Cops and Robbers

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2012/02/15/20120215shooting-seventh-scottsdale-police-officer.html

I agree, Id have a real problem letting this guy who previously pointed a waepon at a neighbor barricade himself in a home with an infant. Nice grandfather using his grandson as a human shield.

I am sure the media will say he is an upstanding citizen who is simply a victim of an over-zealous cop... :p

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure the media will say he is an upstanding citizen who is simply a victim of an over-zealous cop... :p

The story definetly seems slanted against the cop. I'm curious how many times you've pulled your piece? 2 dozen times? Now how many times have you shot somebody, or better, how many have you killed? I would bet probably not more than 2 or 3. Wouldn't you say that is normal or perhaps a little more than average for cops shooting and killing criminals? I have no idea with this guy, he sounds like he has did some good because he got a medal, but it also makes me feel that this guy is as the writer called it, "shoot first" type of guy. I base that on his "number" of killed criminals. Maybe I'm off on that being a high number. Anyways, I worry if this is the case with this guy, I worry bc of that type of quick reaction might lead to an innocent death. Perhaps shooting the baby instead of the deranged guy. Perhaps, he misses the deranged man and the guy reacts and pulls his own gun shooting another cop or maybe his partner. Sometimes force is not the answer, but, again, I admit my mind is still a little clouded so my judgement may be off....

The story definetly seems slanted against the cop. I'm curious how many times you've pulled your piece? 2 dozen times? Now how many times have you shot somebody, or better, how many have you killed? I would bet probably not more than 2 or 3. Wouldn't you say that is normal or perhaps a little more than average for cops shooting and killing criminals? I have no idea with this guy, he sounds like he has did some good because he got a medal, but it also makes me feel that this guy is as the writer called it, "shoot first" type of guy. I base that on his "number" of killed criminals. Maybe I'm off on that being a high number. Anyways, I worry if this is the case with this guy, I worry bc of that type of quick reaction might lead to an innocent death. Perhaps shooting the baby instead of the deranged guy. Perhaps, he misses the deranged man and the guy reacts and pulls his own gun shooting another cop or maybe his partner. Sometimes force is not the answer, but, again, I admit my mind is still a little clouded so my judgement may be off....

It doesn't matter how many people the officer shot, they were all apparently justifiable. Lets just say when deadly force can be used you better use it, or you may not be going home that night, ever. Most LEO's never shoot anyone during their careers. Some guys are just shit magnets, all cops know at least one. `

It doesn't matter how many people the officer shot, they were all apparently justifiable. Lets just say when deadly force can be used you better use it, or you may not be going home that night, ever. Most LEO's never shoot anyone during their careers. Some guys are just shit magnets, all cops know at least one. `

Exactly, just because an officer has more shootings than another officer doesnt mean much other than he happened to be on the scene. I have yet to shoot my service weapon in my young career, but I know a 25 year veteran who hasnt shot anyone either and a 10 year veteran who has 4 justified shootings. Doesnt make the officer trigger happy, shit happens. I obviously dont know the info on the other shootings he has but one thing I would look into for an officer who has more shootings than the average is how well is he able to diffuse hostile situations. But if you pull someone over and they come out gunning, there is nothing you can do to persuade him otherwise.

For those that think police officers are trigger happy, there was an article I read during my college years that stated 3 out of every 5 officers involved in a deadly shooting leave the force within 5 years, doesnt matter how old the cop was either.

I realize that an officer may have to discharge his weapon at any given time, but I would have to think that an officer assigned to a rougher part of town or guys on special units may have higher rates than standard patrol officers.

In Des Moines, we have a SCAT unit, or Special Compliment Against Thugs. These guys are sometimes plain clothes or UC. They are a special patrol in the highest crime rate area of town. They are far more involved with gang activity, drug cases and overall violent crimes. I haven't done the research but just from past involvement, I know they had a lot of action going on day and night and I would assume they have a lot more weapons involvement.

I think it can also depend on the time of day the officer is working and the weather conditons. We always have a rash of violence when the weather first turns nice in the Spring.

There are a lot of things that can cause higher shooting rates for one officer over another.