Worst thing as a ND fan...

Remember in 1964 vs $C i in Ara;s first year when the refs made a phantom holding call on a 1-yd, TD plunge and $C came back and scored in the last minute to ruin a perfect season and take away a National Championship.

The phantom clip called on ND in the Orange Bowl on Rocket's punt return for a TD that would have denied Colorado a national championship.

Rocket losing the Heisman to Ty Detmer of BYU was a bummer too, He was easily the best player in the nation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In chronological order:

1) 1991 Orange Bowl: Rocket’s last game and what would of been an all-time career finish. Freaking BS clip call nullifies his punt return for a TD in the final minute of the game. Colorado survives 10-9 and wins the National Championship.

2) 1993 Boston College Game: One week after defeating the greatest team ever we get boat raced for 3 quarters. The 4th quarter comeback was stunning and I thought we were getting another NC...and the kick was good, damn it.

3) 2005 Bush Push: Jeez this might be the most painful. The Eagles loose the Super Bowl in February to the Patriots...Charlie Weis is hired away from the Patriots to lead the Irish the following day (although it was not exactly a secret). Then my first child is born in May and my luck had turned!!! I believed God was making up for the Super Bowl loss to me with the way the Irish were playing. The latest “Greatest Team Ever” comes to South Bend and gets outplayed...until 4th and 21..dear God, Why? Then...then there is the fumble. The only possible way the Irish loose there is if the damn ball goes out of bounds and stops the clock!!! It does...and there is time for one more play. Yea, this one still hurts.

Edited by edcubby

2) 1993 Boston College Game: One week after defeating the greatest team ever we get boat raced for 3 quarters. The 4th quarter comeback was stunning and I thought we were getting another NC...and the kick was good, damn it.

Pete Bercich had the game winning Int. in his hands and dropped it. AAAAGGGGGHHHHH!

In chronological order:

1) 1991 Orange Bowl: Rocket’s last game and what would of been an all-time career finish. Freaking BS clip call nullifies his punt return for a TD in the final minute of the game. Colorado survives 10-9 and wins the National Championship.

3) 2005 Bush Push: Jeez this might be the most painful. The Eagles loose the Super Bowl in February to the Patriots...Charlie Weis is hired away from the Patriots to lead the Irish the following day (although it was not exactly a secret). Then my first child is born in May and my luck had turned!!! I believed God was making up for the Super Bowl loss to me with the way the Irish were playing. The latest “Greatest Team Ever” comes to South Bend and gets outplayed...until 4th and 21..dear God, Why? Then...then there is the fumble. The only possible way the Irish loose there is if the damn ball goes out of bounds and stops the clock!!! It does...and there is time for one more play. Yea, this one still hurts.

It hurts me that I was physically present for the first two.

Ty Willingham/Firing of George O'Leary

USC 2002

Fiesta Bowl against Oregon State

Lorenzo Booker choosing FSU

The season where we had two wins and I turned off my television for the entire season, except two games.

I wasn't paying attention when we lost to FSU in '93...

I wasn't paying attention when Rockne died either...

I was in high school and a virgin in 1993. I was invited to go to a road trip & college party with some friends, but turned them down to watch the ND vs Boston College game. 2 of them lost their virginity on that trip while I watched ND lose and I didn’t lose my virginity for another 13 months.

This is hard to beat; I genuinely LOLed. :rofl:

In person: 1989, No ND v. No. 7 Miami. I was a sophomore in high school. We had moved from S. Florida that year and came down for the game. The Miami fans were awful: throwing peanuts, obscenities, logging cups like hand grenades at the cluster of ND fans sitting in one section. I'm sure it was similar to what fans going to Columbus experience. ND got outplayed, fine. I knew it was over in the 3rd when ND got two sacks and a clipping penalty in their favor. It was third and 43. Craig Erickson completed a 45 yard pass to Randall "Thrill" Hill for a first down (I really hated Hill). I don't recall anything going ND's way after that.

The rest have been mentioned but I'll add my flavor. Bush Push in 2005 was the angriest I have ever been over a football game. I thought ND would get killed. What a game . . . I was talking with a friend long distance most of the 4th quarter. We were going crazy: "They're gong to do it!!!" The Push gets most of the discussion, but that sickening feeling entered me on 4th and 9 when Leinert hit Jarrett who broke a tackle and went 63 yards down the sideline. You knew; I knew. When Bush went in, I rifled my first cell phone off the well without saying bye to my friend.

Syracuse in 2008: I never thought I'd see the day that ND players were pelted with snowballs in their own stadium. It was sad; it was pathetic on the part of the fans. But I also got it even though I would never participate in that. The year before was the worst team

Getting killed by Alabama and the Lennay Kukua aftermath: I loved Manti as a player. I really, really wanted him to win the Heisman. I thought he embodied everything that was right about college football. The entire world piled on but Manti deserved it. The lie is a big part of the reason he was even in New York that year. P.S. Ef Johnny Fooseball anyway.

Colorado: Zorich played one of the greatest defensive games I have ever seen. Ef the ref.

So many ups and downs,,,and so many downs and ups ,,,im old enough to have lived through 4 NCs from Ara Lou and even Devine.... from the faust fiasco..to the weis disappointment,,,

and although lots of expletives have flown over the seasons...i rolled with most all the punches,,,but the one that was just too hard to take for me was BC 93...i never really recovered from that.. :mad2: :crazy:

aloha

In no order:

- Declan

- BC 93 and desecrating our field and locker room

- Bush Push (getting heckled by a UW player who kept yelling “PAC 10!”)

- Bobby Brown ‘99 Michigan penalty

- 2007 Navy

But the one that stings the most is Tulsa. A twenty one hour drive home stewing in my own anger...

In no order:

- Declan

- BC 93 and desecrating our field and locker room

- Bush Push (getting heckled by a UW player who kept yelling “PAC 10!”)

- Bobby Brown ‘99 Michigan penalty

- 2007 Navy

But the one that stings the most is Tulsa. A twenty one hour drive home stewing in my own anger...

I still get so disgusted with that Tulsa game. The program was so ridiculously out of control at that point. That one senior day where the student body threw snowballs at the players was pretty bad as well.

I still get so disgusted with that Tulsa game. The program was so ridiculously out of control at that point. That one senior day where the student body threw snowballs at the players was pretty bad as well.

That was the Cuse game where Manti was on his official visit.

Bush Push sticks out the most to me.

I don't remember the 93 BC game, I was 10. I'm not sure I even started following the Irish yet at that point.

I know I hate Oregon State for some reason but I can't 100% remember why so obviously that doesn't beat out the USC game.

I still have a hatred for the Fiesta Bowl, again, don't remember exactly why. I know it goes past the OSU game where Jaylon blew out his knee because I remembered being pissed that the Irish was going to be playing in that Fiesta Bowl.

I remember lots of details about the Bush Push though. Even more than some games more recent.