Colin Coward

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think CC is a ND hater, i think that he's just being honest about the ND program.

i agree with hawaii. if we want the ND bashing to stop then it's time to win some freak'en games.

don't remember but did anyone bash ND football from '88-'93?

Well, heck yeah, we only achieved one NC when we had the capacity to win 3 or 4.

We gave up that ridiculous game to BC when we should have crushed them.

People thought Coach Holtz wasted the second half of games building up a nice lead and then playing the percentages by sitting on it, fans did not like the option but wanted a pro style offense, fans were upset about ND "stooping" to Prop 48 athletes...

Well, considering I see this as a six-win team, I don't disagree with him.

He's still an ass, though.

So we drop both Michigan games, Stefan Taylor and a bunch of new guys, Oklahoma, USC and who else now? BYU at home? Really? Miami returning 11 total starters?

So we drop both Michigan games, Stefan Taylor and a bunch of new guys, Oklahoma, USC and who else now? BYU at home? Really? Miami returning 11 total starters?

Have you been sleeping under a rock for the last few years?

NEWS FLASH! How many games have we lost to teams with "inferior talent"? How many times have we lost to an Armed Forces team the last few years? How many games have we lost by tripping on ourselves? TOO MANY! Good teams don't do that. We are not a good team until we prove otherwise. I love ND football but even I am getting tired of seeing ND in the preseason top 25. I think everyone is getting sick of hearing ND making noise and falling on their faces. Cowerd is not fueling the anti-ND. Cool-Aid drinking ND fans are. I am sure the other half of the country is sick of hearing ND fans talk about how good they are going to be which makes them laugh so much harder when November comes around.

Comeon rocket--herbstriet DID NOT predict 8 games--a reasonable pick--

He predicted 6 games--thats 6 games---instead, despite all our problems & redzone turnovers we won 8 games and should have won 9 at minimum---

Herbstreit was WAY OFF BASE predicting 6 wins in 2011 --and i justifiably pointed that out with some colorful lanquage---

And i am more then willing to make the same arguments against those who predict 6 games this season----thats a fools bet IMHO---negative to the extreme and moderately illogical---

aloha's

Have you been sleeping under a rock for the last few years?

NEWS FLASH! How many games have we lost to teams with "inferior talent"? How many times have we lost to an Armed Forces team the last few years? How many games have we lost by tripping on ourselves? TOO MANY! Good teams don't do that. We are not a good team until we prove otherwise. I love ND football but even I am getting tired of seeing ND in the preseason top 25. I think everyone is getting sick of hearing ND making noise and falling on their faces. Cowerd is not fueling the anti-ND. Cool-Aid drinking ND fans are. I am sure the other half of the country is sick of hearing ND fans talk about how good they are going to be which makes them laugh so much harder when November comes around.

Then again, you have to have a pretty good team to go 8-5 year in and year out against the toughest schedule in the country. Granted, it's not an NC caliber performance, but it is also disingenuous to say it is not a "good" season that (last year, at least) came within a few yards and a couple fumbles of being a "great" season.

Edited by 2lakes

Well, yes Piratey does in fact sleep under a rock. Rock canopy beds are in vogue. Ask Patrick Starfish.

Hell yeah I do!

I am a Detroit sports fan. I don't buy into Eric's stupid "News Flash" notion of "Herpa Derp, bad stuff happened before, assume they'll happen again" I watched the Tigers lose 119 and go to the world series three years later. I watched the Lion's go 0-16 and make the playoffs at 10-6 three years later.

This whole notion that because we lost to some teams we shouldn't have in a previous year doesn't have any baring on what is going to happen this year. Especially not when the root cause of those recent losses, Rees, is no longer the starting QB. You want to tell me that loses to Navy and Air Force in 2007 mean anything to this team? No one on the team played in those games. No one is left from the 'Cuse debacle in 2008. Navy lose in 2010? Am I suppose to cry that we no longer feature Armando Allen and Dayne Crist?(and remember Floyd didn't play)

We have a 1000yd+ running back in his fourth year in the program, the best and most experienced offensive line we've had since 1993, the best linebacker in football(which the way he is taken for granted around here, means nothing. If we were playing a team with Manti on it, you would be sh*tting your pants) a deep talented d-line for the first time, since 2002? The best TE in football. Dare I say maybe the best kick returner in the country and the best we've had since the Rocket? And we finally have a QB that runs our coaches system.

But yeah, lemme just assume we're gonna wet the bed against some inferior teams and win no games against a team with a pulse. While I'm at it, I'll just wrap myself up in a giant Maxi pad to top it all off.

Hell yeah I do!

I am a Detroit sports fan. I don't buy into Eric's stupid "News Flash" notion of "Herpa Derp, bad stuff happened before, assume they'll happen again" I watched the Tigers lose 119 and go to the world series three years later. I watched the Lion's go 0-16 and make the playoffs at 10-6 three years later.

This whole notion that because we lost to some teams we shouldn't have in a previous year doesn't have any baring on what is going to happen this year. Especially not when the root cause of those recent losses, Rees, is no longer the starting QB. You want to tell me that loses to Navy and Air Force in 2007 mean anything to this team? No one on the team played in those games. No one is left from the 'Cuse debacle in 2008. Navy lose in 2010? Am I suppose to cry that we no longer feature Armando Allen and Dayne Crist?(and remember Floyd didn't play)

We have a 1000yd+ running back in his fourth year in the program, the best and most experienced offensive line we've had since 1993, the best linebacker in football(which the way he is taken for granted around here, means nothing. If we were playing a team with Manti on it, you would be sh*tting your pants) a deep talented d-line for the first time, since 2002? The best TE in football. Dare I say maybe the best kick returner in the country and the best we've had since the Rocket? And we finally have a QB that runs our coaches system.

But yeah, lemme just assume we're gonna wet the bed against some inferior teams and win no games against a team with a pulse. While I'm at it, I'll just wrap myself up in a giant Maxi pad to top it all off.

How does the kool aid taste? Dude, you are a homer. Of course ND can be great next season. I pray for it. The problem is that there is nothing ND has done in the last 5 years to warrant a ton of respect. I'll play along and show some half full for you.

Rees is not longer QB but Hendrix didn't show to be much better. And Golson hasn't played a game. He will make critical mistakes like any young QB and cost the team games.

The mere fact the ND has new players means nothing. Every team has seniors graduate and benchwarmers transfer. That doesnt mean they will be better.

We have a RB over 1000 yards. Lots of schools do. Last game he played, he played poorly. It takes more than one player (in a non-QB role) to have an effective offense.

Defense is a team sport. Manti is great. But we have a solid starting DL but no pass rushers. That's ok though because we have lock down corners, right? We don't have proven pass rushers or lock down corners. Doesn't sound that great to me.

Best returner in the country... Seriously? Have you watched LSU? You know, the kid that was up for a Heisman last season.

Football season is young but you need to shake the Cobb webs and remember ND hasn't done anything memorable in the last several years. Don't shoot the messenger.

CC is not a hater. He is being honest. ANYONE calling for ND to win over 8 games is a fan. ND has not consistently won over 8 games in years. ND lost their best offensive weapon. ND lost there top DL. ND lost two top CBs and a NFL safety. We have the toughest schedule in years. You want people to start believing in the ND hype, win games.

And fans have a short term memory but CC was a HUGE Weis supporter. He loved ND when Weis was here. Oh well.

Well said. ND doesn't deserve much respect anymore. They lose to too many inferior teams. They have to go out and earn respect, and I believe they will do it this year, but I would more upset if people like CC were just giving them respect they don't deserve. That isn't going to do any good.

Also, any voice on ESPN is only spewing propaganda that furthers ESPN's agenda, and that is all. ESPN loves it when ND is really good or really bad, but in between does nothing for them. F ESPN.

Dennis Dodd, CBS's college football "expert", predicted that the 1988 Notre Dame team would be lucky to go 5-6.

And many of you would have agreed with him. We lost our last three games of 87. We lost our best ( and really only) receiver ( who also happened to be the Heisman trophy winner). Our starting qb graduated. Our new qb had barely seen the field. We were starting a whole new defensive line. Our secondary was young and untested. The previous year they had been questionable, at best.

Cowherd is just a talking head who gets paid to take bold positions, to have a strong opinion. He will continue to spew the same SEC-dominant, cold-weather schools-suck fodder until the wind changes direction. No idea why folks get so tuned up about national opinion.

How does the kool aid taste? Dude, you are a homer. Of course ND can be great next season. I pray for it. The problem is that there is nothing ND has done in the last 5 years to warrant a ton of respect. I'll play along and show some half full for you.

Rees is not longer QB but Hendrix didn't show to be much better. And Golson hasn't played a game. He will make critical mistakes like any young QB and cost the team games.

The mere fact the ND has new players means nothing. Every team has seniors graduate and benchwarmers transfer. That doesnt mean they will be better.

We have a RB over 1000 yards. Lots of schools do. Last game he played, he played poorly. It takes more than one player (in a non-QB role) to have an effective offense.

Defense is a team sport. Manti is great. But we have a solid starting DL but no pass rushers. That's ok though because we have lock down corners, right? We don't have proven pass rushers or lock down corners. Doesn't sound that great to me.

Best returner in the country... Seriously? Have you watched LSU? You know, the kid that was up for a Heisman last season.

Football season is young but you need to shake the Cobb webs and remember ND hasn't done anything memorable in the last several years. Don't shoot the messenger.

HA... Piratey... OK. Maybe we do have the best returner in the country now.

A lot of what you say has some merit to it, but the "ND hasn't done anything in 5 years" argument is so tired.

Auburn was 9-4, 5-7 and 8-4 the 3 years before they won the title.

Look at Alabama the 11 years before Saban got there. Three 10 win seasons yes, but in other 8 they had a 3 win season, 4 twice, 6 twice and 7 three times.

The end of the Zook era for Florida culminated in 8, 8 and 7 wins. They won the title two years later.

I'm sure I could go on, the point is plenty of programs have a number of bad years in a row at some point before they improve and contend near the top again.

As Piratey mentioned, what bearing at all do bad losses of the past have on this season?

If you can find even one quote by a coach or player suggesting a tough loss from two seasons ago affected him in a loss I'd be shocked.