Postgame - #21 ND vs #10 USC (Win 48-20)

I admit that I wasn't expecting much coming into this game, especially after the past few weeks performances.  I just wasn't looking forward to the game at all despite playing our arch rival.  I can't stand Kaleb Williams, and I still remembered last year how we couldn't get to that smug POS.

Wow!  What a difference tonight.  Great game plan by Golden and execution by the defense.  They were playing fired up the whole night.  What a game by Watts, it doesn't get much better for a defender than that!  The whole D played with chips on their shoulders and took it to the condoms.  Traore looks like he will be a good one.

Special teams looked pretty good too, minus Snead running into the punter.  Two FG's and a KO return for a TD.  More of this please.

The offense was pretty meh for big stretches tonight again.  Why are we so averse to hitting quick routes like slants to open things up a bit?  TE seams should have been there too.  Running to the A gaps all the time nets next to nothing.  Faison is becoming very reliable for us, he's good.  I think we are still dealing with banged up WR, which is hurting us.  Tyree had a pretty good night overall.  I can't remember if they got any sacks on Hartman.  Hartman had that one good designed run for a first down.  We need more like that where he can roll out a pass or run, making D's respect that.

Really happy for the team and staff tonight.  They need the rest and to get healthy.  Big night for recruiting, this will pay dividends.

• Flames 2

Great win, period !!!!!!

Great game plan by Al Golden

Defensive Line came to play. For that matter, the entire D came to play. And Watts, of course!

ND kicks USC's butt all over the field, and there are still some ND fans complaining about the O. The final score was 48-20, enjoy it.

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Great win, period !!!!!!

Great game plan by Al Golden

Defensive Line came to play. For that matter, the entire D came to play. And Watts, of course!

ND kicks USC's butt all over the field, and there are still some ND fans complaining about the O. The final score was 48-20, enjoy it.

I'm enjoying the win.  I'm sure I fall into that complainer category about the offense.  The offense changed after the OSU loss.  One thing I've noticed in the games since is how many times we "prairie dog" for play calls from the sidelines.  I don't remember seeing it much before Duke, and I think it's screwing us up.  Honestly I think it is messing up Hartman and his feel, making things too cerebral with the "perfect play call".  I think Hartman relies on what he sees and feels when he's out there, somewhat a sandlot feel to his game approach.  Maybe I'm wrong. 

He hasn't looked comfortable, nor has the offense as a whole since OSU.  In my mind he is being limited and knows that the calls coming in aren't working with what he's seeing out there.  Hartman is experienced enough to audible in and out of plays real time and pick something that he is confident running.  Just my opinion.

• Heart 2

Thank you to the person that posted two great seats for $67 yesterday at noon! Bought ‘‘em and headed to south bend. This was the best ND game I’ve been to. Watched the game this morning and the coverage does ZERO justice to how hard ND was hitting last night. The only downer was that suc band playing that suc song over and over!
congrats to ND Football apron that assbeating!!!!!

• Cheers 2
  • Leprechaun 1

2 hours ago, Joey D.... said:

Thank you to the person that posted two great seats for $67 yesterday at noon! Bought ‘‘em and headed to south bend. This was the best ND game I’ve been to. Watched the game this morning and the coverage does ZERO justice to how hard ND was hitting last night. The only downer was that suc band playing that suc song over and over!
congrats to ND Football apron that assbeating!!!!!

Wow congrats on the seats, very nice!

2 hours ago, estimebicep said:

Even though he hasnt been punting as well the last few games, is he the fastest punter ever? For him to chase down the usc's speedster, i was dumbfounded. Can he play wide receiver? 

That was an amazing thing to see. He was running faster than the USC guy. 

• Flames 1

Nice to see Freeman scolding Watts a bit after that fumble/TD for Watts lollygaging into the EZ and nonchalantly holding the ball.  Good teaching moment and keeping Watts grounding during his career game.

Kind of reminds me of the scene from Major League when Willie Mays Hayes makes the basket catch on the pop up.  Comes back to the dugout and Coach Lou tells him, "nice catch, don't ever f'ing do it again!"  🤣

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1

7 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

Nice to see Freeman scolding Watts a bit after that fumble/TD for Watts lollygaging into the EZ and nonchalantly holding the ball.  Good teaching moment and keeping Watts grounding during his career game.

Kind of reminds me of the scene from Major League when Willie Mays Hayes makes the basket catch on the pop up.  Comes back to the dugout and Coach Lou tells him, "nice catch, don't ever f'ing do it again!"  🤣

he only had one hand on the ball during the return and Freeman's like "not on my football field" the receiver was coming behind him to attempt to strip the ball. Like you said. Great teaching moment.

• Heart 1

Great win!!  I always favor being unpredictable on both offense and defense.  I felt that the D was but the offense still is somewhat.  The guys were clearly up for this game.  Can the coaching staff keep it that way game in, game out.  See Louisville losing to Pitt after their big win last week.

The pressure the D put on Williams was beautiful.  No reason to not do that with NDs corners.  

I get the WRs still aren't where they should be but you have to put some pressure on the opposing D to not stack the box.  I never would have guessed that Hartman would put up better stats at Wake Forest than ND.  

• Leprechaun 1

This was my first game in the stadium this season after watching the Marshall loss last year. 

I know they say home field advantage is 3 points, but in the modern era I think it’s 7 easily. I’m probably the oldest poster here (1st game 1965!) and there are a lot of people who don’t like the energy of the music and multimedia, but it pushes the crowd ALL GAME LONG. The energy in the stadium was incredible. ND is once again a very tough place to play, particularly at night. 

Kudos to Golden. The D has been solid all year long , but his game plan to contain Williams in the pocket was really executed well and proof that he learned and adjusted from last year. Lots of pressure on Williams, which led to the interceptions. 

I was happy to see the offense running game going to it’s strength, which is Joe Alt. Early in the game they ran inside and our right guard(Spindler I think) was totally blown up by the USC D lineman. I thought “here we go again “, but from then on they ran a lot of successfully using off tackle plays behind Alt. 

It’s hard to see speed watching TV, but watching it live Tyree is the only receiver who would have a chance to play at USC. He should get at least 10 touches every game. Everyone else, including Flores, are possession receivers relative to USC speed. Freeman has got to upgrade the speed in his receiving corps. I saw Holtz do it throughout the team from 1986-88. If Freeman can do it with his receiving corps and keep recruiting Morrison type speed in the secondary he has a chance to do something special. 

Kudos to Price, who isn’t getting a lot of carries, but showed how much lateral quickness and breakaway speed he has on that kickoff return. Totally brought the momentum back in ND’s favor. That’s a guy who could play right now at a lot of places. 

I haven’t witnessed and participated in that kind of collective joy at ND stadium in a long time. Let’s hope Freeman can keep it going. He really showed a lot of the strength and resolve of his character in his post game press conference, and I think the team and coaches fed off of it this week. He still has a lot to learn, but he’s a rock solid motivator. 

Edited by Frankus
  • Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1

2 hours ago, AnTostal said:

That was an amazing thing to see. He was running faster than the USC guy. 

He also helped take down #1 earlier when it looked like he (#1) would score.

A real asset - versus the $C kicker who wiffed on ND's 99 yard KO return.

A good night for special teams and the defense.

• Flames 1