Government Shutdown

97domer

I understand that we have some unprecedented issues that need to be resolved, but the government shutdown is an example of everything that is wrong with Congress. Dems/Repubs are so polarized that they no longer have the ability to compromise. It is an embarrassing day to be an American.

I think the government should take a page out of the Vatican's book. Anytime there is a shutdown, Congress should be locked into an uncomfortable room, without pay and only bread/water to eat/drink until the issues are resolved (like the conclave for the Pope.) Maybe even only provide port-a-johns that do not get emptied.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem is the media portrays whatever they want to portray so we have no idea what is really happening.

From what I gather repubs have said they want the individual mandate delayed for a year, like it is for a number of businesses and unions.

Dems realize this kills Obamacare, so they say no. But why is it ok to not have the mandate for some, but not for all?

So it seems like both sides are stuck in their positions, but there are good and both arguments on both sides.

In some regard, this is why I think we need congressional term limits. Guys are career politicians these days and vote for their next election instead of what they truly think is best for the county, whether it gets them elected again or not.

In some regard, this is why I think we need congressional term limits. Guys are career politicians these days and vote for their next election instead of what they truly think is best for the county, whether it gets them elected again or not.

I could not agree more!!!!!

This is just mainly me playing devil's advocate, because I don't have a solution other than to get money out of politics, but-

On the flip side of this, if congressional term limits are instituted, we open Washington up to being even more "bought" by Wall Street than they already are. Because of name recognition, congresspeople get reelected at an extremely high rate; therefore, they can vote how they believe or vote for their constituents.

With term limits, we will lose those congresspeople (not necessarily a bad thing based on record), and who will rise up behind them? The people that get the most campaign money from big businesses, thus advancing the interests of the wealthy and hurting the underprivileged, who can't afford to donate to the candidate who best furthers their interest.

It's a tough situation, but really, money and politics shouldn't mix. In my opinion, that is the root of everything that is wrong with Washington, and virtually every other issue branches off it.

Fair point. I guess we need to find that balance. Stop the gerrymandering of districts. Stop the lobbies. Stop campaigning as soon as you are elected.

I don't know how you do any of that now, but I doubt this is what the founding fathers had in mind.

It's shutdown 17 times since 1976. I could really care less. My local liberal news was crying because some school from Detroit was in DC this week and can't go visit the monuments. Boo hoo.

The military is still getting a check. The mail is still being delivered. Who cares if national parks and monuments are down for a week or two? And gov't workers getting furloughed? More reason to not f###ing have so many goddamn jobs in the gov't sector.

This is a complete non-issue.

Fair point. I guess we need to find that balance. Stop the gerrymandering of districts. Stop the lobbies. Stop campaigning as soon as you are elected.

I don't know how you do any of that now, but I doubt this is what the founding fathers had in mind.

You know how you do it? Fixing the federal government is easy. Mother-****in'-term limits. Boom. The entire system is fixed.

Two 6 year terms in the senate and six 2 year terms in the house. No more career politicians. If you can't get the job done in 12 years, someone else will. Instead we have these lifers, obviously on some lobbyist payroll, holding grudges for decades, with no concept of the real world outside of their little Washington bubble.

When Harry Reid was asked how he could afford 600 acres in Montana, four houses, and a 10,000 home, he said it was because it was his year and a half in the private sector. His first job out of law school.

Bingo.

Then you see Nancy Pelosi vote for green energy handouts... When you trace the money trail? Her brother in-law nets 737million dollars to create 45 jobs

DOE announced a $737 million loan guarantee to help finance construction of the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project, a 110-megawatt solar-power-generating facility in Nye County, Nev. The project is sponsored by Tonopah Solar, a subsidiary of California-based SolarReserve.

The Energy Department said the project will result in 600 construction jobs and 45 permanent jobs.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/29/737-million-in-green-tech-loan-to-company-connected-to-pelosi-family/

Get 'em all out, both sides of the aisle.

It's shutdown 17 times since 1976. I could really care less. My local liberal news was crying because some school from Detroit was in DC this week and can't go visit the monuments. Boo hoo.

The military is still getting a check. The mail is still being delivered. Who cares if national parks and monuments are down for a week or two? And gov't workers getting furloughed? More reason to not f###ing have so many goddamn jobs in the gov't sector.

A non-issue? I disagree. Yes, it's happened 17 times and it should happen 0. I realize that the issue is a difficult one. Though I am not in agreement with much of what I understand Obamacare to be, I also think that the House Republicans shouldn't be using this podium (threat of a government shut-down) to try and enact changes in a law; go through the proper channels. This is why it is an issue - because it sets a bad precedence.

Regardless, I will also agree with you and disagree with myself (yikes!) - you are probably right that it doesn't matter. At some point, though, we can't continue to accept inappropriate behavior with an excuse that 'it is just politics'...

Agreed. As a side note I saw that there was a group of Honor Flight Vets from Mississippi who were scheduled to visit the WWII Memorial in DC. Apparently they weren't going to take "no" for an answer and the barricades blocking their way were quickly adapted and overcome so they could pay tribute and remember their brethren.

Congress could take a lesson from these fine folks who know the true meaning of sacrifice, teamwork, and a get the job done attitude. Greatest Generation indeed!

Here's the link, sorry

http://news.yahoo.com/veterans-storm-wwii-memorial-during-govt-shutdown-170049683.html

Edited by jessemoore97

The problem is Obama has changed or delayed numerous parts of Obamacare unilaterally. The IRS isn't going to follow the law regarding state vs federal exchanges and subsidies.

So Obama changes all these things that wrong by himself, which isn't legal, but when repuicans want to change, everything is non-negotiable. It can't be both ways.

The problem is Obama has changed or delayed numerous parts of Obamacare unilaterally. The IRS isn't going to follow the law regarding state vs federal exchanges and subsidies.

So Obama changes all these things that wrong by himself, which isn't legal, but when repuicans want to change, everything is non-negotiable. It can't be both ways.

Remember that the act was passed without a single Republican vote. And then when they take control of the house, the Dems and media act all surprised when it comes time to get funding and they find the House stonewalling them.

It would be career suicide for any republican to vote fund this wildly unpopular act.

It would be career suicide for any republican to vote fund this wildly unpopular act.

This is all I'm going to write about politics. But you mentioned this already. This isn't about the greater good of America but about their careers. I'm not saying Obamacare is good or not, I'm simply highlighting your quote.

Agreed. As a side note I saw that there was a group of Honor Flight Vets from Mississippi who were scheduled to visit the WWII Memorial in DC. Apparently they weren't going to take"no"for an answer and the barricades blocking their way were quickly adapted and overcome so they could pay tribute and remember their brethren.

Congress could take a lesson from these fine folks who know the true meaning of sacrifice,teamwork,and a get the job done attitude. Greatest Generation indeed!Here's the link, sorry

http://news.yahoo.com/veterans-storm-wwii-memorial-during-govt-shutdown-170049683.html

This is complete BS and grandstanding by the White House. Why does the WWiI memorial need to be closed? It is a bunch of statues in open space. Same with Lincoln Memorial that thu closed. It's a giant statue in a pavilion. Why can't that stay open? People can't look at a statue without assistance?