2016 ND Basketball News

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little disappointed in the recruiting and the stars have nothing to do with my disappointment. It has been proven over and over again that to win in the tournament you have to have amazing guards. Athleticism and guarding the perimeter is a must. A great/very good big guy to go with that is also needed.

I have been a fan of ND since the Laimbeer, Hanzlik days. This past years team was able to reek havoc on the perimeter and get to the hoop better than any I have seen at ND.

With that said I was hoping Brey would have a revelation and this would be the new identity for Brey. Love the Plueger and Gibbs pick ups and was hoping for at least 1 and preferably two more of those types of players. From what I read I thought Huerter was an important get. Djogo may be that type of guy. We will see. Not feeling the tweeners in Ryan, Mooney and Burns. They very well could be good but seems like back to old Brey style, can shoot and are big but not very quick or great defenders of the perimeter. A recipe for good but not great come tourney time.

I'm a little disappointed in the recruiting and the stars have nothing to do with my disappointment. It has been proven over and over again that to win in the tournament you have to have amazing guards. Athleticism and guarding the perimeter is a must. A great/very good big guy to go with that is also needed.

I have been a fan of ND since the Laimbeer, Hanzlik days. This past years team was able to reek havoc on the perimeter and get to the hoop better than any I have seen at ND.

With that said I was hoping Brey would have a revelation and this would be the new identity for Brey. Love the Plueger and Gibbs pick ups and was hoping for at least 1 and preferably two more of those types of players. From what I read I thought Huerter was an important get. Djogo may be that type of guy. We will see. Not feeling the tweeners in Ryan, Mooney and Burns. They very well could be good but seems like back to old Brey style, can shoot and are big but not very quick or great defenders of the perimeter. A recipe for good but not great come tourney time.

I think Brey likes the physical play that Burns brings, and Ryan is athletic and many feel the best shooter in the class. If that's true it's hard to be upset with that. Don't know much about Mooney quite yet, but I've read he is now a legit 6'10. As for Djogo, he is a wait and see for sure but many think he is a Combo guard and at 6'7 he has terrific height. I've heard some recruiting experts say he'd be a legit 4* guy if his tape was evaluated sooner.

Team is still in contention for Jarrett Allen and possibly with Thon Maker. If Brey can land one of them that would obviously be a huge boost to the class.

I never doubted they were good players and I know why he recruited them. I want more athletic guards to pressure the perimeter. Without it they will only go so far. Just like before.

Well currently ND has two very good perimeter defenders in Vasturia and Jackson. Beachem should be good as well as he is athletic and long. He's best playing SG. After that, I can't really comment on the freshmen and recruits for next year cuz I haven't really seen them play defense. I think ND recruiting is clearly on the rise.

Beachum is ok but has not shown the greatest athleticism or defensive skills. Maybe he will get better. I don't see the last two recruiting classes as clearly on the rise. I would say they are typical Brey classes.

I just don't see the team that is being put together for the next few years as a team that can be as good as last year's team.

Beachum is ok but has not shown the greatest athleticism or defensive skills. Maybe he will get better. I don't see the last two recruiting classes as clearly on the rise. I would say they are typical Brey classes.

I just don't see the team that is being put together for the next few years as a team that can be as good as last year's team.

The Colson class wasn't a very good class, but he is definitely looking like a steal. I still have faith in Geben to be a good big man in time. Brey has a pretty good track record with big man in year 3. Geben has lost some weight and improved his vertical considerably in the off-season. That class was a typical Brey class I agree. This last class, however is very underrated. Many believe Ryan would have been considered a much better prospect rankings wise, but teams lost interest after his injury. One of the main reasons he ended up at ND was because Brey stayed on him. I think he's much better than you have him at. As for Pflueger I agree completely with you. He's super athletic and I remember reading his name mentioned as one of the better NBA prospects in the class according. Burns is the guy that's a wild card. He's your more typical Brey target, but he's good good size and we'all have to see how he develops.

I have not a been a hater of Brey's recruiting. I don't think it has been as bad as many have thought. He is very good at finding diamonds in the rough, however, after this past year of seeing what could be, I was hoping to see recruiting ramp up. I was hoping to see more players with the athletic ability and skills similar to Grant and Coughnaton.

Don't get me wrong I think that these classes are good. Will they take ND to where they were last year. I don't think so. I think it is taking a step backwards to the normal good/very good but not great Brey teams. That is why I am disappointed.

I have not a been a hater of Brey's recruiting. I don't think it has been as bad as many have thought. He is very good at finding diamonds in the rough, however, after this past year of seeing what could be, I was hoping to see recruiting ramp up. I was hoping to see more players with the athletic ability and skills similar to Grant and Coughnaton.

Don't get me wrong I think that these classes are good. Will they take ND to where they were last year. I don't think so. I think it is taking a step backwards to the normal good/very good but not great Brey teams. That is why I am disappointed.

I know what you mean and I'm certainly not calling you a hater. Unfortunately, the last class was locked up before the run happened or I think you might have seen a player better than Burns. The other two guys I am very pleased with in general though and think they will both be very good college players. Before the bad year when Grant was suspended it seemed as though recruiting was going up and then their was a down year (mostly IMO due to on court failures). With the recent success of not only the program, but NBA players as well.

Grant, Connauhgton and even Cooley performing pretty well only helps.

I remember a few years back no one thinking PC had a shot at pro ball, but a few of us on the board knew he was underrated. Brey doesn't need 5* guys to succeed. Some high 4* like Jackson and Gibbs never hurt though. Another good season should only continue to the good fortune that seems to be happening.

• 3 months later...

Read an article recently about Thon Maker, and it had a quote from Brey in it that said a big key for Maker is DJ. If he leaves I doubt we land him, but if he's staying I think we have a good a chance as any.

Now, DJ is getting a lot of traction as a lottery pick and NBA scouts and GMs just love his game. Land Maker and keep DJ and this team has a legitimate chance to contend for a title next season. Don't think it happens though.

Read an article recently about Thon Maker, and it had a quote from Brey in it that said a big key for Maker is DJ. If he leaves I doubt we land him, but if he's staying I think we have a good a chance as any.

Now, DJ is getting a lot of traction as a lottery pick and NBA scouts and GMs just love his game. Land Maker and keep DJ and this team has a legitimate chance to contend for a title next season. Don't think it happens though.

I saw that same article, it made me think ND has a chance at least. The issue i see is that without DJ gone, I don't think ND has another scholarship to give. They could "make room" much like we get mad at Saban and Meyer do in football, but who would ND get rid of? Farrell? Geben? And would it be a mutual thing or what?

I saw that same article, it made me think ND has a chance at least. The issue i see is that without DJ gone, I don't think ND has another scholarship to give. They could "make room" much like we get mad at Saban and Meyer do in football, but who would ND get rid of? Farrell? Geben? And would it be a mutual thing or what?

I think Farrell is a good candidate to transfer in all honesty. Legit possibility according to Noie and others with Gibbs coming in and the possibility of DJ returning. Obviously, everything is speculatory at this point, but even the the mention from Brey's mouth means he knows a scholly isn't open currently.

Also, if Farrell transfers regardless, I wouldn't be shocked at a graduate transfer.