Government Shutdown

97domer

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is complete BS and grandstanding by the White House. Why does the WWiI memorial need to be closed? It is a bunch of statues in open space. Same with Lincoln Memorial that thu closed. It's a giant statue in a pavilion. Why can't that stay open? People can't look at a statue without assistance?

To me this goes so far beyond partisan politics, this is just common sense. These veterans have earned the right to be able to see this monument in all its glory, fountains and lighting going, instead of shut down. Found out later some of the Vets were Iowans yesterday. I was glad to see some of my Congressman, from both sides( Harkin and King), who were at the memorial demanding answers and the opening of this memorial for these brave men and women.

Its being reported though that more Honor Flight Vets are possibly going to be in town today, and the Feds may be stepping up the shut down effort at the parks. We'll see about that. I agree a 100% that its insane the open air public venues are being fenced off and closed down.

When Harry Reid was asked how he could afford 600 acres in Montana, four houses, and a 10,000 home, he said it was because it was his year and a half in the private sector. His first job out of law school.

Quck google search didn't yield me a source, but I'd like to use this in a different debate assuming it's true. Do you have a source for it?

We shouldn't have to pay taxes while the Gov. is shutdown.

Jimmy Kimmel asked people if they preferred the Affordable care act or Obama care and most hated Obama care while loving the ACA. Even Fox news had a poll where people approved one over the other.

Gotta love America.

Did you see the latest news break on this Jackass? The hotline? For his Affordable Care act?

Simply dial 1-800-****YO to reach the next available health-care provider.

Far from being a mistype, that’s the official number that Health and Human Services wants Americans to dial when seeking health care. Obamacare’s national call center really did list its number as 1-800-318-2596, helpfully spelling out President Barack Obama’s tendency to blatantly flip the bird in plain view.

After allowing for the lack of letters attached to 1 on a traditional American telephone keypad, the number spells out a clear message. For every duped voter, every young invincible weighing the cost of a penalty versus a newly tripled yearly deductible, every ailing old granny in a wheelchair (whom, remember, Paul Ryan wants to push off a cliff) who needs adequate and affordable health care, Obama’s message is:

1-800-3(F) 8(U) 2© 5(K) 9(Y) 6(O).

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/03/need-health-care-coverage-just-dial-1-800-****yo-to-reach-obamacares-national-hotline/

Let's look at this objectively for a minute- this comes from a friend and he's 100% right on, in my opinion:

"1) Currently, the US government is systematically shutting down because it can’t pass funding for its budget through both the House and Senate. It can’t do this because a minority group – namely Tea Party members -- within the House Republican Party insists on attaching a “rider” bill to any funding measure – a bill to delay and.../or defund the Affordable Care Act by one year. The Democrat-majority Senate and the President will not allow such a rider bill, and rightfully so; the ACA was just made into law and has barely begun to take effect. Such a rider bill has little to do with funding the government’s day-to-day operations.

2) The Affordable Care Act is now LAW. It was passed into law in 2010, and the Supreme Court upheld its constitutionality in 2012. It successfully passed through all three branches of our government. Since the ACA was made law, the Republican Party has tried to repeal it several dozen times. The group of Congresspeople now spearheading the delay effort and forcing a government shutdown represent only 80/435 of all Congressional districts, and only 14.5/118 million votes cast in elections last year.

3) While the government is shut down, it cannot fund many basic services and cannot pay its employees. Because faith in the US to pay its debts is an integral part of the domestic and global economy, a prolonged shutdown threatens investor confidence and our already slow economic recovery. The economic outlook becomes bleak.

4) Even the top Republican leadership, like 2008 Republican Presidential contender John McCain, has called this rider bill “unnecessary,” saying, “We can’t win ... Republicans will be perceived as blocking and as shutting down the government.” Because that’s exactly what they’re doing.

5) You DON’T have to LIKE the ACA to disapprove of these rider bills. It’s an inappropriate and irresponsible strategy. The worst kind of prophecy is a self-fulfilling prophecy; government cannot work if you don’t allow it to work. To borrow from my favorite metaphor I’ve heard so far, when you lose the game, you don’t kick the ball into the woods. That’s bad sportsmanship, and it’s exactly the kind of hyper-partisan mentality the Tea Party is engaging in, and it’s damaging all of us.

Whether you’re a Democrat, Republican, liberal, conservative, or independent, tell your representative that it is NOT OKAY to use functioning government as a hostage to push a particular agenda. We all lose. Measures that I don't like get passed by the US government all the time, but that doesn't give anyone the right to break the system, a system which is our best tool for ensuring a democratic society."

It is working within the system of checks and balances our fore fathers built into the government.

This year the scapegoat is the Tea Party. Who was to blame the other years our lame duck President couldn't get a budget passed?

I blame both sides for extremely divisive partisanship in years past, though I don't see the relevence.

Well, we have until October 17 to pass a budget and raise the debt ceiling. If that doesn't happen, the United States will default on our loans, which would be absolutely catastrophic for the global economy.

Ironically, it was Boehner who said "This isn't some damn game!", when it's the far right that is, quite literally, holding the government hostage on a law that has been passed, signed, and declared constitutional. It passed all three levels of government- it has already passed the system of checks and balances! This is a small subset of half of the legislative branch that is puffing out their chests. No check, no balance involved here.