Dead Oceans by 2048?

When it comes to climate "issues", I don't think it is fair to say "an actual debate" and include Bill Nye.

He is always in the discussions, but his background is NOT in climate. I am not saying the "issues" are real of fake....I am just saying he is probably not the best person to have in the discussion.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to climate "issues", I don't think it is fair to say "an actual debate" and include Bill Nye.

He is always in the discussions, but his background is NOT in climate. I am not saying the "issues" are real of fake....I am just saying he is probably not the best person to have in the discussion.

That bowtie shows an amazing lack of judgment on his part. I am disinclined to trust his opinion.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/french-foreign-minister-500-days-avoid-climate-chaos_792736.html

FIVE HUNDRED DAYS LEFT TO SAVE THE WORLD!!!!

....How can we take this seriously?

Because they have the power. Keystone is being shutdown as is the coal industry.

Online you will be bullied and called an idiot and if they have your address a brick will come through your window and the IRS to your house. You will submit my friend, oh yes you will.

Because they have the power. Keystone is being shutdown as is the coal industry.

Online you will be bullied and called an idiot and if they have your address a brick will come through your window and the IRS to your house. You will submit my friend, oh yes you will.

"In the end you will submit, it's got to hurt a little bit." New Order

I read an interesting article yesterday about rural Kentuckians (already very impoverished) further impoverished by the shutdown of the local coal mines, which are a staple of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky. Apparently that portion of the 99 percent is not worth the efforts of the powers that be. If that seems laced with scorn, it is because my parents come from coal mining towns and I still have relatives who work in the mines. It is no way to live, but better than starving.

"In the end you will submit, it's got to hurt a little bit." New Order

I read an interesting article yesterday about rural Kentuckians (already very impoverished) further impoverished by the shutdown of the local coal mines, which are a staple of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky. Apparently that portion of the 99 percent is not worth the efforts of the powers that be. If that seems laced with scorn, it is because my parents come from coal mining towns and I still have relatives who work in the mines. It is no way to live, but better than starving.

Communities that build themselves up on and around a single industry (is that the right word here?) are doomed to fail. It has happened with gold mining, the automotive industry, and has repeatedly happened with coal mining.

My town was devastated by the loss of several GM plants around here. House prices plummeted, people were forced to move, and families lost everything. It is unfortunate, but these industries do not prepare you very well for other careers.

Communities that build themselves up on and around a single industry (is that the right word here?) are doomed to fail. It has happened with gold mining, the automotive industry, and has repeatedly happened with coal mining.

My town was devastated by the loss of several GM plants around here. House prices plummeted, people were forced to move, and families lost everything. It is unfortunate, but these industries do not prepare you very well for other careers.

That is an interesting perspective. I live in a city that was built around the farming industry.

Other careers like what pray tell?! Working in a factory is all many people knew as an occupation, and the experience of working in one could translate well into working many other factories. The writing wasn't on the wall for many folks to "diversify" their career abilities, because it was known that plants everywhere were going to be shut down and moved to Mexico or overseas.

BTW I've seen one hell of a lot of people(my wife included) who lost factory jobs, who used the gov. grants to go back to school and get "productive" degrees more in line with the new careers out there. Guess what most are having a extremely hard time finding new employment, especially that paid in vicinity of their old factory job(not counting benefits). Their previous work experience isn't holding them back either.

You have to understand that mountain communities are not typically planned communities. Many of them predate the Civil War and a large number of them were established are settlements for German or Scots-Irish immigrants in the 1700 and 1800s. A large number of them made a living selling whiskey until a large number of them were ruined by the Whiskey tax of 1791.

For about 100 years you had subsistence (Hardscrabble) living followed by a brief period of success for bootlegging in the prohibition era, but by and large the population turned to the mines as the only source of fuel and later income. While most of America has progressed over the last 50 years, many of these communities are largely untouched. They survive off of coal and government subsidy. A large percentage of them are legally disabled as they are mentally unable to work (Read: Low IQ).

These people are not gold rushers, they didn't flock somewhere to get rich and blew into the wind when the gold dried up, these are good people that have lived in close kin communities for literally hundreds of years. Being of Irish ancestry many of them come from a tight knit clan type family.

The point is, there is no other industry in these parts of the country. Many of them turn to crime, selling prescription drugs, brewing illegal liquor, stealing, etc... It is no way to live.

If you tell me that stopping the production of fossil fuels saves the world I am inclined to understand the necessity, but without good data all you are doing is screwing another minority.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2630023/Study-suggesting-global-warming-exaggerated-rejected-publication-respected-journal-helpful-climate-cause-claims-professor.html

A scientific study which suggests global warming has been exaggerated was rejected by a respected journal because it might fuel climate scepticism, it was claimed last night.

The alarming intervention, which raises fears of ‘McCarthyist’ pressure for environmental scientists to conform, came after a reviewer said the research was ‘less than helpful’ to the climate cause.

Professor Lennart Bengtsson, a research fellow at the University of Reading and one of five authors of the study, said he suspected that intolerance of dissenting views on climate science was preventing his paper from being published.

‘The problem we now have in the climate community is that some scientists are mixing up their scientific role with that of a climate activist,’ he told the Times.

Prof Bengtsson’s paper suggests that the Earth’s environment might be much less sensitive to greenhouse gases than previously thought.

If he and his four co-authors are correct, it would mean that carbon dioxide and other pollutants are having a far less severe impact on climate than green activists would have us believe.

The research, if made public, would be a huge challenge to the finding of the UN’s Intergovernmental panel on Climate Change (IPCC), that the global average temperature would rise by up to 4.5C if greenhouse gases in the atmosphere were allowed to double.

The paper suggested that the climate might be less sensitive to greenhouse gases than had been claimed by the IPCC in its report last September, and recommended that more work be carried out ‘to reduce the underlying uncertainty’