Presidential Debate Thoughts?

methinks no matter how much we need a change in the whitehouse the Romney-Ryan ticket is a bad marriage

Agreed on the last part.

Why no mention of 47%, no pointing to Ryan cutting the same 716B from medicare?

GOP should enjoy the moment, believe all the vagueries and mathematical inconsistencies will be taken to task in the following debate.

What Romney proposed didn't add up, but he was the aggressor so the victory, last night, is his. A race that was slipping from Mitt didn't go off the cliff. Still a major uphill climb and a need to release actual details that back his plan.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed on the last part.

Why no mention of 47%, no pointing to Ryan cutting the same 716B from medicare?

GOP should enjoy the moment, believe all the vagueries and mathematical inconsistencies will be taken to task in the following debate.

What Romney proposed didn't add up, but he was the aggressor so the victory, last night, is his. A race that was slipping from Mitt didn't go off the cliff. Still a major uphill climb and a need to release actual details that back his plan.

I think 47% is actually a touchy issue for Obama. It's one thing to use it in campaign stumps, ads, etc. but it might have been dangerous to use in a debate.

Yes, it would have made Romney look the fool, but Romney could have responded that if Obama's policies are so great, why are more people than ever forced to rely on the government?

As a campaign talking point, great tool, as a statistic to boost your economic plan, not so great.

Agree with everyone that Gov. Romney performed far better than President Obama.

But in the large scale remember this, remember how President Bush looked after the first debate against Senator Kerry. The reactions and outcomes after that first debate were very similar to the reactions after this current one.

I don't know who will win but I think it is far from over as some have mentioned or alluded to.

That is the most un-American thing you can do short of burning the flag. Why would you not exercise your right to determine the future of the free country you live in?

He didn't say he wasn't voting, he said he wasn't voting for either of them.

Agree with everyone that Gov. Romney performed far better than President Obama.

But in the large scale remember this, remember how President Bush looked after the first debate against Senator Kerry. The reactions and outcomes after that first debate were very similar to the reactions after this current one.

I don't know who will win but I think it is far from over as some have mentioned or alluded to.

John Kerry is a helluva lot better debator and policitican than Barack Obama. More importantly, Mitt Romney is a far better debator and presidential candidate than former president Bush. By no means did Romney sew up the election last night, but it created excellent momentum.

Everyone agrees Obama wasn't prepared and didn't portray any hope or change.

Even liberal Chris Matthews agrees that Obama was disappointing and out of sorts. No one has asked hard questions to Obama in five years. A huge home run for Romney.

Wait for the liberal media to attack Romney with full force.

Wait for the liberal media to attack Romney with full force.
How can they really attack him? His track record in his home state is excellent. When the main criticism of a person is how wealthy they are (from his hard work & foresight alone) and his faith you know you're dealing with a high character individual. James Carville and Allen Combs will have to dig deep down in their bag of tricks now. Romney's specificity clearly trounced Obama's lack thereof and delayed, broad responses. Edited by OKCIrish99

Obama's and Romney's past debate performances clearly show that Obama is a better debater than Romney, so I was pretty surprised by what happened. Romney did win, but I don't think it was the dominant performance you guys make it out to be. It seemed like a lot of "You did this" "No I didn't" "You said that" "No I didn't" banter.

On that note, as always, it's important to check facts. There were a lot of numbers spewed out by both candidates. Here's a related NPR article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/10/03/162263539/romney-goes-on-offense-pays-for-it-in-first-wave-of-fact-checks?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

One big thing I noticed was Romney's insistance that Obama supports a "trickle-down" system of economics. Romney actually supports corporate tax cuts, which are a form of trickle-down economics, so I'm not sure where he was going with that....

Obama's and Romney's past debate performances clearly show that Obama is a better debater than Romney, so I was pretty surprised by what happened. Romney did win, but I don't think it was the dominant performance you guys make it out to be. It seemed like a lot of "You did this" "No I didn't" "You said that" "No I didn't" banter.

On that note, as always, it's important to check facts. There were a lot of numbers spewed out by both candidates. Here's a related NPR article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/10/03/162263539/romney-goes-on-offense-pays-for-it-in-first-wave-of-fact-checks?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

One big thing I noticed was Romney's insistance that Obama supports a "trickle-down" system of economics. Romney actually supports corporate tax cuts, which are a form of trickle-down economics, so I'm not sure where he was going with that....

It isn't just this board making it seem as though Romney won thoroughly. I deliver papers in the morning, and every paper had articles and editorials portraying the Romney victory. Many of which are traditionally very slanted liberal papers in Chicago, an Obama bastion of support.

I'm a big Romney guy, but I want to know more about this 5 trillion dollar tax number especially after reading ND3's article pertaining to it. I like the Romney percentages in his his tax plan, and I sincerely like his desired removal of Obamacare. However, I do want to more about the numbers on his tax plan.

I really like how Romney wants to reduce the tax rate on small business whereas Obama wants to increase it. Romney clearly understands basic economic and financial policies very well, and that's why he needs to be the next president very badly.

The bottom line is you just can't tax something that isn't there. I have already cut 15 jobs from my payroll and will cut another 7 by March to get my payroll and Obamacare liabilities down. I'm contracting out another 5 jobs on top of that too. Ever since Obamacare has passed my collections have dried up. My patent visits are skyrocketing but it doesn't matter if you can't pay your staff! That's why I'm voting for My Man Mitt!

That is the most un-American thing you can do short of burning the flag. Why would you not exercise your right to determine the future of the free country you live in?

Pump your breaks, Uncle Sam.

Because while the country has unfortunately become a two-party system, there are other candidates and, while the vote would my symbolic at that point, it's my vote to give?

I'm a big Romney guy, but I want to know more about this 5 trillion dollar tax number especially after reading ND3's article pertaining to it. I like the Romney percentages in his his tax plan, and I sincerely like his desired removal of Obamacare. However, I do want to more about the numbers on his tax plan.

Polifact says: Half-true, definitely misleading

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/04/barack-obama/obama-says-romneys-plan-5-trillion-tax-cut/

The bottom line is you just can't tax something that isn't there. I have already cut 15 jobs from my payroll and will cut another 7 by March to get my payroll and Obamacare liabilities down. I'm contracting out another 5 jobs on top of that too. Ever since Obamacare has passed my collections have dried up. My patent visits are skyrocketing but it doesn't matter if you can't pay your staff! That's why I'm voting for My Man Mitt!

What did Romney tell you about Obamacare that he would change or replace? It sounded to me like "Im gonna keep it but...I have to say I dont like it or else I am backtracking again".

Pump your breaks, Uncle Sam.

Because while the country has unfortunately become a two-party system, there are other candidates and, while the vote would my symbolic at that point, it's my vote to give?

Are you making a statement or asking a question?

My apologies as your statement implied you weren't casting a vote this year. It is a peeve of mine when people complain about their country then don't even exercise their right to vote and change things. Carry on....

What did Romney tell you about Obamacare that he would change or replace? It sounded to me like "Im gonna keep it but...I have to say I dont like it or else I am backtracking again".

Says it's an issue that belongs to states, not federal gov't. He wants it repealed. No flip-flopping here.

Are you making a statement or asking a question?

My apologies as your statement implied you weren't casting a vote this year. It is a peeve of mine when people complain about their country then don't even exercise their right to vote and change things. Carry on....

Making a statement.

I didn't say I wasn't voting — I said I wasn't voting for Romney or Obama. Neither of them deserve my vote.

Why are you surprised in Obama's performance? Mickey Mouse could have gotten in as president in 2008 under the democratic ticket. Obama's record the last 4 years is abysmal and when challenged (as tonight), which rarely occurs, he clearly and soundly gets defeated. Mitt Romney is not an act. He is absurdly wealthy and has no reason to become president other than legitimate interest in putting this great nation back to where it belongs.

I don't understand this statement- of course he has something to gain from being the POTUS. If his policies were to support the wealthy, he can greatly increase his own wealth from being President.

Obama has much less to gain personally from a second term. As a former President, all he has to do is write a book and go on speaking tours and he's set for life.