork, ground veal and 1/4 inch chunks of beef... Question: Do you flour(salt/peppered)the beef and brown it EVOO before hand? If not, why not?

In chili competitions, don't they keep the beans out? I thought the beans were just added for substance.. I love beanless chili.. If it's made right. :grin:

I usually just throw it straight from the package into some EVOO in the bottom of the pot with whatever other meat I'm using. Brown it all at once, potentially drain some fat depending on how much I get, but I like to keep the flavor. But I don't really sear it like you might a steak or roast, just let it cook before adding veggies and beans.

It really gets tender and I like it to fall apart in my mouth. Not sure jf putting a sear on it would affect that or not, haven't really tried it. I usually just use whatever is at the local grocer labeled stew meat, sometimes they'll have an extra lean that is ok to use as the sausage fat is the flavor I want.

I once splurged and got half a cow of grass fed organic. A bit pricey, but the meat was definately better tasting.

Pump the breaks Scotty! While the movie came out in '84, the cartoon didn't come out till '86, to quote the great Ed Lover... C'mon son!

figured it was in that general era, lol....also, was always more of a Fab 5 guy although Ed had the fly dance.....Let me clear my throat, haha

I loved GI Joe back in the day!!!!!! Way to raise your boys the right way!

thank you sir...knowing is half the battle

Rattle, white chili is a soup just like there is no pizza with white sauce...it's something else (fettucine on bread?) but not pizza.

I WOULD EAT BEANLESS Chili!!!!!!

Irish Chili

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 medium onion chopped

2 jalapeno peppers chopped

3 cans Brooks chili hot beans

1 12 oz can Spicy V-8

1 small can chili powder

2 cans 12 oz beer

Brown ground beef, onion and peppers. Mix all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 4 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Shredded cheese if you want.

Irish Chili

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 medium onion chopped

2 jalapeno peppers chopped

3 cans Brooks chili hot beans

1 12 oz can Spicy V-8

1 small can chili powder

2 cans 12 oz beer

Brown ground beef, onion and peppers. Mix all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 4 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Shredded cheese if you want.

Are you just calling that "Irish Chili" or does a recipe somewhere really call it Irish Chili?

I'm leery of any Irish recipe that doesn't have some form of potato or sheep product.

Are you just calling that "Irish Chili" or does a recipe somewhere really call it Irish Chili?

I'm leery of any Irish recipe that doesn't have some form of potato or sheep product.

Oh yeah, throw in some French fries. Hee, Hee.

Real recipe I found online.