Game Thread - #13 Notre Dame vs. Navy (8/26/23)

5 minutes ago, Baldy said:

I never made it to Dublin, but I landed in Shannon on my way to Kuwait years ago. I still have no idea why they allowed us to do it, but everyone on the flight shut the bar down in the terminal, where we literally drank every drop of beer they had left. 😂 It was such a wonderful time being able to get drunk once more before being gone for months where we couldn’t. 😜 Guinness in Ireland is so delicious, and way better than in the states too!! I also get wanting to stay, because I loved all of my trips to Europe. Spain was my absolute favorite, followed closely by Germany. Thanks for your service as well fellow veteran!

Baldy! My guy. Appreciate your service too man. Thank you guys for what you’ve done for all of us to be here stateside and enjoy seasons and fun times such as this.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, NDFBL19 said:

Baldy! My guy. Appreciate your service too man. Thank you guys for what you’ve done for all of us to be here stateside and enjoy seasons and fun times such as this.

Most definitely! And thank you for the support! 😁

2 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

Front of the helmet will include the Irish flag - nice touch.

I saw front of helmet and I was a little worried. The front bumper though, that’s a nice touch. I like it. Subtle and original. Well done.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, 97domer said:

Thanks for your service! I paid for ND tuition through an Army ROTC scholarship which makes me love the ND vs. military academy games and appreciate the military history of the school!

I took the wife and kids to Ireland for spring break last year. It was fantastic - what a beautiful country! 

I was talking to a friend of mine when I got back about how truly different and better the Guinness was in Ireland. He had recently hired an Engineer who worked for Guinness and learned that there really is a difference. Granted, this is 3rd-hand so I can't speak to the actual validity of this, but...

1) They have various quality measures for Guinness. The highest rated Guinness stays in Dublin. Tier 2 stays in Ireland. Tier 3 stays in the UK

2) They have very strict quality control measures in Ireland and even stricter quality measures in Dublin. I believe he mentioned in Dublin that they have quality teams that go to the bars (weekly in Dublin and every 3 weeks in the rest of Ireland?) to test/clean lines, measure if it's at the proper temp, ensure the right gas mixture, ensure the bartenders are doing a proper pour, etc. They even measure how many micro-scratches are in the inside of glasses from being washed. If there are too many, it can hold onto the carbonation (or something like that) making it taste slightly more bitter - they replace the glasses. They also have their own line-cleaning technology they use. 

3) Obviously, it's fresher. Partly because it's closer but largely because it is constantly flowing so there is never Guinness sitting in a line or a keg that has been around for awhile. 

Anyways, some interesting facts. I always assumed it was a mental thing. You're in Ireland, on vacation, in a wonderful pub, surrounded by some of the nicest people in the world so it should taste better. But I can say that there is a significant difference.

Final note on Ireland. The people are absolutely amazing. Almost uncomfortably nice and welcoming. It was one of the things that most stood out to me from our trip. 

To all of those there - enjoy! and GO IRISH!

Screenshot2023-08-24100124.png.41a09244b0ee907fc8c9d1f1fc6cd0ed.png

I greatly appreciate the support!

And thanks for the back story on Guinness. And now I know why it’s so much better there! That’s just so amazing!

I also hope to go back one day, and be able to experience it more, because I have heard great things! What you’ve said just makes me what to go more!

• Heart 3

I guess I have some off season optimism and good vibes going because I just feel like this team rolls from opening kickoff. You’ve had all camp to prepare for the unique Navy run game, feels vastly different than if you’re coming off a 4 quarter emotionally taxing game and have a shorter week to do install/prep.

• Heart 2

On 8/23/2023 at 10:03 PM, NDFBL19 said:

I know ND_Jack is over there.. I'm sure tearing up Dublin.. Someone post a picture of a pint their having! Lol. I need it sitting in this office passing the days. Hahaha.

Just got to Dublin this evening. Was in Killarney and it was hard to leave once you fin a bar with your name….lol

IMG_0569.jpeg

• Heart 4

15 hours ago, NDFBL19 said:

This is awesome Jack! We’ve got some good Guinness info… What was the Murphy clan drinking at Murphy’s? Any special Irish pours that aren’t so common back here state side?

The Guinness Brewery tours for Friday, Saturday and Sunday were all sold out. I tried to crash it but no luck. Crazy long ass line of mostly ND fans waiting to get inside. Went to Temple bar neighborhood just down the street…..tons of bars….crazy it’s noon and already big crowds drinking and live music in most bars and it’s only Friday.

oh I tried the local whiskey…..Paddy whiskey…..excellent soooo smooth. And I’m not even a whiskey drinker but that might change now…lol

Edited by ND_JACK
  • Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

Is it me or does the green logo on the white shirt not look like North Dakota?  Maybe it is just me.. But I need a little gold trim or splattering of true navy on it.  Now the travel jacket.. Those things are sweet. Vintage feel. Well done Under Armor.

• Heart 1