Hold on Nelly! I'm not sold yet on Sam.

Not saying he's going to be a bust at all BUT, Jack Coan did pretty good as did Book. I have not seen anything "yet" to tell me he's any better than either other than better arm strength (probably) than Book. The biggest standout for me in 1 game was the play calling and in-game adjustments (what took so f****** long?!) I'll be satisfied if Hartman is just as good as Coan but some people are talking (shhhhh) Heisman. C'mon now....Who here can give me a reason to believe Sam will be any better than say Book or Coan?

18 minutes ago, SpeedsterX said:

Not saying he's going to be a bust at all BUT, Jack Coan did pretty good as did Book. I have not seen anything "yet" to tell me he's any better than either other than better arm strength (probably) than Book. The biggest standout for me in 1 game was the play calling and in-game adjustments (what took so f****** long?!) I'll be satisfied if Hartman is just as good as Coan but some people are talking (shhhhh) Heisman. C'mon now....Who here can give me a reason to believe Sam will be any better than say Book or Coan?

ACC Leader in career TDs. Just to start. Its a justified opinion until we get to the bigger opponents though. Good thread.

9 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

ACC Leader in career TDs. Just to start. Its a justified opinion until we get to the bigger opponents though. Good thread.

ACC leader in career TD's may not equal, such as, a Trevor Lawrence. Who do honestly believe is the better college QB if you had to put money on it?

1 hour ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Whooo Nelly,,,, yes, I do believe in game experience. Although I am still leery, that is an excellent stat to believe in. Thanks Faith! Anyone have anything else? How does he perform against Top5-10 teams? I know Google is out there! I'm fricking lazy! Help a brutha out people!

8 hours ago, SpeedsterX said:

Not saying Heisman.  He's more mobile and can move around in the pocket better than Coan.  He has a better arm than Book and will hang in the pocket longer, even to the last moment before getting hit in order to make his reads and progressions.  As far as a passing QB he's better than anything we've had since first year Kizer, perhaps since Clausen.

As you alluded to, OC adjustments and play calling will also go a long way towards Hartman and the offenses success.  The book is still out there on that matter.

Hartman for the most part has been a very serviceable PASSING QB.  He has a stinker game every so often.  That seems to coincide with the amount of pressure he gets, which I believe our OL will help out with not to mention having a solid run game.  I think his strengths and the O strengths are complimentary of each other and will make each better, hopefully.

Edited by jessemoore97
  • Flames 1

Hartman is ot as athletic as Book, but the things is excels at you can spot easily.  The TD he threw to Greathouse where he sidestepped the blitzing LB is a play where Coan likely would have been sacked and Book would have tucked it to run.

The TB to Thomas and the post route TD to Greathouse he threw in anticipation before the WR got open, which is not something Book was ever comfortable with.  Yes the Greathouse post was a little underthrown, but he was about to take a shot to his knees as he threw it.

• Heart 3

For me  it was the poise.  I don't know about you but one of the most frustrating things over the last decade were those damn timeouts on the first play of a drive..OR THE FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME!  Hartman is cool and calm and get the guys where they need to be.  the poise alone puts him in a class above Book and Coan for me.  The talent is clearly there too

Edited by InLikeFlynn
  • Heart 2
  • Flames 1

56 minutes ago, D Fence said:

Hartman is ot as athletic as Book, but the things is excels at you can spot easily.  The TD he threw to Greathouse where he sidestepped the blitzing LB is a play where Coan likely would have been sacked and Book would have tucked it to run.

The TB to Thomas and the post route TD to Greathouse he threw in anticipation before the WR got open, which is not something Book was ever comfortable with.  Yes the Greathouse post was a little underthrown, but he was about to take a shot to his knees as he threw it.

And consider how much the previous staff seemed averse to throwing those routes over the years.

1 hour ago, D Fence said:

The TD he threw to Greathouse where he sidestepped the blitzing LB is a play where Coan likely would have been sacked and Book would have tucked it to run.

The more that you can make opposing defenses pay for blitzing, the less teams will actually send pressure. This makes is easier for the OL, etc.

28 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

The TD where he could have run it, but found the WR in the corner was the one that sold me with poise. Even Estime turns around to start to block. Coan isnt escaping that sack, Book would have scrambled (and very well may have made it)

1 hour ago, D Fence said:

I watched that play and my first thought was wow, haven't seen an ND QB make a play like that in a long time. I am all in on Sam Hartman. Better than Ian Book, better than Jack Coan, for sure!

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

Simple explanation. Two plays…

The side step of the Navy defender and the perfect pass to Greathouse for the TD-  Coan would have been sacked.
 Book would have ran around for five minutes trying to find anybody but can’t read a defense so he runs it himself for 10 yds. 

Navy blitzes the A gap on third down but Hartman(I believe checks out of it) checks down to Estime for a 17 yard gain and a first down.  

Coan again gets sacked. 
Book May escape for a qb run or he will attempt to throw to Estime. Only to get it knocked down. 

Either way, the guy that holds multiple ACC records, multiple starts, made Wake relevant for Wake, knows how to run an RPO, can read a defense, has seen just about anything a college defense will throw at him. He’s Peyton Manning with the Broncos. Smart, Savy, unflappable, with just enough arm strength to get the job done. 

• Flames 3

Hartman just didn't seem to panic under pressure.  He kept his eyes downfield.  Seemed to sense blitzes, and knew where to throw when the blitz came.  Side-stepped defenders, didn't tuck and run.  

He's no Tom Brady.  But he did remind me of Brady in the sense that a guy without true athletic prowess and mobility can absolutely do an outstanding job as quarterback.  You don't have to be the fastest or have the strongest arm.  Awareness and ability.  He has those traits.  Better than Book or Coan.  At least in the first game at ND. (and I reiterate, I am not calling him Tom Brady.)

• Leprechaun 1

I’m sold on Sam for a few reasons…..

• he doesn’t have Rees holding him back
  • he doesn’t have coaches that can’t find a way to get talented players on the field(Greathouse 2 touchdowns in his first game,  wouldn’t happen under Kelly/Rees/Alexander)
  • he’s much more advanced in reading and reacting to defenses
  • he’s taken over 3500 snaps and seems like he’s cool under pressure

sam is the “King of Dublin”

Edited by Joey D....
  • Heart 3

But in all seriousness Book, Coan, Buchner, Pyne, Wimbush, Zaire, Rees don't have shit on Hartman.  The only Irish QBs in the last decade plus that come anywhere near Hartman are Kizer, who's talent was mostly wasted here, and Golson, who was a headcase from what I remember.  Hartman doesn't have the legs that Book, Zaire, or Wimbush had but he can move enough and smart enough that he won't get into trouble back there very often.  He's not going to be the statue in the pocket that Coan was.  And like mentioned, Hartman has what none of the other Irish QBs have had in over a decade.  EXPERIENCE.  I don't wanna get too caught up in one game against Navy, but, the writing looks like it is on the wall here.  We heard it all summer.  It came to fruition on the field this past weekend.  His tools along with the talent around him and this staff's willingness to trust its talent, young and old, are going to take this team to fun places.  I think we're going to be in for a ride this year. 

• Cheers 3