Post Game - #10 Notre Dame at #25 Louisville (Lose 33-20)

1 hour ago, Morgandonor said:

This team is hard to watch. The OL is just bad. Hell the whole team is bad. Our DBs are Horrible our pass rush is trash. This team is not good. 

News flash have you ever noticed all the teams like Michigan,  Penn State...FSU, these team were garbage and are now better than us. They never grow talent, they always plateu, they are never really great and we are always average and we will continue to be average. All people do is make excuses for this school. Call a spade a spade they are not good  and not worth your time or energy. At least I can stop watching them for the year. If I wanted to watch bad football and horrible coaching, I would walk down the street to my local high-school on Friday night. 

MarcusnFreeman is not the guy. 

Give me my theme music!!!!

Fine by me, especially if that means you’ll stop coming here to cry like a huge man baby. 👋🏼

• Flames 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

Freeman panicked on the 4th and long play. I don't know if it was an act of machismo - " great players make plays" etc.  or frustration with his offense, or what, but it was a panicked rookie strategic mistake. 

Our offense is a grab bag of mediocrity, with no core competence anywhere. 

I know we're in the "brand" era of college football players, but I'm sick of seeing the camera cut away to Sam Hartman. He lost me when we appeared to have some offensive momentum going and instead of scrambling and getting the 2nd down 1st down, he slid and it was 3rd and 3. 

3rd and short all night reminded me of Marshall last year, where they brought unblocked pressure and tackled our backs just as they received the ball in the backfield. Like last year, we never made them pay for it. They always talk about self scouting, but either Parker didn't watch that game, or he wasn't seeing it and calling plays to exploit it. Either way, he failed 

I don't know whose idea it was to play Billy Schrauth at both guards and play Kristofic at center, but a cohesive line is paramount and if you're contemplating changes, you do it during the week. The offensive line, which was supposed be a strength, played awful and looked unprepared to handle Louisville's pressure. 

Louisville's coach said their game plan was to have Hartman have to beat them deep. With all the pressure Hartman was getting, you move the pocket to allow more time for receivers to cross the field deep. ND never did that. After the one deep TD they scored on, they never threw to Faison again. In fairness to Hartman, Tyree dropped a TD pass. 

Perhaps the weather will help us, but I don't like our chances vs USC and Clemson could be a loss as well. Our offense looks like it's being coordinated by a guy with one (failed) season as a coordinator and I don't think he has the experience or talent to right the ship. 

I don't have a problem with Golden or the defense. Golden is getting far more out of his talent than Parker and they've been on the field way too much as the O does nothing. . They finally broke down. 

Edited by Frankus
  • Flames 1

I have felt from the hiring that Freeman wasn't ready for head coach, and it's showing.  He really threw the players under the bus after the Ohio State loss, which just added to the gut wrenching loss.  He lost any confidence I had left in him at that point. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Venables is a second year coach. Seems like he has his team moving in the right direction. 
A team with 5 turnovers pretty much never wins. 
But, there are a lot of issues with the coaching. And how the coaches design plays and call plays put players in position for success as well as turnovers and failure. 
Just maddening. ND should be better at this juncture than that.

If you read the bios/experience of OU's coordinator Jeff Lebby vs  Gerard Parker you'll see a profound difference in success and experience. Getting an elite play caller should be step #1 during the off-season. 

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, domergirl said:

I have felt from the hiring that Freeman wasn't ready for head coach, and it's showing.  He really threw the players under the bus after the Ohio State loss, which just added to the gut wrenching loss.  He lost any confidence I had left in him at that point. 

Watching the post game press conference, Freeman has the look of a man who knows he needs to fix his problems on offense, but (expectedly) has no idea how to, being a first time coach with little to no offensive strategy experience who hired an offensive coordinator with very little experience. I don't know why they panicked and hired Parker after striking out on Ludwig, but it was a big risk on an inexperienced guy and that gamble is failing. 

1 hour ago, domergirl said:

Maybe Freeman is in a bit over his head, but he’s always trying to improve! And not once has he ever thrown his players under the bus. Kelly did that! And Marcus always holds himself and his coaches accountable, and again, unlike Kelly.

We also need to blame Swarbrick for creating this stupid schedule, because I don’t think any coach could have navigated it the way Freeman and his coaches have so far, no matter the experience!

• Heart 2

Freeman & Parker, you have no answer on offense to beat a stacked box???  

Defensively, ND has to stop 2 Louisville players Jordan and Thrash.  Make them beat you with players other than those 2. Didn't get it done.

If I'm Bevacqua I bring in Freeman on Monday and here's how I lay it out.  

For the most part, I'm not here to tell you how to get it done but the results have to be better.  Need you to finish out this season strong. If that happens, I am willing to give you another season to see if you can get us to the playoff but at least a couple of changes are going to be necessary.  

I am going to require you to replace our coordinators.  Beyond that, it's up to you.  I would encourage you to look beyond coaches you have connections with as your job is on the line.  I will support you financially to bring in the top OC/DC that you choose. If you choose to replace positional coaches, I will support you in that regard too. 

Ball is in your court Marcus. 

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

ND got outplayed, Outcoached, outclassed tonight. No excuses. They didn’t do anything that put them in a position to win. Moving on. I’ve stopped letting 18-24 year olds ruin or make my weekends anymore. Am I happy they lost? No, but I’m going to get on just fine

I wish I could get to this point in my life.  At 40, I still let these little bastards ruin my day lol.

• Laughing Leprechaun 1

2 hours ago, Frankus said:

If you read the bios/experience of OU's coordinator Jeff Lebby vs  Gerard Parker you'll see a profound difference in success and experience. Getting an elite play caller should be step #1 during the off-season. 

Exactly. Parker is probably a terrific dude. But how in earth did ND end up with him as OC?  

44 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I wish I could get to this point in my life.  At 40, I still let these little bastards ruin my day lol.

I so feel this, because that is 100% what they do to me too!

Notre Dame makes me like…

feels GIF

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

Fine by me, especially if that means you’ll stop coming here to cry like a huge man baby. 👋🏼

You an excuse maker as well. This team is horrible. You voted for Biden didn't you. You can see the smoke but refuse to believe that there's a fire. They deserve criticism apparently you were watching a different game. That's cool.  You can be a whipping post all you want. I refuse to let this coaching staff get away with the horrific job they are doing with so much talent. If you want to protect them then don't show it on TV and make it a muti million dollar business if you don't won't criticism. Remove NIL deals. I won't critize them anymore. 

Cool?

• Laughing Leprechaun 1

9 minutes ago, Morgandonor said:

You an excuse maker as well. This team is horrible. You voted for Biden didn't you. You can see the smoke but refuse to believe that there's a fire. They deserve criticism apparently you were watching a different game. That's cool.  You can be a whipping post all you want. I refuse to let this coaching staff get away with the horrific job they are doing with so much talent. If you want to protect them then don't show it on TV and make it a muti million dollar business if you don't won't criticism. Remove NIL deals. I won't critize them anymore. 

Cool?

But how is our opinion relevant to the final outcome? I'm been around for here for a decade and you come around for losses, leave when you are satisfied with the outcome and comment again when ND loses again. 

The value in this is the community. Be part of the community.

• Flames 1

18 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

But how is our opinion relevant to the final outcome? I'm been around for here for a decade and you come around for losses, leave when you are satisfied with the outcome and comment again when ND loses again. 

The haters always come out when they lose.  

• Flames 1

48 minutes ago, Morgandonor said:

Cool?

Oh, dang! I touched a nerve. 😂 Morgandonor over here like…

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

29 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

10 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

The haters always come out when they lose.  

Both of you are right on the money here, because he adds zero value to this board. Time for him to take his own advice, and move on.

Freeman isn’t going anywhere and shouldn’t until he proves he cannot be successful over 4 years. If you don’t give him the same chance you gave the bad white coaches after what happened with Willingham it will go badly.

I am mad about the loss, I think Freeman has the program moving in the right direction but he is making rookie mistakes. Can’t put the genie back in the bottle, the administration took a flier on someone untested and now we take our lumps. I don’t think Freeman needs to be run out of town at this point. I do think he needs to go and get a good veteran OC, preferably someone with some head coach experience, to help him navigate this position. 

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

Freeman isn’t going anywhere and shouldn’t until he proves he cannot be successful over 4 years. If you don’t give him the same chance you gave the bad white coaches after what happened with Willingham it will go badly.

I am mad about the loss, I think Freeman has the program moving in the right direction but he is making rookie mistakes. Can’t put the genie back in the bottle, the administration took a flier on someone untested and now we take our lumps. I don’t think Freeman needs to be run out of town at this point. I do think he needs to go and get a good veteran OC, preferably someone with some head coach experience, to help him navigate this position. 

Exactly right!

I don’t think freeman should be fired, but in no way is the program moving in the right direction.  Based on the team performance this year, I don’t see it.  I can’t imagine that underachieving offensive line play, poor play calling, poor tackling, bad game management and losing to a terrible Marshall team at home are all indicators of a team on the rise.  We have beaten one quality opponent in Duke this year.  It s nice to have that hope, but reality says something different.  I hope Freeman can turn it around because he seems like a great person.  I am not sold on his coaching ability at this point though.

• Cheers 1