Incoming Transfer Portal Tracker

So from the little bit of reading I’ve done, it looks like Texas QB, Hudson Card, may be a possibility. He was a 2021 academic all big 12 and apparently has graduated, so he could potentially get through admissions. I’d be interested in the NC State QB and McCall as well, granted they decide to transfer.

I honestly don’t see a position ND wouldn’t take, maybe RB with the returning players and recruits, but that’s it. 

I have also read that ND is considering changes in regards to accepting transfers. Hopefully the success of USC and Marshall shows how important this is and that if we don’t get with the times, we will be left in the dust. 

Please add any transfer portal players with interest in this thread. 

Outgoing Transfer Portal Tracker:

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

So from the little bit of reading I’ve done, it looks like Texas QB, Hudson Card, may be a possibility. He was a 2021 academic all big 12 and apparently has graduated, so he could potentially get through admissions. I’d be interested in the NC State QB and McCall as well, granted they decide to transfer.

I honestly don’t see a position ND wouldn’t take, maybe RB with the returning players and recruits, but that’s it. 

I have also read that ND is considering changes in regards to accepting transfers. Hopefully the success of USC and Marshall shows how important this is and that if we don’t get with the times, we will be left in the dust. 

Please add any transfer portal players with interest in this thread. 

Take anyone because who knows what the room will look like in a month, then again after the spring. 

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

sorry if already posted

Transferring Western Michigan D-lineman Fiske set to visit Notre Dame

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/transferring-western-michigan-d-lineman-fiske-set-to-visit-notre-dame

This guy is getting a ton of interest from top programs. Losing Foskey and one of the Ademelola’s, we will need some transfers on the d line. 

We have some young talent, but are Ford or Vernon going to be ready? Time will tell. 

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

17 minutes ago, coltssb said:

At this point I’ll take anyone. Haha. Card I guess would be my first choice. Do they try and go after two?  Would that detract from the one they truly want?

I think you go after two. Brennan Armstrong is another candidate. So is McCall if he enters. 

If one loses the contest, I’m sure they’ll transfer the next season if they have any eligibility. If Buchner returns, I doubt they promise the job to anyone. 

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, coltssb said:

At this point I’ll take anyone. Haha. Card I guess would be my first choice. Do they try and go after two?  Would that detract from the one they truly want?

No need to go after two with Buchner, Angeli, and Minchey on the roster. 4 is a good number for a QB room. Technically 5 with Powlus, but Powlus is a pure legacy scholarship and will never see the field.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, JeffV said:

I read that Hudson Card is rumored to be following Tom Herman, new HC at FAU.

That would be a pretty crazy move. He's a former Top 100 recruit who showed well this season, especially against Bama. He is being pursued by a ton of P5 programs. I can't see him turning teams like ND down for FAU just because his old coach went there. Will be interesting to follow.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

That would be a pretty crazy move. He's a former Top 100 recruit who showed well this season, especially against Bama. He is being pursued by a ton of P5 programs. I can't see him turning teams like ND down for FAU just because his old coach went there. Will be interesting to follow.

Completely agree. No idea what the upside of a move to FAU would be other than familiarity with the offense. It seems ANY P5 program would be a better move for him, even if not ND.

• Heart 1

It's hard for me to even figure out who I want as QB1 next year. They all have questions marks, which I suppose is why they are in the portal.

In no particular order:

Card - highly-rated out of HS, played in TX, has shown potential. I view him as Ian Book 2.0. Better arm, more athletic, not afraid to throw it down field. But he doesn't have a ton of experience at this point, so it's not a sure-fire pick.

Armstrong - do you get 2021 version, or 2022 version? He's prone to a lot of interceptions but the guy can sling it and is athletic. Plus, he looks like he should be on the ND team, ha.

Leary - He'd be my #1 for sure if it wasn't for the injury. Who knows how that heals. Will he be ready for spring ball? If not, that's a HUGE risk for ND. 

There's a couple other names being thrown around and I suppose there's probably a surprise or two still to come, but that's how I see it as of now. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

This guy is getting a ton of interest from top programs. Losing Foskey and one of the Ademelola’s, we will need some transfers on the d line. 

We have some young talent, but are Ford or Vernon going to be ready? Time will tell. 

Yup. But doubt Foskey's situation/position has anything to do with things. Totally iDL. 

6 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Yup. But doubt Foskey's situation/position has anything to do with things. Totally iDL. 

True, but having someone like this in the middle gives you the ability to put Mills on the outside. Does Nana stay? Does Botelho stay? The young guys probably aren't ready. It is going to be d line by committee, and the more bodies we have the better. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Am I missing something? Why would a qb come to ND for development? ND hasn’t shown anything to help a qb become a pro. I just do not understand the draw to Notre Dame for a qb. ND is a ball control, run first team, that has numerous top 300 qbs who haven’t developed or lived up to their potential. If you only get 1 free 2nd chance why would you use it on ND?

Just now, BTC4 said:

Am I missing something? Why would a qb come to ND for development? ND hasn’t shown anything to help a qb become a pro. I just do not understand the draw to Notre Dame for a qb. ND is a ball control, run first team, that has numerous top 300 qbs who haven’t developed or lived up to their potential. If you only get 1 free 2nd chance why would you use it on ND?

Will they be a run first team next year? When Coan played they threw like 50 times in the bowl game last year. If Buchner or another runner starts I agree. But if a pocket passer plays I'm not so sure.

• Heart 1

Nana and Botelho are kinda key IMO.  Ademilola coming back would be a nice bonus.  Rubio and Ehrensberger need to be ready to contribute, but I think it's a strong position group (with another offseason to work).  Gobaira, Ford - you expect they'll develop.  I bet one of the younger guys in this group surprise people next fall.

I could see them getting away from the Vyper position as it's evolved and getting back to a truer drop end - IF they can't personnel to step up to Foskey's role.  In that concept, might get a LB-type to see some reps.

If anybody leaves it gets dicey for sure.  Somebody like Fiske could play at multiple positions if they bring a transfer in.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

True, but having someone like this in the middle gives you the ability to put Mills on the outside. Does Nana stay? Does Botelho stay? The young guys probably aren't ready. It is going to be d line by committee, and the more bodies we have the better. 

Mills already plays "big-DE" downs already, right? But Vyper is limited though to 240-260ish types. And have no clue who takes that position next year. Botelho, Nana, Justin (not sure if he has eligibility), or my dark horses... Tuihalamaka or Gobaira. Regardless, we have a lot a bodies. Just need to figure out the new puzzle. 

Edited by OKelleyIrish