Game Thread - #13 Notre Dame vs. Navy (8/26/23)

While I LOVE the outcome, there are big games ahead. ND needs a backup QB who has attempted real passes in real games. I think Angeli should have played the entire 4th quarter. I’d rather the score be 35-10, with Angeli playing an entire quarter, than 42-3, with Angeli handing off every play except for one fairly ridiculous pass. 
But, Hartman is the QB ND hasn’t had since…well, in a very long time. Gotta love that. 

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

Well done ND coaches and players!!  I could write 5 paragraphs about everything that I like. ND doesn't normally dominate Navy like that.  Having a Heisman level QB makes a huge difference. 

Negatives that I saw and I'm nitpicking, Merriweather looked lost and I would have preferred to get Angeli more time/passes.

At the end of the season ND will need to determine whether they will stick with the QBs on the roster for '24 or go to the portal again.  Only way to do that is to see Angeli and Minchey play a little.  Thinking the backups will get more time next week.  Just a slight counter to that.  I would like to see Hartman build his Heisman candidacy.  It will only help ND to have Hartman as a contender for the award.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Well done ND coaches and players!!  I could write 5 paragraphs about everything that I like. ND doesn't normally dominate Navy like that.  Having a Heisman level QB makes a huge difference. 

Negatives that I saw and I'm nitpicking, Merriweather looked lost and I would have preferred to get Angeli more time/passes.

At the end of the season ND will need to determine whether they will stick with the QBs on the roster for '24 or go to the portal again.  Only way to do that is to see Angeli and Minchey play a little.  Thinking the backups will get more time next week.  Just a slight counter to that.  I would like to see Hartman build his Heisman candidacy.  It will only help ND to have Hartman as a contender for the award.

I love this! And I know I just made it, but go to the post game thoughts thread and post your thoughts for this game there. 😁

53 minutes ago, irishrush said:

The only negative for me was that we again failed to get a back up QB some quality time.  I'm not sure why Angeli wasn't in towards the start of the quarter.  How big of a cushion did we need?

I agree, but Hartman continuing to build live game rapport with the offense is important too. Hopefully next week and week 4 Angeli gets a bunch of reps. 

Great day though. So nice to have a strong QB and a great start. 

• Flames 1

Just now, Big23Head said:

I agree, but Hartman continuing to build live game rapport with the offense is important too. Hopefully next week and week 4 Angeli gets a bunch of reps. 

Had to feel Great to see JD Price score his first. You called How good he would be. #12 got a few runs in too. I forget his name(no I don't Love)

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

True.  That was how I rationalized it.  Hopefully there will be plenty of opportunities.

I'd really like to see him get in for a series earlier in a game after we are up a few and not wait until the last 3 minutes though.

• Heart 3

Usually I have a list of things that I think need cleaned up between now and next Saturday and maybe it’s coupled with the high of welcoming in a new season and a dominate win, but I have nothing… Not sure we’ll find anything out next week, just continue to get better and build to the next. Onward.