Transfer Portal: Noteworthy Players from Other Schools

2 hours ago, AnTostal said:

That’s the nature of the portal, though, right?

Guys who believe they are good players who aren’t getting the chance to play where they are, for whatever reason.  They actually might be very good, just not as good as someone else at that program. Or maybe they think the coaches don’t like or don’t believe in them. Or maybe they just don’t like the culture of the team or the school. 

To me it’s a bit like buying used items on eBay. They might be great, or they might be damaged goods. Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances. 

I agree. Just providing the history. 

Bama has an embarrassment of riches every year. Some very good talent simply won't play... 

Portal certainly has both pros and cons. 

Just wish ND could take advantage of the portal like other schools can. 

16 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Talked to a few LSU fans. Neither were shocked. Both said he couldn't beat out for Nussameier for the QB2 spot. And the one that follows LSU closest, he was unhappy about Daniels returning. I guess the kid thought he would be a early starter (even as a frosh, but at least in year 2). 

In short, Daniels is the clear returning starter in 23, Nussameier QB2, and two new 4 star kids, one locked for 23 (early entry), and the other committed for 24. 

ND went after Howard late in cycle, but doubt ND is in play. Both guys said TAMU is a player. They also wouldn't be surprised if the FL schools (Gators, Miami, or FSU) was a player. 

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Talked to a few LSU fans. Neither were shocked. Both said he couldn't beat out for Nussameier for the QB2 spot. And the one that follows LSU closest, he was unhappy about Daniels returning. I guess the kid thought he would be a early starter (even as a frosh, but at least in year 2). 

In short, Daniels is the clear returning starter in 23, Nussameier QB2, and two new 4 star kids, one locked for 23 (early entry), and the other committed for 24. 

ND went after Howard late in cycle, but doubt ND is in play. Both guys said TAMU is a player. They also wouldn't be surprised if the FL schools (Gators, Miami, or FSU) was a player. 

Yeah, no thanks. I'd have said YES 2 months ago, but the QB room is looking much better these days. Dropping this kid in there wouldn't do us any favors. 

• Heart 2

58 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

Yeah, no thanks. I'd have said YES 2 months ago, but the QB room is looking much better these days. Dropping this kid in there wouldn't do us any favors. 

Yup. Only rumors though (about Howard). Regardless, very happy with Hartman in 23, and Carr coming up in 24. Minchey could be a nice surprise too. 

And LSU's QB room was considered a mess before the season, but BK did a nice job turning it around. Daniels was a great surprise. 

9 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

Lots of TCU mentioned

I'd bet on Florida, but TCU has certainly been a hot team so far in the portal. 

What is strange, TX (UT) was a big player when he was a recruit. And seems no interest from TX (can you say Arch lol). TAMU is mentioned a lot early. The situation with FL (Rashada) will be interesting. TCU is probably the easiest place to win the starting job though. 

To me what’s interesting is I’m wondering if the qb position doesn’t start to get watered down with the one-time transfer and NIL that’s happening. For instance, let’s look at ND. If Buchner transfers then ND will be down to basically freshman again as backups. Wherever Buchner leaves to he’s have a new system to run and him being raw may not even win that job. Now let’s look at LSU. Walker leaves. Now LSU has Daniels, Nuss, and a freshman. What if Nuss is promised he’s able to compete in the spring. He loses it. Transfers immediately and LSU is down to Daniels and two-3 freshman. I think this trend is going to happen everywhere at the qb position. Yes, it will happen at other positions too. But the qb position is the one that drives the train. You need some stability at that position more than any other. It will be interesting to me in the next couple of years if we don’t see sloppier qb play and worst games in the future. 

14 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

also saw TCU

• Heart 1