Cops and Robbers

Since it seems like we have quite a few law enforcement officers at DD past and present..I wonder if you guys have some interesting stories? Funny, stupid criminals, scary situations..whatever you guys are able to share I'd be willing to read. What should us common folk do to get out of a speeding ticket if anything..Is the ticket pretty much decided before you ask for the license and registration? Any other questions people might want ask feel free. I haven't been on this site that long, so I'm always afraid to rehash old threads or to start new ones..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a cop but heard some good stories.

Driving along on patrol at night, thump! What was that? Drove over something. Oh it's a dead body.

Drving along on a call - dink, dink, dink! What that? Oh three bullets in our windshield.

Lone cop (rookie) tries to stop bar fight - bad idea - heavily outnumbered. He's able to talk to his radio - Send cars! Send cars!

A while ago (okay a long while ago) when I worked at a big box store a couple friends were closing down the place. When they left together at the end of the night the driver needed help moving some luggage or something else large from her back seat into her trunk. My other fiend was trying to help her and when they noticed the luggage wouldn't quite fit in the trunk. So they were kicking and cursing at it until they got it jammed in.

Unknown to them, someone reported them doing nefarious things. On their way home they were pulled over by 4 or 5 cops with their guns drawn. Completely scared, my friends had no idea what was going on or what to do. So they complied with the cops and were handcuffed until things were sorted out. It turns out the person who reported them thought she saw them stuffing a body into the trunk, beating them and driving off! OOPS!

What should us common folk do to get out of a speeding ticket if anything..Is the ticket pretty much decided before you ask for the license and registration? .

Honestly, and this is not because I am a cop, I did this myself to get out of one or two tickets. Be POLITE. lets face it, you WERE speeding, dont try to deny it, dont try to have the officer "prove it to you." If you want to get out of a ticket, admit you were in the wrong, say you are sorry. Most of the officers I work with will start a light conversation with you if they dont find you "hostile." If they start doing that, then you will find yourself getting a "stern warning." however, if you have warrants, I cant help you... :p

As for stories, most of the stories I have in my head right now would be much better if you were there when it happened. For example, it was Friday night around 2:30am and as you can guess the #1 call we get around that time is bar fights. Well, I got a call to a bar fight and I was the first to arrive. As I pull into the parking lot I see two guys all out brawling in the grass. I pull up right next to them, flip the siren real quick and they breakup immediately. I order them to ground and cuff them both... As i was doing a search, I noticed a wet spot... turns out the guy pissed his pants from the siren because it scared him so much. He told me he was going to sue me for "making him piss his pants" and racial profiling (quick background: I am white, the guy was white).

The whole time he was trying to convince everyone in hearing range how we were racial profiling him and as we set him into another officer's car, he told the officer (who use to fight in local UFC fights) "just wait till I get out of these handcuffs." In which the officer replied: "Well, I have to take them off when I put in you jail, I hope you do take advantage of the situation."

Turns out the guy crapped his pants when the officer took the handcuffs off at the jail and to this day, he swears he was sober the entire time, fought the PI in court. He had other charges, but decided to fight the PI charge.

NDhoosier, I have ALWAYS been polite to cops :) I have actually been pulled over probably 10 times with 2 tickets. Both coming in Colorado. Colorado cops......I kid.

I wonder what is your most common crime beside speeding?

As for Speedster, I thought I read you are a SB cop? If so, you may know a friend and former football player of mine in highschool. I'll just say his first name since it is a little differnent. Rufino- He's a big ND fan too.

Lone cop (rookie) tries to stop bar fight - bad idea - heavily outnumbered. He's able to talk to his radio - Send cars! Send cars! Funny NDbaby1...

I was always polite to cops till I found this thing called a blackout. Then I found out they don't like smart ass 18 year old kids getting all up in there face. At least that is what the police report said because I don't remember a damn thing. That was a long time ago and I learned a valuable lessons.

1. Don't drink Tequila

2. Listen to your girlfriend when she says you have had enough

3. Don't drink Tequila

4. If a cop does show up don't think you are above the law.

5. Don't drink Tequila

6. Don't try to run away drunk from a cop with pants around your ankles(WHat the report said).

7. Don't drink Tequila

8. Respect the police and they will show you the same courtesy.

9. Don't drink Tequila

My one and only run-in with the law and I will never forget it.

Edited by cali_domer

People are so stupid its crazy to do anything but comply with cops.

I once got pulled over for going 75mph when the limit was 55mph. Cop pulls me over so I immediately say "Sir I take full responsibility and I'm really sorry. I was late for an appointment and didn't realize I was going that fast." I was honest, sincere and respectful. He smiled, told me to slow down and have a nice day but didn't give me a ticket.

I've had numerous dealings, with numerous police and never once did it get beyond polite conversation. Whether it was speeding on occasion or being pulled over early in the morning (I do a paper route) for various things, I've always been polite and so have they.

Another carrier came in this morning complaining he got a ticket for driving on the wrong side of the road. Apparently, she was going to give him a warning until he said "Look lady, I have to cross to throw the paper ok." Um, wrong, $120 ticket later, she's the "bad cop", if he'd just been polite and said "thanks" he'd have a warning this morning.

Probably my favorite story involving the police came in college. One night after heavy drinking, we decided to have a jousting tournament in the street. Yes, jousting. Each combatant rode a bike holding a 15' carpet tube. We'd ride at each other and whoever stayed up won, pretty simple. Of course the police came by, but instead of breaking us up, which they of course could have, we were all drunk and drinking on a public street, they called in a few more cars and stayed for the semi's and finals. They'd never seen anything like it and wanted to see how it turned out.

After it was over, they asked us to clean up and get inside for the night, which we did of course. Super cool way to handle a situation. Of course, that doesn't work in all cases, but it made for a good story.

On a side note, I don't recommend jousting with carpet tubes. It was great at the time, but all woke up the next morning sore as hell with 5" red circles all over our bodies.

I was always polite to cops till I found this thing called a blackout. Then I found out they don't like smart ass 18 year old kids getting all up in there face. At least that is what the police report said because I don't remember a damn thing. That was a long time ago and I learned a valuable lessons.

1. Don't drink Tequila

2. Listen to your girlfriend when she says you have had enough

3. Don't drink Tequila

4. If a cop does show up don't think you are above the law.

5. Don't drink Tequila

6. Don't try to run away drunk from a cop with pants around your ankles(WHat the report said).

7. Don't drink Tequila

8. Respect the police and they will show you the same courtesy.

9. Don't drink Tequila

My one and only run-in with the law and I will never forget it.

You and me and Tequila. Especially shots. Since 1986, I'm completely on board with that sentiment, man.

In college, I was relieving myself behind a tree in this dark courtyard. I didn't see the cops roll up. They bright lighted me and called on the speaker to come to them. I was 18 and drunk. So I walked over to the car and the cop said. Have you been drinking son? I said yes. He said. I could haul your ass into the county lock up right now. I said. I know you could sir but my dad and mom are in Florida on Spring Break and he will let my ass sit in the clink for 10 days and frankly, i would just be a burden on the good tax payers of Delaware County Sir. He said. Is your dad a politician and I said yes sir. He said get the hell in that house and don't let me see you again smartass!

I didn't know that you're not allowed to drink on the El in Chicago (you can on metra) and I was drinking a beer on the platform outside of Wrigley, as the cop was writing my ticket I chugged the rest of the beer and told him if you're going to do the time you may as well commit the crime. $150 later, that was an expensive beer.

The biggest problems we have are Domestic Violence and drugs...seems like its non stop for one or the other

for me it depends on what sector you are in, what shift you are on and time of year. During the winter, DV is the most common from what I see because families are stuck in their houses for most of the day. Honestly though, in my city, we have a traffic unit that all they do is target speeding and aggressive driving, which means the other patrol cops (like me) dont worry about speeding all that much. If you ride with a cop for a day, you will quickly see that speeding isnt a big deal to cops most of the time. However, I personally dont like to see aggressive driving, like following someone far too close; so if I see it, I am more likely to pull you over than some other cops.

Lone cop (rookie) tries to stop bar fight - bad idea - heavily outnumbered.

you have to know your limits as a fighter and be ready to use the ECD if needed. If it is a one-on-one fight, I usually step in immediately... However, if it is more of a group fight, then ya, I will wait by simply issuing commands and getting their attention on me instead of each other. But you quickly learn to backup every call to a bar fight, so the first officer is there by himself for no more than 30 seconds most of the time. As an officer you are taught that sometimes you just need to defend yourself until backup arrives, so if you cant defend yourself for 30 seconds, you will have a hard time being a cop. The more rural the area you patrol is, the longer it takes for backup to arrive.

------

But as you can see from a couple of the responses on this board, being nice to a cop is not only simple, but effective. No need to be a dick to the cop. In fact, how nice you are is usually the determining factor on whether you get a ticket or not. However, we usually run a background check on people we stop just in case you have warrants or wanted for murder or anything. So just because the officer asks you for your ID and registration, doesnt mean he is going to give you a ticket. :)

Edited by NDhoosier

I used to be on the Sheriff dept warrant team, the best one I was ever apart of was we went to serve a warrant, knocked on the door, no answer, heard someone moving, banged on the door and yelled, door opens, man in tighty whities answered, we ask if he is so and so, says no, we ask for id and go inside with him, on the couch was a blow up doll and a jar of KY with lid off, dude was nervous and humiliated, poor guy was the roommate of who we were looking for.

Im just glad that I went to college in the 80's before Excise Police were everywhere. Two of my buddies were right off the Main campus drag at Ball State and we had been drinking all day. We had my buddies' new z28 convertible loaded with beer and had to take a leak. We were all leaning on the back bumper peeing in the middle of the road when a cop rolled by us and announced on his PA. "Put it back in your pants gentlemen" and kept going. We wouldve been arrested if that happened today.

Here is my "sure fire" way to get out of a speeding ticket. When I get pulled over I roll down all of my windows, turn on all of the light and put my hands up on the left side of the steering wheel until the cop gets beside me. Then he asks why I have my hands up and I say So you don't shoot my ass! Then he asks who told me to do that and I say my cousin who is a cop. License registration and comes back with a warning for showing respect for his safety.

When I was living in PA, my best friend landed his dream job of getting on with the State Troopers. On his first day riding solo, he clocked some guy speeding on the highway and pulled him over....

after coming to a stop, the guy pulls the big no-no of hopping out of his car and coming towards my friend. Obviously this put my buddy on high alert because the guy was coming at him pretty frantically. Well, this dude was holding his butt, grimacing, and telling my friend that he knew he was speeding, but he didn't let him go right away, he was going to shite himself right there on the road.

Jason told me this guy was practically in tears, dancing around, apparently trying to hold in his waste. Jason said, even if it wasn't the truth, he was actually trying to hold back his laughter so much, he couldn't have continued any further w/the guy anyway, and subsequently told him to be on his way.