'23 FL DE Keon Keeley Decommits From ND

I heard an interview with rivals this am. From his answers I think it would be a miracle if we can hold on to him. When asked about why he chose ND he kept saying “at that time” then rambled a bit and repeated at that time. Just seemed really weird. That is what happens when you recruit the best of the best. Gonna have to fight for this one.

16 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

This has NIL written all over it. If ND doesn’t figure this out, we will get left in the dust. 

How does this have NIL written all over it? How is this different from any other time highly rated kids have wavered from ND commitments once other big time offers come in. I don’t know how you could blame this on NIL unless you have some reports that I am not aware of. 

15 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

How does this have NIL written all over it? How is this different from any other time highly rated kids have wavered from ND commitments once other big time offers come in. I don’t know how you could blame this on NIL unless you have some reports that I am not aware of. 

I’m think he is implying that Keely is wanting big money from the NIL. Who offers him the most will get him. 
Now if that is actually true or not is to be seen. 

1 hour ago, ndfanatic78 said:

I thought Keeley always had big time offers? I am just speculating but I do think ND is behind the 8 ball in regards to the NIL. 

• Heart 1

I'm not sure why it's confusing the difference in how NIL is implemented today. Yes, KH14 was making great money because he leveraged being one of the most popular athletes in CFB and the best safety in CFB to get endorsement deals. I believe this was the original intent of the NIL, absolutely. I also believe ND's NIL staff probably facilitated some of that for Kyle and the other athletes on scholarship.

That said, it's not being used as only that or as it was originally intended. It's being used by universities (behind the scenes in coordination with boosters) as a recruiting tool to pay high school kids to commit to a specific college they may not have otherwise chosen. This is where I, and many others, feel ND is at a big disadvantage right now.

Now, not all kids will fall into the latter, but some will and until ND does this, we'll lose high-profile recruits we could have otherwise gotten regardless of MF prowess, offensive/defensive/team success, NFL connections, 4 for 40, etc. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, ndomer4 said:

I thought Keeley always had big time offers? I am just speculating but I do think ND is behind the 8 ball in regards to the NIL. 

That’s the thing I’ve heard that ND is behind in NIL but haven’t actually seen any evidence other then hearsay, but I have been given evidence that ND isn’t doing bad in the NIL department. Examples are what Hamilton was getting and the department ND has setup to help athletes maximize their NIL. So I just want some solid numbers on what teams are doing and kids are making. Until that we are all just guessing and basically the ones landing the top classes are doing awesome things for the kids with NIL and the ones not doing good must not be offering good NIL money.

People need to realize that Notre Dame has good/bad issue, just depends on how you look at it

1) Notre Dame is private so we will probably not see their numbers publicly released as much as other schools. Perfect example is Hamilton, there are rumors about how much he was making, but nothing concrete like the Ewers guy

2) Because the numbers are not released as much, some (mostly fans) have thought that Notre Dame is simply not doing enough

I never thought Notre Dame would have an issue competing with the NIL, they are a rich school full of rich football fans, alumni, and boosters, but I still hate NIL. However, I also think that Notre Dame will not be as aggressive as Texas A&M (probably violating rules) and people need to understand that, I do not think any team will be that aggressive with NIL, but it is clear that ND is discussing NIL with recruits, they are probably going about it smarter though than simply throwing numbers at it

We can use Keeley as an example; this is what I would tell Keeley (numbers are just estimates to make the point):

1) Do you want Texas A&M money here in college ($1.5m), get stuck behind a bunch of other 5* players who are just there for the money as well, get drafted in the 5th round, and not reach your full potential -or-

2) Do you want that Notre Dame connection and possibly a degree that can set you up for 40 years. We did not overload at the DE position, and the players here want something more than simply the highest pay check, you can be the star here, develop accordingly and become a 1st round draft pick. Also, you will still be making bank with us ($800k).

1st round draft pick money compared to 5th round draft pick money..... That should be articulated

Notre Dame needs to go after the 2nd type of player, and there will for sure be the type of high school player out there who prefers the 1st option. Notre Dame will miss out on that player, but he probably would not have come to Notre Dame anyway.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

People need to realize that Notre Dame has good/bad issue, just depends on how you look at it

1) Notre Dame is private so we will probably not see their numbers publicly released as much as other schools. Perfect example is Hamilton, there are rumors about how much he was making, but nothing concrete like the Ewers guy

2) Because the numbers are not released as much, some (mostly fans) have thought that Notre Dame is simply not doing enough

I never thought Notre Dame would have an issue competing with the NIL, they are a rich school full of rich football fans, alumni, and boosters, but I still hate NIL. However, I also think that Notre Dame will not be as aggressive as Texas A&M (probably violating rules) and people need to understand that, I do not think any team will be that aggressive with NIL, but it is clear that ND is discussing NIL with recruits, they are probably going about it smarter though than simply throwing numbers at it

We can use Keeley as an example; this is what I would tell Keeley (numbers are just estimates to make the point):

1) Do you want Texas A&M money here in college ($1.5m), get stuck behind a bunch of other 5* players who are just there for the money as well, get drafted in the 5th round, and not reach your full potential -or-

2) Do you want that Notre Dame connection and possibly a degree that can set you up for 40 years. We did not overload at the DE position, and the players here want something more than simply the highest pay check, you can be the star here, develop accordingly and become a 1st round draft pick. Also, you will still be making bank with us ($800k).

1st round draft pick money compared to 5th round draft pick money..... That should be articulated

Notre Dame needs to go after the 2nd type of player, and there will for sure be the type of high school player out there who prefers the 1st option. Notre Dame will miss out on that player, but he probably would not have come to Notre Dame anyway.

I agree for the most part. 

I however do think there is an option 3 that will be sold to these kids (it would be ND's job to counter it as I'm sure they'll never do it).

I'm sure the Alabama's, USC's and Texas A&M's of the world don't tell 5 star kids they will sit (even if they have multiple in front of them). You'd hope a kid would be smart enough to see that and the competition at their position. 

I'm sure Texas A&M (and their boosters) will say, you're the next great player, best thing since sliced bread, those kids in front of your aren't better than you, you can beat them out, etc. Commit to us and you'll get a check for $$$ (however much they are paying 5-star talent, well into the six figures I'd imagine). When you do beat those kids out, you'll be so popular, and even more money will come your way. 

Essentially selling the idea of money now, and more money later.

Now, I agree, ND probably won't attract many, if any, of those players. It's just one more hurdle that ND has to jump in recruiting that other schools don't. And when we already jump through so many, it becomes tougher and tougher to compete in this day in age. 

Not saying it's right or wrong, but it does put a damper on the idea of ND signing top 5 classes on a regular basis. Until there are some bumpers to limit what these schools and boosters are clearly doing, it's going to be tough for ND. 

I do, however, wish they would figure out a way to back up the bank truck to 5-star QB's houses each year. 

3 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

I agree for the most part. 

I however do think there is an option 3 that will be sold to these kids (it would be ND's job to counter it as I'm sure they'll never do it).

I'm sure the Alabama's, USC's and Texas A&M's of the world don't tell 5 star kids they will sit (even if they have multiple in front of them). You'd hope a kid would be smart enough to see that and the competition at their position. 

I'm sure Texas A&M (and their boosters) will say, you're the next great player, best thing since sliced bread, those kids in front of your aren't better than you, you can beat them out, etc. Commit to us and you'll get a check for $$$ (however much they are paying 5-star talent, well into the six figures I'd imagine). When you do beat those kids out, you'll be so popular, and even more money will come your way. 

Essentially selling the idea of money now, and more money later.

Now, I agree, ND probably won't attract many, if any, of those players. It's just one more hurdle that ND has to jump in recruiting that other schools don't. And when we already jump through so many, it becomes tougher and tougher to compete in this day in age. 

Not saying it's right or wrong, but it does put a damper on the idea of ND signing top 5 classes on a regular basis. Until there are some bumpers to limit what these schools and boosters are clearly doing, it's going to be tough for ND. 

I do, however, wish they would figure out a way to back up the bank truck to 5-star QB's houses each year. 

On one hand, you make some good points that may be issues down the road.

On the other hand, ND has the #1 class in the country right now and is still recruiting a ton of high level, 5* caliber guys with real interest in ND. All of this "sky is falling" NIL narrative when it comes to recruiting is more fiction than fact, at least right now. 

11 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

1) Notre Dame is private so we will probably not see their numbers publicly released as much as other schools. 

There are going to be very few records that will be subject to public disclosure laws if it's between players and third parties (unless schools are going to be negotiating dollars and cents, which would strike me as an NCAA violation even in the wake of the NIL ruling).

2 hours ago, Blammm said:

There are going to be very few records that will be subject to public disclosure laws if it's between players and third parties (unless schools are going to be negotiating dollars and cents, which would strike me as an NCAA violation even in the wake of the NIL ruling).

so what you are saying is that Texas A&M will be doing that. 🙂

13 hours ago, Pregame said:

On one hand, you make some good points that may be issues down the road.

On the other hand, ND has the #1 class in the country right now and is still recruiting a ton of high level, 5* caliber guys with real interest in ND. All of this "sky is falling" NIL narrative when it comes to recruiting is more fiction than fact, at least right now. 

Not so much "sky is falling", just less "Jesus take the wheel", haha, I'll be here all week. 

10 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

Not so much "sky is falling", just less "Jesus take the wheel", haha, I'll be here all week. 

Bank of the Vatican has a giant bankroll, maybe we can get some NIL deals for commercials with Keeley and the Pope promoting Vatican tourism. 

• Flames 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

• 3 months later...