Was that Kendall Moore on the penalty

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the things the announcers mentioned afterwards was that once the Navy player lowered his head/helmet then Moore has to adjust and hit him without using his helmet. but that's awfully hard to do mid play.

it's unfortunate that gets called a penalty. but in todays world when they are so concerned over concussions they are calling those things.

This, and all other hard hits, is just the wussification of america!!!! Last week when Slaughter received the worst of a receiver that lowered his head and he gets the penalty. Watch the SC vs. Stanford game and the receiver gets a shoulder to the head and another penalty, what a crock!! Are we playing tackle or powder puff???

I didn't want it to be a flag, as it was a tone setting hit, but it was pretty obvious helmet to helmet. Rules are rules.

that's the problem with this play...it didn't break the rules. You can hit helmets...it's impossible not to, you just cannot lead with the helmet. He did not lead or jump forward with his head out in front, they just collided which is not a penalty by definition. He was looking straight ahead at impact. That's the way I saw it anyway.

About as much of a penalty as the chest to helmet penalty on Jamoris Slaughter last week. There is nothing you can do when a ball-carrier lowers his head. The helmet-to-helmet has gone a little bit too far.

I'll go a bit further....it's a bullshit rule, period.

Forget about the penalty---here is the thing about that play.

We all were watching the game , suddenly an ND player comes flying at 159MPH at a rolling QB and literally sends him FLYING!!

Then like clockwork 1000s of fans go , WHO WAS THAT?

The play was attention getting for both the speed & violence displayed---AND WE HAVE SEEN SUCH LITTLE OF OUR GUYS CLOSING FAST IN THE BACKFIELD--only a handful of times all year---

So then we find out WHO and its, a freshman none of us have been thinking about-KENDALL MOORE

I don't believe in coincedence--kendall looks like a player & a keeper---

expect him to start in 2012

aloha's go irish!

To me at least, it looked like he lowered his helmet at the last second. Not directly into, but he did lower it.

Its tough, because if you keep your head up, sometime you're liable to have your neck snap back, but at the same time, you can't use your helmet as a weapon.

If you want to look back at the replay, its around the 3 hr 11 min 30 sec mark on ND Central. Its not the definitive textbook case, but it looks like he did lower his helmet, and the contact was pretty clearly helmet to helmet. I'd flag him, but that's just me.

It may not be the perfect solution, but considering how many kids eggs are being scrambled on a week to week basis, while we're just scratching the surface on the implications and causes of these kinds of hits, you want to try and prevent scary situations like this.

[ame]

[/ame]

Or this...

[ame]

[/ame]

Yeah, wussification. Nostalgia, rub some dirt on it, rabble rabble. Tell that to their parents when their kids can't sleep, suffer from depression, thoughts of suicide, or shorten their lives by decades because of hits like this. Austin Collie's circuit board got fried 3 times in one season last year; you think he's going to have a life without consequences from that?

We love the violence of this sport, but living with it is another entity, and its about time someone noticed that we need to protect these increasingly bigger, faster, stronger athletes from each other at some point. Again, not a perfect solution, but going back to the way things were and not trying anything is infinitely worse if you ask me. Id rather rules and enforcement go overboard for a few years until they get the hang of protecting these kids from each other than keep seeing kids lose their brains over it.

I thought the helmet to helmet was unavoidable. The only thing I am taking from this is that Kendall Moore can play and has a great attitude. This kid has 4 years of eligibility after redshirting last year. He has been the understudy to Teo and will be critical when we play option teams. He was a 4 star recruit and has been said to have transformed himslef under Longo. I have been waiting to see him on the filed. This kid is our future and I feel pretty good about it.

Helmet to helmet is ok if the offensive player lowers his helmet. What else are you going to do? Let him spear you?

The rule is helmet to helmet for a QB, or a defenseless player (cross route, side tackle, etc). Or leading with helmet into a defenseless player.

But when that offensive player leads with his helmet, that's just part of the game. In this play, the offensive player lead with his helmet.

To me, that's where the rule needs cleanup. The leading with the helmet from the offensive players needs to go. There's no possible reason for an offensive player to lower his helmet, other than to attempt to stun the defense with a helmet shot.

Helmet to helmet is ok if the offensive player lowers his helmet. What else are you going to do? Let him spear you?

The rule is helmet to helmet for a QB, or a defenseless player (cross route, side tackle, etc). Or leading with helmet into a defenseless player.

But when that offensive player leads with his helmet, that's just part of the game. In this play, the offensive player lead with his helmet.

To me, that's where the rule needs cleanup. The leading with the helmet from the offensive players needs to go. There's no possible reason for an offensive player to lower his helmet, other than to attempt to stun the defense with a helmet shot.

Agreed, kind of like in an offensive player can put his hands on a facemask for a straight arm...kind of way...

Agreed, kind of like in an offensive player can put his hands on a facemask for a straight arm...kind of way...

I was watching a game yesterday, and i think it was MI, but the RB grabbed the defenders facemask and swung him around. It was nasty. Fortunately it was called. But I agree, the offensive players, in their attempt to get more yards, are instigating alot of these issues too.

To me, I'm just glad their starting to address these issues. It's a good first step, but there's still more to be done.

we have to remember that we get to watch it on tv with replays. we know that he didnt really lower his head but to the ref it was a bang bang play. it was even fast watching it on tv, imagine getting one chance to watch that on the field.

first instinct for anyone watching that live would be to throw a flag. he demolished him, and the sound of the helmets hitting couldnt be missed. there is no way a ref wouldnt pull out a flag on that

Yeah, wussification. Nostalgia, rub some dirt on it, rabble rabble. Tell that to their parents when their kids can't sleep, suffer from depression, thoughts of suicide, or shorten their lives by decades because of hits like this.

I really don't care. If they're worried about it, they shouldn't play. There are plenty of other sports out there like soccer and golf. Take your worries elsewhere and let the rest of us play the game the way it's meant to be played. If these guys want to suffer the consequences, it's their choice. For the one's in the NFL, they get millions to leave to their family once they can't think straight. That's assuming they don't blow it, first.

Anyway, coming back to my main point, again, I don't care. Play the game the way it's meant to be played, which is like a gladiator sport where the gladiators kill each other.

first instinct for anyone watching that live would be to throw a flag. he demolished him, and the sound of the helmets hitting couldnt be missed. there is no way a ref wouldnt pull out a flag on that

He did demolish him. That was a rough tackle. Abusive.

On the videos posted above.....The first ND DB that made contact led with his shoulder and hit the guy into the second DB. But the second DB's contact was incidental. Second DB also had both hands up in front of him. Not sure which one knocked the guy out...kind of gruesome...but not so sure that a penalty should have occurred. The first DB did sort of lead with his head...call a penalty on that I guess, but he made contact and 'hit' the guy with his shoulder. That first DB could have driven his facemask into the guys kidneys instead, I guess.

The kickoff video was too far away to tell.....did that guy do something illegal? Couldn't tell if he led with helmet and he didn't appear to hit the guy in the back.

Kendall Moore's shot was explosive and awesome. I didn't have the luxury of a replay....they did not explain the penalty at the game....they just said "personal foul"...I had to assume it was 'leading with his helmet'. I still haven't seen the replay....I will say this....helmets are going to hit, they do every play....the only penalty should be when a defensive player lowers his head and leads with it.

I was taught to put my facemask across the guys body, facemask into the chest, and wrap.

The RB lowers his head...because he is getting ready to get hit and he is on his way to a protective fetal position and is getting ready for the blow...haha. Also making himself 'small' and giving the defender a smaller target to attack. I think the offensive guy lowering his head is a 'natural' reaction.

Edited by MantyIrish