Sun Bowl Discussion: #16 Notre Dame vs #19 Oregon State

Coming to Texas.  Enjoy your Tex-Mex food!

Thought I’d start up the thread for all-things Sun Bowl.

The El Paso airport is relatively small, so if you’re going, book early.  Also, I recommend the same for rental cars.

if you have the chance, go 30 minutes east of town for dinner at Cattleman’s Steakhouse.

https://cattlemanssteakhouse.com/

Edited by TexasDomer
  • Leprechaun 1

I was stationed in El Paso for about 6 months. I hated it when I first arrived, but it grew on me. Of course, the Mexican food was amazing. 

I was hoping for LSU or Tennessee or some other SEC team we could possibly beat up on. But, I'll take this over Kansas State.

• Cheers 1

El Paso.  

Only a 9 hour drive from Dallas, or 10 from San Diego or Denver.

Ciudad Juarez.  Used to be a highlight.  Today?  Hmmm.

TexasDomer, you seem to have insight.  Most people who go to the game probably won't stay more than one night, two at the most.  Thoughts of places to stay or eat (saw the Cattleman's rec above)?

over the last 10 years, there has been a lot of improvement in El Paso, including nicer hotels and updates and some more upscale dining options.

For a fancier hotel experience, I’d look to the Paseo Del Norte (not Notre, but close!).  Stanton House looks good also.  Disclaimer- I’ve never stayed in either.

I usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express level, and there are a number of similar options, many of which are pretty new and clean.

I’ll try to get more info later

Looking at the Ticketmaster site for the Sun Bowl (https://www.ticketmaster.com/tony-the-tiger-sun-bowl-el-paso-texas-12-29-2023/event/0C005EB1F91A7446 ).  I'm not a ticket hound but find it interesting.  The stadium seats about 46,000. Sun Bowl east side is for PAC-12, west side is for ACC.  ACC side almost completely sold out; resale tickets available.  PAC-12 side still has quite a few tickets for sale that are not resale.  50 yard line tickets: $65 (there are currently 2 left on the ACC side; many on the PAC-12 side).  But, resale: $265 for the same tickets.

Overall, for a bowl game, those are pretty amazing prices, even resale.  I don't know how many tickets were still available before the ND announcement was made yesterday, and I wonder how many ACC-side tickets were bought by people just looking to sell to ND fans.

31 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

DJU out, their backup Aidan Chiles now in the portal, down to qb3 for the bowl game

Looks like Q3 actually has some experience. It seems like he might have been the starter in 2022, or at least started a good amount of their games.

Ben Gulbranson 2022 stats: 121/195 (62.1%), 1,455 yards, 9 TD, 5 INT, 134.8 rating

So, OSU won't be completely helpless at QB, but they have some key suspensions/opt-outs already. Their starting RB is suspended (arrested for DUI), and one of their starting OTs is opting out because he's projected as a first round pick. I'm sure they will have others (along with ND as well).

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

Looks like Q3 actually has some experience. It seems like he might have been the starter in 2022, or at least started a good amount of their games.

Ben Gulbranson 2022 stats: 121/195 (62.1%), 1,455 yards, 9 TD, 5 INT, 134.8 rating

So, OSU won't be completely helpless at QB, but they have some key suspensions/opt-outs already. Their starting RB is suspended (arrested for DUI), and one of their starting OTs is opting out because he's projected as a first round pick. I'm sure they will have others (along with ND as well).

Nice info…I just saw the rb out too