Spring Football 2024: Blue-Gold game set for April 20

Message added by Mike,

• 3 weeks later...

As usual I have a ton of questions going into spring football.

Base offensive formation.. 2 TE? 3 WR?

My guess: 3 WR 1 TE 1 RB to start. 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB when Evans gets healhy

Defense:

Nickel a majority of snaps. (4-2-5)  Aztec(Dime-4-1-6) on extra long downs or vs spread passing teams and base(4-3 LB-4ish) only against running teams and in short yardage/goalline) situations.

Put your questions and your guesses along with Spring practice schedule and updates here! 

• Heart 1

I do think Nickel will be majority of their defensive snaps, but I would not mind seeing more 3LBs formations in order to get the young talented LBs more experience.

Not sure for the offensive side of the ball. I wish they would have more 2 RB sets to be honest with Love and Price. I think you will end up being right only because it is the basic lineup for most teams

53 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I do think Nickel will be majority of their defensive snaps, but I would not mind seeing more 3LBs formations in order to get the young talented LBs more experience.

Not sure for the offensive side of the ball. I wish they would have more 2 RB sets to be honest with Love and Price. I think you will end up being right only because it is the basic lineup for most teams

21 or  22 is interesting. Is it I WR 2 TE 2 RB or 2 WR 1 TE 2  RBs?

I could see them experimenting while evans is out especially after Texas A &M next year. 

The only draw back of 2 backs in stunting and blitzing on passing downs. Tight ends are usually better blockers

Both, especially if Evans is healthy. Evans and Raridon are excellent TEs and I believe ND will have plenty of quality WRs. No reason why they couldn't change it up.

2 TEs with 2 RBs to make it look like a heavy run play, play-action, everyone takes off on their routes.

3 WRs with 2 RBs to make it look like a pass play, do some type of RPO or even option play to run it down their throats in a slightly more vacant box.

I honestly do think ND has weapons at each level offensively to hurt the defense in a variety of different ways... AS LONG AS THE OLINE IS ABLE TO HOLD UP!

• Heart 2

It really is an easy schedule for 2024. I just do not see any game where ND would not be the favorite. U$C maybe, but only if they are better than projected as I think Caleb Williams hid many of their flaws and that defense still may be bad next year.

The big 4 games of 2024
Texas A&M - away game - but they are clearly in a rebuilding year
Florida State - home game - they lost a lot of players last year and they looked bad after Travis went down
U$C - away game - their new QB could be better than predicted, but I doubt he is a Caleb Williams type player, the defense needs help still
Louisville - home game - will not be as good this year either. They lost a lot.

Right now, I would consider ND favorites to win every game.

QB + ND upgraded
RB = ND will reload
WR + Will more than likely be better than last year mostly because I highly doubt it gets any worse
TE + Evans and Raridon should be back and both healthy.
OL = May be slightly worse in some areas and slightly better in others (probably the biggest unknown)
DL + Upgraded as I believe Oben > JJB while everything else stays the same and even the backups are more experience now
LB = An unknown as they lose experience, but gain in athleticism and highly rated players with plenty of potential
CB - We lose Hart and replace him with Gray/Mickens, only a slight downgrade because I think Gray/Mickens will be great players
S  = We keep our star Safety and replace the other safety who had experience, but was nothing special

4 + QB, WR, TE, DL
4 RB, OL, LB, S
1 - CB

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 4

12 hours ago, brian_nd88 said:

When is Evans supposed to be able to play again?  

I haven’t seen anything reported for his return.

He had surgery early November, so a six month recovery window would put him at May. I would guess he won’t be active until summer conditioning at the earliest

Let’s just hope that can get him ready for fall camp, but I would not be surprised if he were to miss the first four games of the season.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

If he comes back 100% for the first game, I will be excited about the TE room this year. I think Raridon could be elite as well.

Same here, and agreed about Raridon!

I feel if it all works out, Notre Dame could have two of the best TEs in CFB!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Definitely some nice pieces in the running back room.  Will be interesting to see how Denbrock uses them.

Most definitely!

I’m super excited to see what they do under Denbrock too!

• Heart 1