PSA: Swearing isn't a bannable offense.

Mike

Hey Domers! The waters have been getting a little testy at times lately, and that's not something we want right before the holidays, so I want to leave a reminder.

Foul language doesn't warrant a suspension / ban. There have been multiple reports coming in from multiple members about language being used. But if it isn't attacking a forum member or threatening, it doesn't warrant disciplinary action. Obviously, these calls are judgmental, and there could be exceptions, but we do want to allow members to speak freely.

I am a big advocate of using the IGNORE feature if you don't want to see somebody's posts. Just hover over their profile picture and click ignore. On mobile, use this link. If a poster gets under your skin, you'll enjoy the forums much more if you don't see their content, that is if you don't embrace the debates, which is different than just arguing.

I'm going to leave this thread unlocked for the time being for any suggestions and for some open discussion on the topic, in general as well since there's no ND Football until New Year's Day. Drop any feedback here.

Also, I do want this to be a more accessible to all ages (at least PG-13+), plus advertisers are not fans off certain language, so I might put some auto-censors in place. Examples: Fug or F*&K instead of F***. 

If you want to make some censorship suggestions, please drop them in this thread, and please use asterisks instead of the word you want to replace (like shown above).

Any concerns, drop them here. If you want to chat privately, my DMs are always open.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays!

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

I’m all for the cursing / can see where some people aren’t for it, basically I don’t care about that. But if anyone was to ever use a racial/sexual epithet or slur, I feel like that should be an auto lifetime ban. We don’t need this site to become that sort of place and it never has been, but to me that would seem completely unacceptable. 

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Pregame said:

I’m all for the cursing / can see where some people aren’t for it, basically I don’t care about that. But if anyone was to ever use a racial/sexual epithet or slur, I feel like that should be an auto lifetime ban. We don’t need this site to become that sort of place and it never has been, but to me that would seem completely unacceptable. 

Trust me when I say comments like those will not be tolerated. Those kinds of comments aren't welcome anywhere in the forums, including the tinder box. First offense likely won't be a lifetime ban, since I'm a believer in allowing members to correct themselves, but it will be noted on their account and it will be heavy action, and a lifetime post ban is on the table, if not having all new posted pending approval at a minimum before showing. I don't have a full policy in place, and I hope I don't have to create one.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Hey Domers! The waters have been getting a little testy at times lately, and that's not something we want right before the holidays, so I want to leave a reminder.

Foul language doesn't warrant a suspension / ban. There have been multiple reports coming in from multiple members about language being used. But if it isn't attacking a forum member or threatening, it doesn't warrant disciplinary action. Obviously, these calls are judgmental, and there could be exceptions, but we do want to allow members to speak freely.

I am a big advocate of using the IGNORE feature if you don't want to see somebody's posts. Just hover over their profile picture and click ignore. On mobile, use this link. If a poster gets under your skin, you'll enjoy the forums much more if you don't see their content, that is if you don't embrace the debates, which is different than just arguing.

I'm going to leave this thread unlocked for the time being for any suggestions and for some open discussion on the topic, in general as well since there's no ND Football until New Year's Day. Drop any feedback here.

Also, I do want this to be a more accessible to all ages (at least PG-13+), plus advertisers are not fans off certain language, so I might put some auto-censors in place. Examples: Fug or F*&K instead of F***. 

If you want to make some censorship suggestions, please drop them in this thread, and please use asterisks instead of the word you want to replace (like shown above).

Any concerns, drop them here. If you want to chat privately, my DMs are always open.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays!

The only issue with the ignore function is that depending on the person you now have half a topic blocked and it really depreciates the value of the board especially when people are responding to those antagonistic posts. I guess it’s up to each of us to decide whether it’s worth paying attention and continued participation in the board but I can say without a doubt there are a couple of posters that have dominated this board lately that have discouraged me from posting because I don’t feel like getting into shit posting back and forth rather than having valued debate and discussion. 

Edited by ndfanatic78
  • Leprechaun 1

7 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

The only issue with the ignore function is that depending on the person you now have half a topic blocked and it really depreciates the value of the board especially when people are responding to those antagonistic posts. I guess it’s up to each of us to decide whether it’s worth paying attention and continued participation in the board but I can say without a doubt there are a couple of posters that have dominated this board lately that have discouraged me from posting because I don’t feel like getting into shit posting back and forth rather than having valued debate and discussion. 

I stand by the statement that profanity isn't a bannable offense on its own. But I completely relate to your stance about being discouraged from posting. I'm an active reader, seldom poster at other forums for the same reason. I just don't enjoy shouting matches, and some posters are more confrontational than others. I personally don't feel like wasting energy on it, and began using the Ignore feature myself. It has given me a much more pleasant experience. I really suggest giving it a try.

There are many different personalities here, like anywhere. I'll likely be implementing some sort of word filter in the future for multiple different reasons. But even without profanity, if there are some posters that do consistently ruin your enjoyment, it'll likely still happen one way or another. I can't just keep members that have one mindset / way of posting. And you'll run into this issue anywhere you go.

The tools (ignore) are there if you would like to use them. And if you have any other suggestions on how to make it more enjoyable / raise participation, please feel free to brainstorm / suggest away.

Thanks @ndfanatic78

11 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

I feel like there use to be a profanity blocking setting under the old infrastructure, does this forum support that functionality?  It isn't 100 percent but I feel like it use to be a user toggle to block.

There are no profanity blocking features on a member-by-member basis. I could make it so posts that use certain words have to go through an approval queue, but that could become a management nightmare for the mod team.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

There are no profanity blocking features on a member-by-member basis. I could make it so posts that use certain words have to go through an approval queue, but that could become a management nightmare for the mod team.

When I said user by user I just meant that I could turn on a filter on my profile to asterisk out all profanity, not from certain users. Understood that the proposed workaround sounds like a logistical nightmare. I do think that it is worth looking into some kind of solution, the level of profanity has really skyrocketed since the Kelly departure and it does take away from the overall experience having to filter through. Hopefully it will cool down after the bowl game and going on into the next season.

Just now, EddieAngel said:

When I said user by user I just meant that I could turn on a filter on my profile to asterisk out all profanity, not from certain users. Understood that the proposed workaround sounds like a logistical nightmare. I do think that it is worth looking into some kind of solution, the level of profanity has really skyrocketed since the Kelly departure and it does take away from the overall experience having to filter through. Hopefully it will cool down after the bowl game and going on into the next season.

I hope so. And I noticed the same. The filters would need to be an all or nothing deal, but something to that extent will be rolled out. Just a matter on deciding what. I can do asterisks, or alternative words. I just need to identify what they are. If you write the F word right now, it should adjust. If you don't mind giving it a shot (Admin accounts don't have filters applied), I can see if it worked. It doesn't retroactively update posts, however. Only going forward from when I created the filters (today)

And any feedback like this is extremely helpful. Thank you again.

36 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

Board has become a bit of a Romper Room… the ball busting of old is now just nonsense directed at one or two posters… fun times…

Meh, I am having a hard time remembering the good old days. There have always been a few people that are tough to deal with. I try to be kind to everyone even though there is a handful of people who I wouldn't put out with my... errr... firehose if they were running around on fire. I think it is reasonable to encourage basic human behavior here even if it isn't right to expect it.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

You don’t realize how happy it makes me to see “judgmental” spelled correctly.  The grammar nazi side of me thanks you.

Glad i got that 1 right! But if you comb thru it, im shure u'll find sum airers in my first post abuv.

Trollface - Wikipedia

• Trophy 1