2023 Projected Depth Chart

10 hours ago, coltssb said:

I think coaches are still going to try and win and if a young guy jeopardizes that then he won’t play. But I think you won’t see coaches holding onto redshirts just to save a year of eligibility like they did with Angeli this year. Guys aren’t staying on one team any longer. Although, ND could be the exception because of it’s degree. 
As for Colzie, I believe he was injured up  until he started playing. Calf or knee don’t remember. 

Another part of this is the 'win now' aspect of sports in general and college football. How many coaches can afford to maybe lose a few games by playing younger players earlier than is warranted? Methinks most coaches will play the guys who give them the best chance of winning now (and not getting fired😎).

• Leprechaun 1

I'll use the LBs as another example. I think Sneed was a bit on the light side this season so I wouldn't have played him more.  I would have definitely made every attempt to get Kollie more time and possibly Tuihalamaka. I especially would have done that against the lesser teams on the schedule.  You can always go back to the starters Bertrand, Kiser, etc if it's not going well. 

• Heart 2

On 12/3/2022 at 1:29 PM, 4thand1 said:

With transfers happening more and more, the staff is going to have to reevaluate playing time.

I remain concerned that the staff seems to be ok with slowly developing the younger more talented players.  One example is Colzie.  Seeing what he did to finish the season, am I supposed to believe that he couldn't have produced sooner?? 

The staff is going to have to consider playing the young high ceiling players ahead of the low ceiling/high floor experienced guys to avoid transfers.  That's assuming that attitude and effort aren't part of why the younger guys are moving forward.  If you have to spend extra practice time and focus on them, so be it. 

I am not saying that this applies to every relevant positional battle but it should be looked at with an eye towards avoiding potential transfers of key young players. 

After what we’ve seen from Liufau, and the glimpses we’ve seen from Kollie and Sneed, there’s no way you don’t play those guys more. Those are the only two linebackers who had a chance of containing Caleb Williams. 

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Did some posts about South Carolina's roster for the bowl game get posted to the wrong thread? 

Well, maybe, but we do have a game today - with a 2023 roster preview to some extent.  So the opponent is pertinent.  It may be too conversational, though.  We should definitely move it so it's not confusing. 

Or maybe it's not a big deal.  I don't know.

1 hour ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

Welp need to find a safety to replace Joseph. Just declared for the draft per his IG

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm2ZBn-vKjv/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Most assumed. Would have been sweet if he came back, but was an outside chance.

Ramon better be ready. Shuler and Minich will get a chance for sure. Bowen decommitting sucks... lol

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

Guess my hunch on Joseph was wrong. Surprising to me. Can see him being a late round pick but seems he had an opportunity to improve that and make decent NIL money if he came back.

Mid 3rd on PFF's big board. I've seen him high as 2nd. Lowest 4th. 

What do we not know about Styles?  If there's nothing wrong (physically/mentally) with him, I can't start him ahead of Thomas.  Otherwise, I think the decisions on offense might be more clear cut.

Defense has far more questions. Mills definitely belongs at the 3tech and I said that before this season started. I would make an effort to get Keanaaina in at the 5tech unless Rubio is clearly better. I sub in Cross on passing downs. 

Botello is my vyper and I move Liufau here as a backup. Liufau needs a position that requires less thinking/choices. 

I really disagree with Golden on his LB choices.  ND started Kiser and Bertrand all year.  Does anyone think ND's LBs did well this year?  I don't.  I think Golden should go with the players that offer more athleticism.  You can coach up the mental side of the game but Kiser and Bertrand will never be as athletic as Sneed and Tuihalamaka. 

Safety is a worry for me. You have Watts and not much else.  CBs are good to great. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

What do we not know about Styles?  If there's nothing wrong (physically/mentally) with him, I can't start him ahead of Thomas.  Otherwise, I think the decisions on offense might be more clear cut.

Defense has far more questions. Mills definitely belongs at the 3tech and I said that before this season started. I would make an effort to get Keanaaina in at the 5tech unless Rubio is clearly better. I sub in Cross on passing downs. 

Botello is my vyper and I move Liufau here as a backup. Liufau needs a position that requires less thinking/choices. 

I really disagree with Golden on his LB choices.  ND started Kiser and Bertrand all year.  Does anyone think ND's LBs did well this year?  I don't.  I think Golden should go with the players that offer more athleticism.  You can coach up the mental side of the game but Kiser and Bertrand will never be as athletic as Sneed and Tuihalamaka. 

Safety is a worry for me. You have Watts and not much else.  CBs are good to great. 

Pretty much agree with everything you said here. I think we will continue rotating safeties next year. Henderson has shown some range, maybe they move Lewis or Barnes or Riley if they all stay? During His first training camp, I kept reading that Justin Walters was an interception machine. Haven’t heard a peep about him since. 

• Heart 1