I Can't Watch

... the Lady Irish versus the Vols. And, in another thread, I was given the impression ND is losing (I just peaked and they were back on top after out scoring the Vols 17-5 so far in the second half).

This is becoming like ND football to me: the ladies are 16-0 and I still can't stand the thought of them losing.

Over the next two months, they will be playing a brutal schedule that includes the following currently ranked teams #3 Duke (twice), #6 Maryland, #7 UNC, #11 Tennesse (tonight), #23 NC State, #24 FSU. Then in the tournament, if they advance to the finals they will probably have to play two or three of those teams again. None of those teams are UConn, but they will provide stiff competition week in and week out.

This is a young team with a couple senior starters in Achonwa and McBride. The other 3 starters are Freshmen and Sophomores (I am counting Reimer as a starter). There are a number of underclassmen who are getting serious PT off the bench too. What that means to me is that this team was very fortunate to have the bottom heavy schedule they had in order to buiild confidence and trust as they prepare for another NC run. I expect this team will continue to get better although their record might not be as good during these late summer and early spring months.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was an unbelievable finish. Excellent defense, incredible three-point shooting, perfect passing, very unselfish play... Completely dominated after that early second half scoring burst and never looked back. Every single guard can shoot it and with little time required to set up. Really impressed with this [gulp] coach K like coaching. It all starts with defense and then piled on with great offensive performances. Completely took Tenn out of the game when they dialed up the pressure and started single guard pressing. Great game to watch. Basically the polar opposite of the men's team right now, but to their defense, Lloyd played for the most part where as Grant's MIA for the season.

I still say to have a great year Allen and Rimer really need to score. Allen for one of the best scorers out of high school struggles a ton. Also, Riemer needs to play more, you don't see consistent scoring from Cable and Mabrey like today. Luckily they showed up or this game would of been a L. With lots of ranked teams coming up and on the road will see what happens.

Also, when ND was struggling at times in the first half it was because of the bigs. Muffet needed to sit breaker and Achonwa together and bring a different look. Breaker isn't very good and there are plenty of big bodies who could play, Riemer, Wright, and even the freshman Nelson.

I think see did a fine job of coaching.

I think see did a fine job of coaching.

Yeah, she did an excellent job! Her lineups last night were defense oriented and offensively maximized. Meaning, all could guard Tennessee's quick guards on switches as well as be able to run and gun successfully on offense. Tennessee is a really good team and is great at home so this wasn't exactly a body-bag win. We're all entitled to our opinions though. I'm sure Muffet would even state that there are some areas that she can improve on, but as fans, we should be thrilled to have a coach of her caliber leading the lady Irish. Last night was all about adjustments and she delivered big time, more so than I can ever remember with an ND team. I also agree with what Lawson said during the telecast. Basically that there is one coach in all of women's basketball who can successfully go up against Geno, especially in the final moments of a close game. And that is, coach Muffet McGraw. I trust her reasoning to not play certain players at certain times, or to not give them the minutes we think they deserve. She sees them daily and knows their game more intimately than you or me. She knows about nagging practice injuries, the kind that don't get mentioned to the public, and she knows the players' weaknesses and strength. We don't know any of that and she's a HOF coach who knows how to coach and has delivered ND to great success, so I trust her judgement without question when it comes to playing time.

They say a freshman doesn't truly pick up the intensity, the speed, the plays, nor the confidence to succeed until tourney time of their first year playing. Usually their adjusting happens in three phases. The first is the first few games of the season. The second is the first few games of league play. And the final adjustment comes during tourney play when they usually know the speed, the plays, and the level of competition needed to be successful. Which having all of that under grips, breeds confidence. So I'll be looking for marked improvement from some of the younger girls, mainly consistency, during post season play. All in all though, coach has done a wonderful job and the team seems to be really coming together. A very tough bunch that has won in a variety of ways despite being youthful, which should really help come tourney time.

This is becoming the best program in the nation. It's only going to get better!! Next year we have a 6' 3'' freshman coming in that is the best player in the country. She will be a starter day one. We will run a high-low post with her and Reimer. It will be a scoring machine and hell to penetrate. The new girl can run the floor like a guard and has long arms to challenge anything around the rim. She has range on her jump shot. We will miss Ochanwa but we will actually improve!!

What I saw last night shows me that we can beat Connecticut. If Mabrey and Cable hit like that we can beat anybody. Dang I love watching these girls. Why is it that more DD'ers don't participate in this?? This is just plain fun!!

Muffet is the best recruiter/coach at ND right now.

True that.

The young lady coming in next year, Brianna Taylor, is ranked #2 overall by ESPN. By comparison, Skylar was ranked #4 overall, Jewell was ranked #4 overall, and Taya Reimer was ranked #4 overall. Top 5 rated players: that seems to work out pretty well for us.

Taylor received a grade of 98 from ESPN. No player over the last two years has been graded higher than 98 by ESPN. Only 3 players received that grade last season, and Reimer earned a 97. Allen was ranked #25 overall, a 4* with a grade of 95. This season, ESPN awarded 21 players a grade of 98, and the 21st player was one of Notre Dame's other signed recruits, 5* F Kathryn Westbeld. So Notre Dame will have brought in 3 5* forwards over the last 2 years.

Just for the heck of it, consider that next year's #1 rated player, Asia Durr of Douglasville Georgia's Saint Pius X Catholic School, is looking closely at Notre Dame, among a couple other teams. If we pick her up, our roster could look like this in two years.

Starters:

G #1 5* Fresh Durr/ #25 4* Jr Allen

G #4 5* Sr Loyd

F #2 5* Soph Taylor

F #21 5* Soph Westbeld

F #4 5* Jr Reimer

Bench:

P #39 4* Jr Kristina Nelson

G #34 4* Fr Ali Patberg

G #33 4* Sr Michaela Mabrey

I know that just because they are ranked high, that does not mean they will start; but if a lower ranked player beats a top 5 ranked player out, so much the better, right? Mabrey has already proven herself as a key reserve. That 2015 class, with only a very early commitment from Patberg, is far from finished too. Even if the Irish do not get Durr, they are not out of it for #2 Katie Samuelson, #7 Napheesa Collier, #8 De'Janae Boykin, #9 Teniya Page, and #10 Amari Carter.

Even next season, we have G Loyd, G Allen, F Reimer, G Mabrey, #52 ranked Sr G Madison Cable, and Sr F Markisha Wright all coming back; and you add to that Taylor and Westbeld.

Oh, did I mention that Coach McGraw, while gushing about this year's recruiting class, mentioned that people will be excited when they see Taylor dunking the ball during games?

Just to add one more nugget to this very large haul of gold, consider what this is like in terms of our Coach and our players compared to our legendary football program. It is not an exaggeration to say that Coach McGraw is the basketball equivalent of Ara Parseghian and her recruiting classes are akin to bringing in about 4 to 6 consensus 5* football players a year. That is a formula that should make this team an exciting one for the next several year.

McGraw has always been able to coach, is already in the Hall of Fame, and she beat Auriema several times with what was considered far inferior talent. Now she's bringing in classes that can match his in talent. McGraw is 58 and signed a 10-year contract extension in 2012. That should mean 8 more years of legendary teams under the Golden Dome.

Go Irish

Edited by 2lakes

Maybe I should mention this about the ND women's BB team.

• A perfect 100-percent NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR) score in each of the past seven years (2007-13). Notre Dame also is one of only four programs in the country to record a perfect GSR and play for the national title in the same season (something the Fighting Irish did in both 2010-11 and 2011-12).

http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/muffet_mcgraw_11504.html

Well will see what kind of coaching she does with Lolyd hurt and most likely not playing a game or two. Also, I realize Riemer is a freshman but she plays horrible Defense(1 rebound) and needs to be tougher. Next year will be interesting because losing Achonwa and Mcbride is huge. Even with 3 talented freshman coming in it doesn't mean this is a top ten team.

This is becoming the best program in the nation. It's only going to get better!! Next year we have a 6' 3'' freshman coming in that is the best player in the country. She will be a starter day one. We will run a high-low post with her and Reimer. It will be a scoring machine and hell to penetrate. The new girl can run the floor like a guard and has long arms to challenge anything around the rim. She has range on her jump shot. We will miss Ochanwa but we will actually improve!!

What I saw last night shows me that we can beat Connecticut. If Mabrey and Cable hit like that we can beat anybody. Dang I love watching these girls. Why is it that more DD'ers don't participate in this?? This is just plain fun!!

Last night showed me that we wouldn't beat UCONN IMO. This is the best game that Mabrey and Cable played together. Hopefully, this happens more often, because without them last night it wouldn't of been pretty.

UConn beat #12 Baylor on the road by 11 points. ND beat #11 Tenn on the road by 16 points. I don't think there's as much separation between ND and UConn as some people think. ND has played UConn pretty well these last couple of years and they're not afraid of them at all. I see good things ahead for the Irish!

Well will see what kind of coaching she does with Lolyd hurt and most likely not playing a game or two. Also, I realize Riemer is a freshman but she plays horrible Defense(1 rebound) and needs to be tougher. Next year will be interesting because losing Achonwa and Mcbride is huge. Even with 3 talented freshman coming in it doesn't mean this is a top ten team.

She's already proven herself as a Coach ten times over. The jury came in, gave its verdict, went out to eat, drank too much, danced, got sick, went to bed, woke up, took an Advil and drank a Bloody Mary, gave its verdict again for those who missed it the first time, saw a movie, and crashed its car into a bridge but didn't care. It was all in the papers: didn't you see?

During the last four years Coach McGraw has done more with less, taking the Lady Irish to three Final Fours and two National Championship games. Lest anyone gets too focused on UConn's win in the Semis last year, let's not forget that Auriemma went 1-3 against Notre Dame last season and that it was Notre Dame which cut his season short three years ago in another Semifinal game.

ESPN is enamored with UConn, but, personally, I am much more impressed with Notre Dame's accomplishments these last three years as well as the poise and class the Lady Irish continually show. Not to mention the lack of BS that comes out of the mouth of our coach versus their's. If my daughter were to have a choice of which coach to play under, it wouldn't really be much of a choice as far as I'm concerned.

The fact is that the Irish are past the point of needing to compare themselves to anyone else. This was my last attempt to open anyone's eyes: I am absolutely finished wasting time thinking about that team from the American Athletic Conference. It is all about the Lady Irish of Notre Dame and the ACC, baby. From now on, if you choose to doubt them, then you do so at your own peril.

Edited by 2lakes

Some people will always looks for the bad no matter how much good is directly in front of them. Nice read, Greg!

Thanks, man.

I have one more piece of insight into the mind of Coach McGraw. This is the transcript of a show on NPR (I know, I know...) called "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me." The interview was from November of this year.

SAGAL: I've always wanted to know, because I watch basketball on TV, and there are moments when, you know, the coach calls on the players, and he or she is just yelling at them. And you can't tell because of course you just see it on TV. What are you saying at that moment? I mean, are you trying to motivate the players? I mean, don't they have motivation enough?

MCGRAW: They do, they do. We're talking about practice the next day and how hard it's going to be if we don't win this game.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Really, you're sort of threatening them?

MCGRAW: A little bit.

SAGAL: But let me try to - because I want to get a sense of this because it's not a world I know anything about. Let's assume that you are coaching, say, me. And you're watching the sidelines, and I'm not doing a good job. I know that's hard to imagine, but let's assume.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: And you call me over, and give me the full-on Muffet of the sidelines. What would that be like?

MCGRAW: Why did I give you a scholarship?

(LAUGHTER)

(APPLAUSE)

BABYLON: That's hilarious. That's to the point.

SAGAL: I'm going to get back out there and play, coach.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Everybody knows that the woman's game is just as hard, just as demanding and just as competitive as the men's game, but is the style different? Is like trash-talk different in the women's game?

MCGRAW: No, it really, it's an art form.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: Trash talk?

MCGRAW: Yeah. We don't start it; we finish it.

You can find the whole transcript at http://www.npr.org/2013/11/23/246744054/not-my-job-coach-muffet-mcgraw-gets-quizzed-on-tuffets .

UConn beat #12 Baylor on the road by 11 points. ND beat #11 Tenn on the road by 16 points. I don't think there's as much separation between ND and UConn as some people think. ND has played UConn pretty well these last couple of years and they're not afraid of them at all. I see good things ahead for the Irish!

Tennesse had already 3 losses and one at home, they are far from UCONN. UCONN has played more top teams than ND and is beating everyone by 20+. Also, like Darin Princhett ND hockey play by play man said there's a big difference between top 5 and everyone else in girls bball.