Returning Players for 2024

On 12/13/2023 at 9:19 PM, Baldy said:

I can kind of agree with that, but trying to figure out who would be good at Mike then? Sneed or Bowen maybe? Makes me think with his experience he would be the best player for that position. What do you think?

I personally think:
Bowen and KVA at MIKE
Sneed and Ziegler/Zinter at WILL
Kiser and Ausberry at Rover

I am not super familiar with Ziegler and Zinter as far as what they would be best at, but I think the starting 3 should be Bowen, Kiser, and Sneed. I think KVA could earn plenty of playing time and he is best as a thumper in the middle. Ausberry could also play WILL. I think the bowl game could show a lot when it comes to the LB corp for next year.

Getting Mills to come back is HUGE, this Dline, if they stay healthy, is going to be legit!

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 2

39 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I personally think:
Bowen and KVA at MIKE
Sneed and Ziegler/Zinter at WILL
Kiser and Ausberry at Rover

I am not super familiar with Ziegler and Zinter as far as what they would be best at, but I think the starting 3 should be Bowen, Kiser, and Sneed. I think KVA could earn plenty of playing time and he is best as a thumper in the middle. Ausberry could also play WILL. I think the bowl game could show a lot when it comes to the LB corp for next year.

Getting Mills to come back is HUGE, this Dline, if they stay healthy, is going to be legit!

Well said, and I completely agree with it all!

• Cheers 1

That could also happen, I think Kiser could be WILL as he is plays both Will and Rover very well. I think Sneed could play either position as well, I think having him in space is what is best for the team. I see Sneed as a more raw version of Jaylon Smith.

Also, from what others have said recently, Zinter is probably one of the biggest linebackers, so he could also compete for the MIKE. From what little I remember, Zeigler is more of an outside backer.

• Leprechaun 1

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

That could also happen, I think Kiser could be WILL as he is plays both Will and Rover very well. I think Sneed could play either position as well, I think having him in space is what is best for the team. I see Sneed as a more raw version of Jaylon Smith.

Also, from what others have said recently, Zinter is probably one of the biggest linebackers, so he could also compete for the MIKE. From what little I remember, Zeigler is more of an outside backer.

I think Kiser will be at Will or Mike, with Bowen at the other spot. Rover does not get as many snaps because they sub out when ND goes to nickel, which is more than 50% of the time. I'm guessing Kiser came back to play one of the two main LB spots. I think Ausberry and Sneed will be Rover, although Sneed seems to be more of a pass rusher than an LB who can cover. I think Ausberry will be really good. 

• Heart 2

It's going to be a very competitive LB room through spring and even summer.  Potential starters are 3 deep.  Some guys are going to make a big jump in the weight room.  Bowl game will offer a glimpse of the current depth chart, but spring will tell the story.

-Kiser at Will.  Bet it.  I concur with tneun, Hoosier & Charlie above.  The Captain will be on the field.

-Zeigler had been packing on (mostly good) weight to play inside, but he runs pretty well.  Looks leaner now, probably b/c it's end of season.  Super athletic.  Had a really good spring last year but then sat out beginning of the season with what sounded like anxiety/mental health issues.  He took a leave of absence for a couple weeks, so that's still something for him to work through and balance.  Michigan kid - always rooting for him.  

-I expect Sneed makes a jump.  Needs to keep adding just a few more pounds and keep his explosiveness and speed.  I like him at Rover.  Super athletic, as well.   Time for him to make plays in all phases or he'll be rotational.

-Bowen looks good but has to balance baseball now.  That's got to be tough.  The whole '23 class, though - Bowen, Ausberry, Zinter - got some special teams work.  That's an impressive freshman group, and all are likely to contribute this year.

-And the '24 kids look good, too!  KVA likely takes a minute to adjust, but by summer I could see him in the 2 deep (at Mike, presumably).

-I'd previously always envisioned Tuihalamaka as our future Mike, but I doubt they'd move him back from Vyper at this point.  But with Cross, Mills, Botelho back and adding Oben, it wouldn't completely shock me if they wanted to get him out of a 3 man Vyper rotation.  Gets his speed back if they ask him to drop 20 lbs.  Kid can play football. 

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

8 hours ago, JeffV said:

-I'd previously always envisioned Tuihalamaka as our future Mike, but I doubt they'd move him back from Vyper at this point.  But with Cross, Mills, Botelho back and adding Oben, it wouldn't completely shock me if they wanted to get him out of a 3 man Vyper rotation.  Gets his speed back if they ask him to drop 20 lbs.  Kid can play football. 

I agree and I personally think it was a mistake to move him to Vyper. Tuihalamaka made some good plays at MIKE in his limited time as a freshmen, really wish he would have stayed there.

• Heart 2

On 12/15/2023 at 2:38 PM, JeffV said:

It's going to be a very competitive LB room through spring and even summer.  Potential starters are 3 deep.  Some guys are going to make a big jump in the weight room.  Bowl game will offer a glimpse of the current depth chart, but spring will tell the story.

-Kiser at Will.  Bet it.  I concur with tneun, Hoosier & Charlie above.  The Captain will be on the field.

-Zeigler had been packing on (mostly good) weight to play inside, but he runs pretty well.  Looks leaner now, probably b/c it's end of season.  Super athletic.  Had a really good spring last year but then sat out beginning of the season with what sounded like anxiety/mental health issues.  He took a leave of absence for a couple weeks, so that's still something for him to work through and balance.  Michigan kid - always rooting for him.  

-I expect Sneed makes a jump.  Needs to keep adding just a few more pounds and keep his explosiveness and speed.  I like him at Rover.  Super athletic, as well.   Time for him to make plays in all phases or he'll be rotational.

-Bowen looks good but has to balance baseball now.  That's got to be tough.  The whole '23 class, though - Bowen, Ausberry, Zinter - got some special teams work.  That's an impressive freshman group, and all are likely to contribute this year.

-And the '24 kids look good, too!  KVA likely takes a minute to adjust, but by summer I could see him in the 2 deep (at Mike, presumably).

Agree with a lot of this. My only comment is that Ziegler will likely not be a factor going forward. I don’t want to get into details because there are only rumors at this point and his struggle with mental health deserves respect/privacy. But it sounds like he is no longer with the team and may leave the University soon. Hopefully he can get the help he needs.

• Heart 3

58 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

Agree with a lot of this. My only comment is that Ziegler will likely not be a factor going forward. I don’t want to get into details because there are only rumors at this point and his struggle with mental health deserves respect/privacy. But it sounds like he is no longer with the team and may leave the University soon. Hopefully he can get the help he needs.

That's unfortunate.  Prayers to him and getting help for whatever he is dealing with.

• Heart 3