Notre Dame Blue-Gold Game Thread (4/22/2023)

2 hours ago, ND_JACK said:

After attending the Blue and Gold game 2 things I know for sure.

1. Hartman is our # 1 QB

2. That was the worst weather for a Blue Gold game EVER

I think it’s clear Jayden Thomas is wr1, as well

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

Peacock sucks. Screen froze coming out of nearly every commercial break. 

Hartman looks good.  Polished and has a great feel for the game.

Any defense going against Buchner is going to stack the box and force him to make quick decisions.  Don't know if Buchner just doesn't understand what an open window is with his receivers or if it's something else.  He must be more relaxed in practice because by all accounts his spring was really good. Even if Buchner isn't good I am confident that ND is bringing in better QBs so the future is bright.

I could comment all day long.  Having a QB like Hartman will allow ND to be in every game and there's no way ND loses to teams like Marshall or Stanford with him in the lineup.  

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2
  • Trophy 1

Everywhere I've read the consensus is Hartman looked good and TB not so much. 

Having a QB like Hartman could really open up the offense in all sorts of ways.  Seeing the whole field and not locking into one WR, namely Mayer, is going to cause defenses to have to be accountable for all the receivers.  And it's good to hear that the young receivers are working hard and showing out giving us that many more viable targets.  They have to know that there is a real threat that the ball will get thrown to them any play and to run their routes and get open.

Obviously the run game should benefit as well from a better passing game.  If things go well defenses are going to have to loosen up and can't  stack the box.  Hopefully the play calling based on personnel and formation won't be as predictable either.

In the end having Hartman gives us a stop gap at the position for a year again.  The staff has got to get the next guys ready for '24 though, Carr shouldn't be relied on to step in right away because he's probably not ready.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, mcgov12 said:

I think it’s clear Jayden Thomas is wr1, as well

Well, keep in mind that Merriweather and Colzie might have performed a lot better if Hartman was throwing to them. I will say Thomas looks a lot quicker and more agile than last season. Our top three receivers (all fast and 6'3+) are going to be nightmare matchups for any defensive backfield. Sam Hartman won the lottery (if only he transferred last year!). 

Greathouse is really intriguing to me. I made a thread about the freshmen and he was the freshman I picked to make the biggest impact. ND has typically recruited physically imposing receivers (Claypool, Boykin, Robinson, Floyd) or burners (Tate, Brown, Fuller). Greathouse is maybe the most polished receiver ND has ever signed. His route running is going to create a ton of separation and he is going to be money on third downs. I wonder if he forces his way on the field or if they try to get him on the field with 4/5 wide receiver sets. Did we use any 4/5 wr sets?

1 hour ago, ndomer4 said:

Well, keep in mind that Merriweather and Colzie might have performed a lot better if Hartman was throwing to them. I will say Thomas looks a lot quicker and more agile than last season. Our top three receivers (all fast and 6'3+) are going to be nightmare matchups for any defensive backfield. Sam Hartman won the lottery (if only he transferred last year!). 

Greathouse is really intriguing to me. I made a thread about the freshmen and he was the freshman I picked to make the biggest impact. ND has typically recruited physically imposing receivers (Claypool, Boykin, Robinson, Floyd) or burners (Tate, Brown, Fuller). Greathouse is maybe the most polished receiver ND has ever signed. His route running is going to create a ton of separation and he is going to be money on third downs. I wonder if he forces his way on the field or if they try to get him on the field with 4/5 wide receiver sets. Did we use any 4/5 wr sets?

Well said. Great house didn’t even look like a freshman out there. He is physically ready for the college game, without a doubt.

• Heart 2

Mike
This post was recognized by Mike!

Baldy was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 20 points.

9 hours ago, SpeedsterX said:

What's the green jerseys mean? Freshmen?

The green jerseys meant those players played for both teams.

Edited by Baldy
  • Heart 1
  • Cheers 1