National Championship: #1 Michigan vs #2 Washington (1/8/2024)

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

I hate to say this, but the Bama vs scUM game was the defacto title game. I will pull for UW but scUM is going to take them behind the woodshed.

I hope you're wrong.  I can't stomach this cheating program being crowned National Champions.  Thanks a lot Ohio State, Iowa, and Alabama.  You all failed the CFB world.  Washington please be the savior we all need.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I hope you're wrong.  I can't stomach this cheating program being crowned National Champions.  Thanks a lot Ohio State, Iowa, and Alabama.  You all failed the CFB world.  Washington please be the savior we all need.

I was a little skeptical of Michigan before the end of the season.

But, they did what coaches say teams have to do all the time:  win the games on the schedule.  They beat a decent Penn State team, a good Ohio State team, a good Alabama team, and an out-of-their-league Iowa team.  If ND beat PSU, OSU, and Alabama in one season, the 'ND is back' shirts would sell out instantly and Freeman would be given a lifelong contract.

I had not seen Washington play all year.  Penix surprised me.  That dude can flat out play.  And his receivers made remarkable catch after remarkable catch.  The Washington O-line won the Joe Moore Award, so they're not a bad unit.

The other surprise to me in yesterday's games was the Michigan offense.  The OC had showed some serious creativity.  

I think Michigan's O wins the day over Washington's D, but I would not be surprised at all to see Washington win this thing.  Penix, those receivers, and the O-line could just pull it off.  

• Flames 1

On 1/2/2024 at 4:57 AM, IrishGuy said:

I hate to say this, but the Bama vs scUM game was the defacto title game. I will pull for UW but scUM is going to take them behind the woodshed.

This is entirely disagree with, and for the reasons below!

19 hours ago, AnTostal said:

I had not seen Washington play all year.  Penix surprised me.  That dude can flat out play.  And his receivers made remarkable catch after remarkable catch.  The Washington O-line won the Joe Moore Award, so they're not a bad unit.

The thing is I have watched Washington play in quite a few games this season. They struggled at times, but the times they struggled were against good teams, which includes Oregon, which they beat twice, and their rival Washington State. But still, they have a deadly offense, specifically because of Michael Penix Jr. and Rome Odunze! Those two together are electric!

The way I see it is this is going to be a great matchup, because it’s strength versus strength.

I just really hope that Washington pulls it off! I mean, how cool would it be for the PAC-12 to finally win a CFP Championship the year the conference ends!? Like, you just have to push for the Huskies to win it all!!

With that being said, Huskies!! 😝

16 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I mean I hate Alabama just as much as the next person but I just cannot fathom rooting for Michigan in that game as an Irish fan.  Yuck.  
team america vomit GIF

Believe me when I say this, I would never root for Michigan. Same goes for USC!

For this game, I just wanted Alabama to lose. Maybe all of you will think it’s bull, but the way I see it is if you say you want the one team to lose, then you’re technically not rooting for the other team to win. 😜

It’s just at the point now where the level of hate I have for the SEC/SEC fans, and what it has become, has made me hate it more than any ND rival.

Sorry, it’s just the truth. I want all and any SEC team to lose now…no matter what!

However, if both teams could lose, that would be the best! But we all know that’s no longer possible. Too bad they can’t tie anymore, or as jbrown said, wish that the Aliens could take out both teams! 😂🤣 

The ONLY team I hate more than Michigan is Ohio State. I will never root for those two team in any game ever. If they could both lose in their annual game, that would be perfect.  

Edited by AnTostal
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

A couple things I think about this match-up:

1. Coaching matters.  Most of us follow recruiting, at least of ND players.  But, Michigan does not recruit better, on average, than ND.   ND and Michigan are pretty close in terms of overall recruiting classes.  Washington?  Nope.  Not even close.  Almost always their classes are in the 20's and sometimes much lower.

2. Luck matters.  Michigan played their playoff game against a TR offense, and TR kind of buggered the thing at the end of the game.  Not just the final play, but the drive before that as well.  And Michigan had a pretty easy schedule, all the way up to the Ohio State game.  Penn State was decent, and that was their only other 'tough' game.  Washington? I don't know enough about them but I would HAVE to think they had some elements of luck through the season, including other PAC 12 teams losses.

3. If these two teams can manage to get to a championship game, ND should be able to do it too.  If Freeman is who we hope he is.  Coaching and luck.  Seems like the Irish should at least have luck.

• Heart 1