2023 Projected Depth Chart

The more question marks you have for your projected starting lineup, the more all american level players you need to make up for it.  I don't have any analysis to back up my thoughts.  Ideally, I would think those #s should be fairly equal or of course, favor the side of the all american level players on your team.  

I see far more question marks than all american level players for next year's projected lineup.  As far as I can see, the only way to overcome that is to have a few transcendent type players on the team that produce enough to influence wins almost on their own.  For instance, if NDs QB has a heisman type season, that would go a long way towards making up for that gap. From my perspective I see ND competing for a New Year's six bowl next year vs a CFP spot.  

• Heart 1

3 of the 4 CFP participants had 4 All-Americans while Ohio St had 6.

So based on this very small sample size, the floor seems to be 4 All-Americans to be a CFP team. (These numbers were pulled rather quickly so they may not be exact since I did not look at each AA team in depth.)

With Patterson, Foskey, and Mayer moving on, that leaves only Alt as a returning AA (Vinson doesn't count in my book)

The question is: who are AA candidates for the Irish in 2023? Alt for sure, Morrison perhaps? I might count RB as an AA level position even if no one RB will get enough touches to garner post-season attention.

3 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

3 of the 4 CFP participants had 4 All-Americans while Ohio St had 6.

So based on this very small sample size, the floor seems to be 4 All-Americans to be a CFP team. (These numbers were pulled rather quickly so they may not be exact since I did not look at each AA team in depth.)

With Patterson, Foskey, and Mayer moving on, that leaves only Alt as a returning AA (Vinson doesn't count in my book)

The question is: who are AA candidates for the Irish in 2023? Alt for sure, Morrison perhaps? I might count RB as an AA level position even if no one RB will get enough touches to garner post-season attention.

Thank you for that information.  Obviously more AAs matters but it's also very important to limit the amount of holes in your projected starting lineup.  The fact that ND has only 1 solid AA candidate combined with several problematic holes in the starting lineup doesn't line up with a top 4 finish next year.  Again, if ND lands Hartman and he has a heisman type season, that goes a long way for making up for those problems.  It does look like ND is gaining ground on limiting the lineup holes in the future as they stack the depth chart with solid players.  Time will tell.

• Heart 2

This is what I think needs to happen for ND to be elite next season. I am predicting a transfer from Styles, Lewis and I think both Ademilolas are leaving? 

QB-Hartman, Buchner. 

RB- Diggs/Estime, Price/Love. 

TE- Evans , Staes. 

WR- Merriweather, Smith.

WR- Colzie, Greathouse.

WR- Thomas, James.

T- Alt, Baker. 

G- Kristofic, Schrauth. 

C- Correll, Coogan.

G- Spindler, Chan. 

T- Fisher, Carmody. 

DE- Mills, Nana, Ford.  

DT- Cross, Onye. 

NG- Rubio, Keanaaina. 

Vyper- Botelho, Burnham.

WLB- Prince Kollie, Marist. 

MLB- JD, Junior. 

Rover- Sneed, Kiser. 

CB- Benjamin Morrison, Mickey.

S- Watts, Walters. 

S- Henderson/Barnes, Shuler. 

CB- Hart, Gray. 

There are some projections here, but it’s a really solid roster. If Kollie and Sneed can develop then this team has the potential to be scary good. Same goes for guys like Rubio, Mills, Ford, Burnham, Nana and Botelho. We lack depth and talent on the d line and that is the spot that is going to determine if we win 8 games or 11. 

I am really high on Botelho, he’s a dude and I think he can get 10+ sacks. Rubio needs to get stronger at the point of attack and we need another pass rusher to emerge. I’ll predict either Ford or Burnham.  

• Heart 3
  • Leprechaun 1

If the All-American is the QB you only need 1, so we're putting a lot of hope in the transfer solution there.  If we don't hear good news by this time next week, there are going to be absolute meltdowns.  I know it's not likely, but I'm getting more hopeful that we stay quiet in the outgoing portal.  Ie. I feel bad for Tyree, couldn't blame him.

Safety will be interesting.  DJ Brown has a Covid year, I believe.  I could maybe see him coming back to solidify his NFL chances, although not sure where he is on graduation.  Group will be thin, either way, but decent - Watts, Brown, Henderson, with the freshmen backing up and getting reps?  Some talent there, but I could see some of the CB depth getting moved to safety.  Barnes was mentioned prior, and looks like he's already taken some practice reps there and in the nickel this year.  Or someone like Philip Riley at safety.  Looked good last spring in spots and he's athletic.  Something like that probably happens.  I'm excited for Schuler and Minich - kids are coming ready these days, but they'll be rooks (although so was Morrison this year).

DL group.  I like Botelho, too, but we'll need a rotation.  Burnham could be interesting.  I expect we'll tweak our front alignment to better fit personnel.  Have we heard definitively that Justin Ademilola will not return?  That alone would make that group pretty legit in the spring.  Lots of guys capable of being stars there.  Mills, Cross, 

OLine we have guys who've been coming up and should be ready.  Every other position group is improved in my opinion (exception of Mayer who is irreplaceable.  TE by committee but a really good young group) - even OL could be improved with a year of strength and under Hiestand.

• Heart 1

On 1/2/2023 at 2:45 PM, ndomer4 said:

This is what I think needs to happen for ND to be elite next season. I am predicting a transfer from Styles, Lewis and I think both Ademilolas are leaving? 

QB-Hartman, Buchner. 

RB- Diggs/Estime, Price/Love. 

TE- Evans , Staes. 

WR- Merriweather, Smith.

WR- Colzie, Greathouse.

WR- Thomas, James.

T- Alt, Baker. 

G- Kristofic, Schrauth. 

C- Correll, Coogan.

G- Spindler, Chan. 

T- Fisher, Carmody. 

DE- Mills, Nana, Ford.  

DT- Cross, Onye. 

NG- Rubio, Keanaaina. 

Vyper- Botelho, Burnham.

WLB- Prince Kollie, Marist. 

MLB- JD, Junior. 

Rover- Sneed, Kiser. 

CB- Benjamin Morrison, Mickey.

S- Watts, Walters. 

S- Henderson/Barnes, Shuler. 

CB- Hart, Gray. 

There are some projections here, but it’s a really solid roster. If Kollie and Sneed can develop then this team has the potential to be scary good. Same goes for guys like Rubio, Mills, Ford, Burnham, Nana and Botelho. We lack depth and talent on the d line and that is the spot that is going to determine if we win 8 games or 11. 

I am really high on Botelho, he’s a dude and I think he can get 10+ sacks. Rubio needs to get stronger at the point of attack and we need another pass rusher to emerge. I’ll predict either Ford or Burnham.  

So glad people aren’t just blindly accepting Kiser & Marist as starters. Their time has passed. If they’re ok being backups & mentors to Kollie & Snead, keep them, otherwise, they can go.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, XanderCrews said:

So glad people aren’t just blindly accepting Kiser & Marist as starters. Their time has passed. If they’re ok being backups & mentors to Kollie & Snead, keep them, otherwise, they can go.

Let’s just hope the coaches feel the same way. 

The truth is, this team cannot make the playoffs if Marist and Kiser are taking the majority of snaps. I’m sure they’re great kids, they’re just not great football players. 

If ND wants to take the next step, they need to get their superior athletes on the football field. Get these guys ready Marcus. 

• Heart 2

On 12/31/2022 at 7:30 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

Most assumed. Would have been sweet if he came back, but was an outside chance.

Ramon better be ready. Shuler and Minich will get a chance for sure. Bowen decommitting sucks... lol

Neither Shuler or Mininch is ready to play next yr, unless you’re talking about STs. 

56 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

We don't know (about Shuler/Mininch). But yes, rare a frosh is elite, and starts...

But... nobody expected Morrison (90 rated, 35th CB, not top 300 kid) to kill it either... 

Mike Micken’s did, and I remember Coach Freeman talking about how Micken’s just knows who has it, and pushes for them to be on the field.  Take Sauce Gardner as an example, which is who Freeman had mentioned he did the same with, because I could see Morrison being just as good.  I feel Jayden Mickey will be almost as good too, and felt he showed his potential in the bowl game.

• Heart 2

34 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Mike Micken’s did, and I remember Coach Freeman talking about how Micken’s just knows who has it, and pushes for them to be on the field.  Take Sauce Gardner as an example, which is who Freeman had mentioned he did the same with, because I could see Morrison being just as good.  I feel Jayden Mickey will be almost as good too, and felt he showed his potential in the bowl game.

Love Mickens. 

But our coaches puffed up all the guys early. And we kinda offered Benny later (vs other schools). I like Mickey too. IIRC, we offered him earlier than Benny. 

But doubt expected him to be great as a frosh. Perhaps later, but not this early. And the CB room was ripe (and young) with opportunity. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Love Mickens. 

But our coaches puffed up all the guys early. And we kinda offered Benny later (vs other schools). I like Mickey too. IIRC, we offered him earlier than Benny. 

But doubt expected him to be great as a frosh. Perhaps later, but not this early. And the CB room was ripe (and young) with opportunity. 

Yeah, I would have to agree!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

We don't know (about Shuler/Mininch). But yes, rare a frosh is elite, and starts...

But... nobody expected Morrison (90 rated, 35th CB, not top 300 kid) to kill it either... 

I know Minich isn’t ready, I’ve seen him play. He’s good, but nowhere close to seeing the field next yr.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, XanderCrews said:

I know Minich isn’t ready, I’ve seen him play. He’s good, but nowhere close to seeing the field next yr.

Maybe. Morrison's film was raw too. Both Minich and Morrison played both ways (DB and WR, and both returned kicks). I think Morrison's game really clicked when he focused on D. Perhaps Minich does too.