15 per Hour

DTCBND03

I heard an interesting view on the 15/hour strike that's going on across America. An economist said that raising the min wage to 15/hour may have a negative impact on poor employees as some will be made unemployed due to increased labor costs (and thus not getting needed on the job training)...but also because more skilled labor may take those jobs from poorer employees such as college students and wealthier stay-at-home spouses looking for extra income. On top of that fast food prices will certainly increase with labor costs...and what group primarily eats fast food?....poorer people. So now you've combined less jobs for the poor along with a hidden "tax" of increased consumer costs on those that can least afford it.

I'll also point out that those making 7.50/hour right now and on govt assistance are actually already making 15+/hour because they don't factor in the food stamps, section 8 housing, Medicaid, etc.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard an interesting view on the 15/hour strike that's going on across America. An economist said that raising the min wage to 15/hour may have a negative impact on poor employees as some will be made unemployed due to increased labor costs (and thus not getting needed on the job training)...but also because more skilled labor may take those jobs from poorer employees such as college students and wealthier stay-at-home spouses looking for extra income. On top of that fast food prices will certainly increase with labor costs...and what group primarily eats fast food?....poorer people. So now you've combined less jobs for the poor along with a hidden "tax" of increased consumer costs on those that can least afford it.

I'll also point out that those making 7.50/hour right now and on govt assistance are actually already making 15+/hour because they don't factor in the food stamps, section 8 housing, Medicaid, etc.

I would imagine many "discouraged workers" that have stopped looking for work would start looking again as well, increasing the competition, hurting the poorer people even more, and raising the official unemployment numbers.

In addition, companies would increase automation.

This would lower the need for as many human workers.

Companies always look for automation and other productivity increases... I don't think $15/hr necessarily changes that equation.

My main issue is that people working these jobs (FOR PROFITABLE COMPANIES) are also still able to drawing on the dole; that makes no sense.

IF you are full-time, and still drawing assistance... why work? Or, why have public assistance programs at all that define a minimum living standard.

I'm on the Pope Francis program, personally.

But then others complain they are just under full time because the companies don't want to have to pay the health insurance now..... Which of course is Obamas fault.

Also, companies look for automation, but if you have to pay more per worker now, you want to eliminate number of workers. In comes more automation.

For instance (and this could be done already). Ordering your food from a touch pad screen at the counter.

But I do hate the self check out isle at a store because no one can use it without the help of a damn cashier. Or it messes up too much. Humans are still faster.

Edited by Parseghian's theorem

So what they want, is $31200 a year for a job that requires no talent, no education, no skill.

Fast food isn't a career. Wouldn't it stand to reason that the low pay would be incentive to get some vocational training and get a real job? Flippin' burgers is for high school kids... If you're an adult, with a family, working at a fast food joint...Do something about it. Maybe you should have graduated high school? I know I'm painting with broad brush strokes but seriously...

So what they want, is $31200 a year for a job that requires no talent, no education, no skill.

Fast food isn't a career. Wouldn't it stand to reason that the low pay would be incentive to get some vocational training and get a real job? Flippin' burgers is for high school kids... If you're an adult, with a family, working at a fast food joint...Do something about it. Maybe you should have graduated high school? I know I'm painting with broad brush strokes but seriously...

I'm totally with you here.

Most small daily papers don't offer salaries that high for people that went to college to do what they do.

This is just people getting together screaming thinking they can get a free handout.

I'm sure none of them will do their jobs better either after getting the extra money.

And how many would have to go off government assistance of they did?

The real solution is that they own their own burger flipping service...

There are still lots of jobs out there that require skills, that these burger flippers don't have, and that companies don't want to pay to train.

But, even if those (posted) jobs were all taken, there'd still be people unemployed or underemployed.

The manufacturing incentives in this country are totally broken... the tax code is broken, and it hugely favors existing, large enterprises that don't want small business competition.

$15 or not... the tax code still hugely favors the management and owners of capital. your TAX DOLLARS are subsidizing their profitability... I don't understand why so many keep hating on the poor and unskilled, when the rich and elite keep manipulating the system to their gain.

The $15/hr is small potatoes compared to the financial rape of this country of global financiers who hide and shelter their money ... and have means to escape to Singapore if threatened with a tax obligation comparable to us in the middle class (28% vs 15% for capital gains).

The real solution is that they own their own burger flipping service...

There are still lots of jobs out there that require skills, that these burger flippers don't have, and that companies don't want to pay to train.

But, even if those (posted) jobs were all taken, there'd still be people unemployed or underemployed.

The manufacturing incentives in this country are totally broken... the tax code is broken, and it hugely favors existing, large enterprises that don't want small business competition.

$15 or not... the tax code still hugely favors the management and owners of capital. your TAX DOLLARS are subsidizing their profitability... I don't understand why so many keep hating on the poor and unskilled, when the rich and elite keep manipulating the system to their gain.

The $15/hr is small potatoes compared to the financial rape of this country of global financiers who hide and shelter their money ... and have means to escape to Singapore if threatened with a tax obligation comparable to us in the middle class (28% vs 15% for capital gains).

This is the democratic rhetoric. It's pulling on emotional heart strings and doesn't make good financial policy.

I think economic class (micro and macro) should be required for every high school and college student.

The problem is people want $15 an hour, but they don't want to have to work any harder for it.

I deliver papers in the morning, everyday from 3AM to 6AM, a little longer on the weekends. I make around $19 an hour when all is said and done. Not bad for a "part-time" gig, especially as I could work another job if I chose.

There are currently two or three routes available that my supervisor can't fill. No one will take them. So in this economy, $17-19 dollars an hour is being passed up because the hours sort of suck, but they want $15 to flip burgers? Please.

This is the democratic rhetoric. It's pulling on emotional heart strings and doesn't make good financial policy.

I think economic class (micro and macro) should be required for every high school and college student.

Right on dude. There are MAKERS, and there are TAKERS.

If the chattel can't figure it out, that's their problem.

Let's be men about all this crap. It's not about financial policy or political systems, it is about survival. There will be winners and losers, join a tribe. McFlipper is part of the wrong tribe.

That's why you work hard to get into ND, and you join one of the elite tribes that control money and power, or you join the tribe to protect and serve. Serve well, and you'll be taken care of.

Tribe McBuggerFlip is a losing cause. If you're flipping burgers fulltime for 10 years, you should be on genetic sterilization program because it's likely you and your lot are not going any higher on the food chain. If you're happing flipping the burger, then don't call for $15/hr.

Seriously, when will people learn.

I have micro & macro economic education. There are economic costs to tax payers (directly) and society (indirectly) by not sustaining a living wage, or opportunity.

Society is not just financial policy, there are moral considerations too.

I think philosophy and history classes should be required for every high school and college student.

Tribe McBuggerFlip is a losing cause. If you're flipping burgers fulltime for 10 years, you should be on genetic sterilization program because it's likely you and your lot are not going any higher on the food chain. If you're happing flipping the burger, then don't call for $15/hr.

Wow. This board never ceases to amaze me. Are any of you Catholics? Have you read the Gospel, not written by Ayn Rand or Rush Limbaugh.

if this goes through, the fast food business will change drastically as we know it... i personally couldn't care less because i don't eat it, but there are gonna be a boatload of unemployed people since they will be forced to reduce their work forces...teenage employment in those places will disappear completely...be careful what you wish for mcdonalds employee cuz you might be the one they axe first...:brick:

Let's be men about all this crap. It's not about financial policy or political systems, it is about survival. There will be winners and losers, join a tribe. McFlipper is part of the wrong tribe.

That's why you work hard to get into ND, and you join one of the elite tribes that control money and power, or you join the tribe to protect and serve. Serve well, and you'll be taken care of.

If this is not sarcasm I have a simple question. Do you have a personality disorder?

:usa2::brick: