Cops and Robbers

Honestly, and this is not because I am a cop, I did this myself to get out of one or two tickets. Be POLITE. lets face it, you WERE speeding, dont try to deny it, dont try to have the officer "prove it to you." If you want to get out of a ticket, admit you were in the wrong, say you are sorry. Most of the officers I work with will start a light conversation with you if they dont find you "hostile." If they start doing that, then you will find yourself getting a "stern warning." however, if you have warrants, I cant help you... :p

As for stories, most of the stories I have in my head right now would be much better if you were there when it happened. For example, it was Friday night around 2:30am and as you can guess the #1 call we get around that time is bar fights. Well, I got a call to a bar fight and I was the first to arrive. As I pull into the parking lot I see two guys all out brawling in the grass. I pull up right next to them, flip the siren real quick and they breakup immediately. I order them to ground and cuff them both... As i was doing a search, I noticed a wet spot... turns out the guy pissed his pants from the siren because it scared him so much. He told me he was going to sue me for "making him piss his pants" and racial profiling (quick background: I am white, the guy was white).

The whole time he was trying to convince everyone in hearing range how we were racial profiling him and as we set him into another officer's car, he told the officer (who use to fight in local UFC fights) "just wait till I get out of these handcuffs." In which the officer replied: "Well, I have to take them off when I put in you jail, I hope you do take advantage of the situation."

Turns out the guy crapped his pants when the officer took the handcuffs off at the jail and to this day, he swears he was sober the entire time, fought the PI in court. He had other charges, but decided to fight the PI charge.

NDhoosier, couldn't agree more as far as the politeness. I get along with pretty much everyone and will BS with just about anyone including dirtbags. I gave out a lot of warnings on patrol and most speeding tickets I wrote were for 5 over unless they were going 20-25+ over. That way they'd be nuts to go to court for a 15 over since it stays off their insurance etc and in turn I don't have to go to court either.

I have too many stories to even remember good, bad, funny, and sad. I did just have a guy crap himself when I tackled him last month. This guy was 5-08 and about 150 lbs, me 6-04 300 lbs(not a fatty either lol) He had a warrant, so I grabbed him by his right wrist and told him to put out his smoke. He dallied around for a few seconds and I told him again to put out the smoke and hands behind his back. So he bends down like he's going to put his smoke out on the ground, then takes off. He broke my grip on his wrist, but I tackled him about 10-15 feet later, if that. So there he is flatbacked, ashes falling in his face screaming,"don't kick my ass, don't kick my ass........I just sh*t my pants!" It was all I could do from laughing my ass off, and to boot his middle aged mother was outside and saw/heard the whole thing. One proud mother I tell ya ;).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NDhoosier, couldn't agree more as far as the politeness. I get along with pretty much everyone and will BS with just about anyone including dirtbags. I gave out a lot of warnings on patrol and most speeding tickets I wrote were for 5 over unless they were going 20-25+ over. That way they'd be nuts to go to court for a 15 over since it stays off their insurance etc and in turn I don't have to go to court either.

Interesting way to do it, though it seems people around here fight random stuff, no real logic to it.

I have too many stories to even remember good, bad, funny, and sad. I did just have a guy crap himself when I tackled him last month. This guy was 5-08 and about 150 lbs, me 6-04 300 lbs(not a fatty either lol) He had a warrant, so I grabbed him by his right wrist and told him to put out his smoke. He dallied around for a few seconds and I told him again to put out the smoke and hands behind his back. So he bends down like he's going to put his smoke out on the ground, then takes off. He broke my grip on his wrist, but I tackled him about 10-15 feet later, if that. So there he is flatbacked, ashes falling in his face screaming,"don't kick my ass, don't kick my ass........I just sh*t my pants!" It was all I could do from laughing my ass off, and to boot his middle aged mother was outside and saw/heard the whole thing. One proud mother I tell ya ;).

1) You sound like the officer who trained me in self-defense... anyone who fights officers like him should automatically be tested for alcohol or drugs (cuz they be crazy!). Not sure of anyone who would fight you either, if I saw you as the suspect, I would probably call for backup pretty quickly. :)

2) I would rather them do their business before they get in my car, instead of doing while in the car on the way to jail. If they do it before, we usually end up calling the wagon, but if they do it in the car on the way to the jail, it better be toward the end of my shift, because I will not be a happy camper! :p

Yeah being polite will get you a lot further then anything. Arguing and or complaining talking on your cell phone when I get up to your car will only get you a ticket.

During my FTO I got to ride with our K9 officer and one day while eatting lunch during a cold and snowy day a car had ran off the road and the girls BF that was driving the car bailed and took off on foot long story short by the time they called for the dog and we got there it was around forty five minutes we found the guy trying to hide in a creek with only his back outta the water when he came up two other officers went to grab him and cuff him and one of the officers stepped almost right in front of the dog and got nipped a little bit his quick reaction and the handler kept him from taking a full bite.

I have to post a good story.. I say 65% of cops are good people. I say 65% of people are bad people

Many years ago I was prob 19 I am 35 now (no tickets since then) I had about 4 tickets all speeding. This lady cop pulled me over for speeding and i was weaving in and out of traffic going 80+ she pulled me over and said pretty much "when will you realize you are driving like a jackass. I said "2 seconds" she gave me a warning. The big one was I left the dog track after having a few beers and I blew threw a right on red and I had to walk the line. I passed but that opened my eyes to not drive drunk. That was 14 years ago and it scared me straight. I won't get into the the bad stuff with crooked cops.. Overall some cops are piles of shit d-bags and probably more "normal" people are piles of garbage. Just don't tell me 99.9 of cops are good !! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA:kev:

While you are right that 99.9% is too high of a number, I think he was just trying to make a point that a few bad apples make all police officers look bad. There are accountants who steal from their companies, but do accountants get the same bad rep that cops do? No. The difference between cops and other jobs is that our mistakes are shown on the front page of the paper the next morning while others who make mistakes at their jobs are handled internally. You have to remember that police officers are humans, we are not robots, mistakes will happen, that doesnt make them bad cops, that makes them human. This anti-police sentiment going around these days is rooted in ignorance, plain and simple.

I won't get into the the bad stuff with crooked cops.. Overall some cops are piles of shit d-bags and probably more "normal" people are piles of garbage. Just don't tell me 99.9 of cops are good !! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA:kev:

Says the guy that literally FILLED a cops full size refrigerator with free beer!! ;)

I havent been on too long but my funniest story has to be having 2 young females (not even attempting to call them women) literally piss themselves while I was running a warrant check on them. One on a traffic stop and the other just being suspicious. Both within a couple days of each other. Both dancing around and doing the pee-pee dance haha then SPLASH! ha About 30 seconds afterwards, they came back negative and we left em there soaked

Also, getting to run down a crazy ass already in cuffs is pretty funny. Dude, was stoned out of his mind and wanted to go to jail (just got out after spending 20 years in from 19 yo to 39 yo). Guy says he'll put hands on us (F that, he's 6'4 about 280) just to go back so the cuffs go on. I go inside the house to talk to the family who says he's batshit crazy while the guy 2 weeks out of the academy and his FTO watch him. I see him start pacing back and forth and BOOM...he takes off into the street, almost gets hit by a car and then headbutt's the driver window. I catch him about 2 blocks down and break his ankle horsecollaring him. In the ambulance and in the hospital he keeps telling me to "Just shoot me man, I know y'all aint takin me to the hospital...Im ready to die, my family know y'all got me...just shoot me now and get it over with!" After he gets checked out by the doc, he gets released and we didnt have any charges on him so we tell em to get to walkin and dude starts following us to get a ride home! We were just like WTF, got in the car and hauled ass back to our district. Mental folks make me more nervous than any traffic stop I've been on. Those bitches are in their own freaking world!

Edited by dylanbg20

My first experience with being pulled over happened when I was young. My dad was driving in souther mich or northern in. He got pulled over for speeding. The cop asked him where he was going in such a hurry. My dad apologized for speeding and said we were on our way to our first ND football game. The officer looked in the back seat fill with me and my brothers all decked out in ND gear. The officer said watch your speed and have fun at the game. Nice officer or Our Lady of Victory watching out for us? Maybe both.

As for me being pulled over, I am always polite and have my licsence and registration ready. Works for me.

Here's one, I've told it here somewhere before:

First let me say, I am not a "traffic cop". If I stop you, you did something REALLY wrong and I rarely ticket. well,,,,

I was on my way to work and was mad at a previous incident with a driver that I did not ticket (so not in a good mood). I had decided right then and there, if I had to stop anyone that day, it was a ticket!

Well, I was going down Miami Street here in South Bend and there goes a Cadillac not only passing me but the headlights were off at night.

That's it! I was stopping this one. I turned my lights on and stopped it. I walked up to the car with my flashlight and asked for license and registration. I was watching the drivers hands mostly but out of the corner of my eyes I could tell the passenger was wearing a priests collar. I then looked at the driver as he was handing me his documents.

I said, "Hello Father Hesburgh, (DOH! :shock:) Ummm,,, I just wanted to tell you you had your headlights off". He apologized, and turned them on. I never did grab the documents, I just said, "Have a good night Father" He blessed me and I thanked him and walked back to my squad car shaking my head.

I didn't stop another vehicle that night. LMAO!!! True story! :mrgreen:

I have too many stories and probably have forgot most of the good ones. There are a few I will never forget though.

1) My very first high speed chase on my own and it was middle of winter. We had several units involved and the streets were icy. The officer had pulled the guy over for a speed violation and the guy took off as the officer approached his car. The chase ensued and I was close so I got involved. The suspect took us out of town so we decided to try and end the chase before he went back into a busier part of town. The lead officer PITted the suspect and they both lost control on the ice. I was second car and tried to get stopped but ended up slamming into the suspects car as he was spinning out of control. My airbags deployed and while I knew what would happen, I was not prepared for it. The bags were so hot and a whitish-grey powder filled my car. I thought I was on fire and jumped out of my squad. I didn't scream but it took me a second to gain my wits and go get the suspect secured. Once we got the scene under control, I had to explain to the Sergeant what happened. We all got a pretty good laugh but I learned after that, that I may have been following a little too close in the conditions and also tho back off when a PIT maneuver is about to happen.

2) Before I was a LEO, in college, me and a buddy were drinking in town. The local PD kept an eye on my buddies car on the town square and they knew we had been in the bar for 3-4 hours. When we left at about 1:30, we admittedly rolled thru a stop sign. The flashing lights were on within 2 blocks of leaving the bar. The officer was a personal friend of mine and knew I wanted to get into law enforcement but he hated my buddy and wanted to teach him a lesson. My buddy blew a .18 and was immediately arrested for DUI. A second officer walked up to me and told me that as soon as I got out of the car, I could be arrested for public intox. He explained that they were towing my friends car and that I needed to get out and would be on foot. My officer friend talked him out of the PI charge and told me to get lost before the other guy changed his mind. I ran non-stop for about 3 miles until I got to my buddies house where my car was parked. I waited in my car for almost an hour before I was sure that they hadn't followed me, I then drove the 5 blks back to my house. It was much funnier that night but it convinced me to never drink and drive again.

Interesting way to do it, though it seems people around here fight random stuff, no real logic to it.

1) You sound like the officer who trained me in self-defense... anyone who fights officers like him should automatically be tested for alcohol or drugs (cuz they be crazy!). Not sure of anyone who would fight you either, if I saw you as the suspect, I would probably call for backup pretty quickly. :)

2) I would rather them do their business before they get in my car, instead of doing while in the car on the way to jail. If they do it before, we usually end up calling the wagon, but if they do it in the car on the way to the jail, it better be toward the end of my shift, because I will not be a happy camper! :p

Yeah the ticket thing wasn't an exact science, but I can't think of many who fought a 5 over ticket, most were pretty happy with that instead of the full amount.

Funny thing is I'm a DT instructor too, and wrestled all my life and into college. I definitely won't say that my size is going to win me every fight, anything can happen as the saying goes. I will say that my size has chilled out a few people and maybe stopped people from doing bad things. Big, dumb, and ugly does have some advantages :). Other officers always tell me that I should take point on a bar fight etc, and they'll stay behind me using me as a meat shield if it really hits the fan lol. Its nice to be wanted for certain situations. The guys give me grief a lot because it seemed every time I went hands on with a combative subject or a runner, the suspect almost always needed a trip to the ER before jail. Believe me its not my intention to put them there either. I don't generally use strikes, more pain compliance with holds etc like I used in wrestling. Rather turn them into a pretzel then leave them black, blue, and bloody for the cameras.

My nickname with one particular High Risk Probation Officer is "Skullcrusher". We went looking for a meth head who had a felony warrant, was known to carry a firearm, and fight. The guy bailed out of a house as other officers were going in for him near the side I was covering. So I chase him down the driveway, and he falls down on the ground. Given what I knew about him, and the fact I saw what looked like a holster or knife pouch on his belt, I wasn't giving him any room to breath. So as he's trying to get up off his butt I jump and hit him like a torpedo! When I looked down at him, his eyes were glassed over/half rolled back, and he was KO'd. Well my partner and the probation officer get there as I'm cuffing him up, and my partner says,"Oh sh*t, he's bleeding out his ears!" Then I see the blood and call for an ambulance and ride down to the hospital with him. Needless to say the POS received a broken jaw and brain bleed from me, and had to eat his meals through a straw for a few months. I was a little worried even though I could justify everything that happened given his history, valid felony arrest warrant, and my observations of his belt line (which was a large knife) and he did end up having a rifle in the house(later found out).

I have too many stories and probably have forgot most of the good ones. There are a few I will never forget though.

1) My very first high speed chase on my own and it was middle of winter. We had several units involved and the streets were icy. The officer had pulled the guy over for a speed violation and the guy took off as the officer approached his car. The chase ensued and I was close so I got involved. The suspect took us out of town so we decided to try and end the chase before he went back into a busier part of town. The lead officer PITted the suspect and they both lost control on the ice. I was second car and tried to get stopped but ended up slamming into the suspects car as he was spinning out of control. My airbags deployed and while I knew what would happen, I was not prepared for it. The bags were so hot and a whitish-grey powder filled my car. I thought I was on fire and jumped out of my squad. I didn't scream but it took me a second to gain my wits and go get the suspect secured. Once we got the scene under control, I had to explain to the Sergeant what happened. We all got a pretty good laugh but I learned after that, that I may have been following a little too close in the conditions and also tho back off when a PIT maneuver is about to happen.

always have to learn the hard way. As a young cop myself, I still make little mistakes where my fellow cops and superiors come up to me afterward and make sure I know that I did something wrong. They all know that I welcome constructive criticism.

Edited by NDhoosier

Here's one, I've told it here somewhere before:

First let me say, I am not a "traffic cop". If I stop you, you did something REALLY wrong and I rarely ticket. well,,,,

I was on my way to work and was mad at a previous incident with a driver that I did not ticket (so not in a good mood). I had decided right then and there, if I had to stop anyone that day, it was a ticket!

Well, I was going down Miami Street here in South Bend and there goes a Cadillac not only passing me but the headlights were off at night.

That's it! I was stopping this one. I turned my lights on and stopped it. I walked up to the car with my flashlight and asked for license and registration. I was watching the drivers hands mostly but out of the corner of my eyes I could tell the passenger was wearing a priests collar. I then looked at the driver as he was handing me his documents.

I said, "Hello Father Hesburgh, (DOH! :shock:) Ummm,,, I just wanted to tell you you had your headlights off". He apologized, and turned them on. I never did grab the documents, I just said, "Have a good night Father" He blessed me and I thanked him and walked back to my squad car shaking my head.

I didn't stop another vehicle that night. LMAO!!! True story! :mrgreen:

You dick...you pulled over Father Hesburgh! lol. Luckily you didn't mention when that one over served tailgater had to pee so bad he couldn't walk and had to unleash the beast on White Oak Dr. In retrospect that tailgate attendee shouldn't have done that. But word was he seriously thought he was going to rupture his bladder...

I used to see this on Cops a lot. The guy is fleeing, he crashes his vehicle. He gets out, but realizes he is corned, he lays on his stomach, BUT then you see some cops come in for a few rough ups. I guess my question would be, are cops pissed because they had to chase the guy? Is it a way to get in a few elbow rubs to the head fot the guying being a d@#$? Or is it simply for your guy's protection?

I used to see this on Cops a lot. The guy is fleeing, he crashes his vehicle. He gets out, but realizes he is corned, he lays on his stomach, BUT then you see some cops come in for a few rough ups. I guess my question would be, are cops pissed because they had to chase the guy? Is it a way to get in a few elbow rubs to the head fot the guying being a d@#$? Or is it simply for your guy's protection?

I used to jump on guys simply to get control. Once you get one cuff on them, you don't want them to start flinging that arm around and hit you in the head with a handcuff. Being dominant and controlling them is the best way to keep them from trying to escape again.

If a guy went down on his own and obeyed commands, I would simply gain control of their hands and not hurt em too much. If I had to tackle them, they were damn sure gonna feel it for a few days. I think when you get into a chase, your adrenaline gets going and it is hard to calm down at a moments notice. The overall goal is to get them secured in a safe manner for everyone's protection.

To add on a bit from what The Four Horseman said, you never know what's going to happen. I know from personal experience just how much fight a "surrendering" suspect can have. Granted most of the time the person giving up is doing just that, but there have been too many times that's just not the case. Real criminals know how cops work, and are smart enough to try to lure an officer in by being compliant and giving up, then strike. We train for those ambush attacks when a suspect is laying proned out, then they produce a weapon like a handgun. Its quite sobering, after all action is faster than re-action, and just about every time the suspect is going to get the drop on an officer in that situation. That's why when a suspect is tasered, if another officer is immediately available, they should be moving in to handcuff the person and gain control.

My nickname with one particular High Risk Probation Officer is "Skullcrusher". We went looking for a meth head who had a felony warrant, was known to carry a firearm, and fight. The guy bailed out of a house as other officers were going in for him near the side I was covering. So I chase him down the driveway, and he falls down on the ground. Given what I knew about him, and the fact I saw what looked like a holster or knife pouch on his belt, I wasn't giving him any room to breath. So as he's trying to get up off his butt I jump and hit him like a torpedo! When I looked down at him, his eyes were glassed over/half rolled back, and he was KO'd. Well my partner and the probation officer get there as I'm cuffing him up, and my partner says,"Oh sh*t, he's bleeding out his ears!" Then I see the blood and call for an ambulance and ride down to the hospital with him. Needless to say the POS received a broken jaw and brain bleed from me, and had to eat his meals through a straw for a few months. I was a little worried even though I could justify everything that happened given his history, valid felony arrest warrant, and my observations of his belt line (which was a large knife) and he did end up having a rifle in the house(later found out).

Ya, stuff like that always worries an officer. Even though it was completely justified, you never know how the court is going to take it. I got in a pretty ugly fight once and I thought I was going to be in trouble to be honest and I was on still on my probationary period out of the academy.

Called to a fight in progress at a house. As I pull up, I see two guys beating on someone, I simply couldnt wait, began issuing commands, which I got no response while continuing to beat the guy. Being the young rookie cop that I was, I ran in quite aggressively (looking back, I would do things much different). I tackled the bigger guy pretty well, but the other immediately jumped on my back and grabbed my gun (it was my first instance when someone attacking me tried to grabbed my gun, so I immediately got nervous). I grabbed the guy on my back and threw him to the ground as hard as I could (it was like a WWE move, only not faked) and the guy got knocked out. The bigger guy got back up and even though I am a pretty strong guy, this guy was just big and tubby (had to be 6'5" 260). I didnt have the ECD at the time, so I quickly sprayed him with OC spray... It only made him more wild, defensive take-downs simply were not effective, so I started to use strikes and aggressive take-down. I never knocked the guy out, but the second officer that showed up said when he saw me it was like an all-brawl between the two of us.

I learned quite a bit from that scenario and now that I have my ECD, I think things would have turned out much different. But I was definitely starting to worry about how the prosecutor was going to take it. I did get a talking to by my superior, but he knew it was my first encounter like that and he admitted that the guy was simply too big and wild for defensive take-downs. Our department kind of prides ourselves is not resorting to violence too quickly so as to build credit in the courtroom... wasnt a good start for me, but obviously police work will require violence every so often.

You dick...you pulled over Father Hesburgh! lol. Luckily you didn't mention when that one over served tailgater had to pee so bad he couldn't walk and had to unleash the beast on White Oak Dr. In retrospect that tailgate attendee shouldn't have done that. But word was he seriously thought he was going to rupture his bladder...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/SpeedsterX/Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg

Too bad that sentiment doesn't transfer here :razz:

because you give constructive criticism? Pessimism for Notre Dame football is not constructive criticism bro. But thanks for trying to derail a thread in order to get your jab in...