Sun Bowl Discussion: #16 Notre Dame vs #19 Oregon State

5 hours ago, NDLincPark said:

Cackling at the deluded irish 'Fans' (they are not fans, they are homer morons) anointing 3 star noodle arm Angeli to be THE GUY for ND moving forward ,  after an exhibition game

Only ND fans

Harbaugh called.  He’s wondering why you’re trolling ND fans when you’re supposed to be decoding Bama’s signals.  Harbaugh also reiterated that you are NOT to stop at the drag show on the way back to Ann Arbor….ten times is enough for one season, he said…

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

7 hours ago, irishwavend said:

Harbaugh called.  He’s wondering why you’re trolling ND fans when you’re supposed to be decoding Bama’s signals.  Harbaugh also reiterated that you are NOT to stop at the drag show on the way back to Ann Arbor….ten times is enough for one season, he said…

Look, the drag show shouldn’t be off limits… Lincoln has to earn money somehow…

Edited by TexasDomer

Didn’t see the game but the highlights and stats show a dominating performance. 

Here's question:  other than the playoff teams, should rankings change after bowl season any more?  Ohio State lost but had so many opt-outs and transfers. Oregon State and ND both had many of those as well. The teams that show up to play in non-playoff bowls are not the teams that played the entire season and earned the bowl bid. 

A depleted Florida State team plays a depleted Georgia team in what otherwise would be a hugely compelling game. 

I love ND’s win. They’ll probably move up in the polls. But should they?

I think it is fine to change the polls at the end of the year, HOWEVER, opt outs should strongly be factored in to the equation. Example: Penn State should not jump ahead of Ohio State even if they win their bowl game.

It is definitely a tough thing to subjectively measure, but I think there are instances were you can justify it.

I see Notre Dame only moving up one spot right now, probably ahead of Oklahoma, maybe 2 spots if LSU loses. I do not see them jumping the loser of Penn State/Ole Miss (Although I think ND is better than both of those teams). One poll may have ND ahead of Arizona, but not the one that matters probably.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1

13 minutes ago, TexasDomer said:

Bigger question- do rankings even matter after the season?

Agreed….how can you rank anyone based on bowl games where one teams entire first team literally didn’t show up…

This crap is stupid.  Quit letting these guys transfer.  Lock them in to rock solid contracts that say you owe us three years and bowl games.  And, make the NCAA force every team to impose those contracts.

You wanna go to another school and break your contract?  That’s fine but you won’t play ball and you can be just another ordinary student.

This has gotten out of hand.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Winning percentage would be a better measure than just wins since 12 game regular season started after Holtz became coach.  

That’s a good point. I’m sure I could find that, or just calculate it myself.

Marcus Freeman and the staff deserve a ton of credit for having ND ready and fired up to play in the Sun Bowl. More than a few teams looked as though they were just going through the motions during their bowl game. Looking at you OSU, FSU etc.

OSU in particular has no excuse, they always have a top 3 or so recruiting class, their depth chart should look awesome. If I was FSU, I would have wanted to show the BSC they made a big mistake. 

My point is ND lost quite a few players for the bowl game, but still came out and played with some fire/pride. Kudos to MF and his staff and the players!

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1

12 hours ago, irishwavend said:

Agreed….how can you rank anyone based on bowl games where one teams entire first team literally didn’t show up…

This crap is stupid.  Quit letting these guys transfer.  Lock them in to rock solid contracts that say you owe us three years and bowl games.  And, make the NCAA force every team to impose those contracts.

You wanna go to another school and break your contract?  That’s fine but you won’t play ball and you can be just another ordinary student.

This has gotten out of hand.

Definitely it is out of hand. The NCAA is a spent force. They got their asses handed to them in the courts, and the NCAA was wholly unprepared for that. This year they tried to enforce a limit of 1 transfer without having to sit out a year, but a judge somewhere said ‘no can’t do that’. 

Everyone - coaches, admins, fans - can plainly see what the problems are, but the solution(s) not so apparent. 

My guess is the whole mess gets re-organized and the NCAA gets left out of it.

• Flames 1

On 12/29/2023 at 6:59 PM, TexasDomer said:

Stat from CBS—

Friday's result stands as the largest bowl win in Notre Dame history. The Irish previously won the 1978 Cotton Bowl and the 2008 Hawaii Bowl by 28 points

(Emphasis added)

Would love for ND to get to the level of Georgia’s last 2 bowl games margins of victory. Now that’s true dominance. 
Not diminishing the Sun Bowl win. It was tremendous. But in a different area code than where Georgia is. 

They matter only in that they could effect next year's pre-season poll. Which sadly does matter in a lot of ways; I think we all agree that the pre-season poll SHOULDNT matter, but it does matter when teams start losing to each other and it could greatly effect who comes in as the last few teams to make the playoffs.