Men's BB: Georgetown vs ND

Back door cuts??? Not against this defense. I wish you guys would quit underestimating us.

No kidding Oak, chill out. Brey-led teams are notorious for second-half collapses, bad defense, and going for long spurts without scoring. And anytime Kemba Walker is on your team, you've got a shot. I wouldn't overlook UConn. And you do realize GT runs the Princeton Offense right?

Great win by the Irish though and hopefully they can keep up the defensive/offensive intensity throughout this weekend. :grin:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know how anyone can be dissatisfied with Brey-- he's starting two 2-star players, two 3-stars, and one who's in his first year playing for ND, yet he year in and year out competes with the talent-loaded Big East. He definitely could do a better job of recruiting, but he does a great job of developing players and winning with what he has.

Brey's record in March is pretty bad, and ultimately--that's how a college basketball coach is judged. :grin:

Brey takes a team with no athletic abiity and inferior to almost every Big East team, and turns them into a top 25 team every year. If you are dissastisfied with Brey, good luck finding someone better to take the job. Who would want to coach basketball at ND?

I started getting excited last year when Harangody went out and we made a run. I fully believe we win the first round in the tournament if Gody was still out. He shot horribly. We may not beat the Orange in Syracuse, but this team will not fold. I have seen Connecticut play and they don't match up with us. Barring injury, this team will not fold. We keep getting better. Martin is developing. Cooley is a good role player and can rebound big time. We are elite in the best conference in America. If we beat Syracuse we will be ranked in the top ten headed to the top 5.

Brey takes a team with no athletic abiity and inferior to almost every Big East team, and turns them into a top 25 team every year. If you are dissastisfied with Brey, good luck finding someone better to take the job. Who would want to coach basketball at ND?

I'm sorry. I thought success was winning in March. Guess I was mistaken. And who's fault is it that ND has inferior talent? And how did Butler do with even less talent than Notre Dame last year?

Look, Swarbrick said it best: "It's about competing every year for championships." Competing is not one-and-dones in the tournament after playing .500 ball in college basketball's toughest league. (.500 ball in the Big East should at least lead to a couple of wins in March)

Having said that, I'm simply explaining why there's still a contingent of people who don't see Brey's offensively-heavy pedigree as being the answer for Notre Dame. It puts an undue pressure and expectancy on shooters and on the flow of the game. (see 8 minute scoring drought against UNC as further evidence) By the end of the year, it often tires out the team which always seems to be visible in the tournament.

But Brey seems to have figured out how important defense is (this year) and has shown that he can change his philosophy to what best suits the team. But why did it take so long? Just curious...

The difference between champions and everyone else is that champions refuse to settle for anything other than champion-like results. Seems like the biggest difference between Brey and his former protege' is that Coach K. believes in a pressure defense and a constant ball denial.

**But Maybe Mike Brey talked with him 'cause the team that played last night played like a Duke squad with tenacity and confidence. I hope they keep it up! :grin:

I'm sorry. I thought success was winning in March. Guess I was mistaken. And who's fault is it that ND has inferior talent?

Not really a response to your comment but your statement is the reason why college football coaches don't want a playoff. A playoff would produce 1 winner and the rest losers, losers without job security that bowl wins provide.

Brey's basketball team is like a college football team that goes 8-4, 9-3, or even 10-2 every year, but struggles in bowl games.

Not really a response to your comment but your statement is the reason why college football coaches don't want a playoff. A playoff would produce 1 winner and the rest losers, losers without job security that bowl wins provide.

Brey's basketball team is like a college football team that goes 8-4, 9-3, or even 10-2 every year, but struggles in bowl games.

I just wish his teams performed better come tourney time... I'm not suggesting winning it all as a realistic benchmark here (although it'd be nice) but rather being able to pull off some wins and giving the team a chance at something more than a one trip turnaround. That and recruiting. But so far throughout Brey's tenure, me no likey... But hey, it's our year, right? Perhaps he'll change this ludicrous opinion of mine? :grin:

Guest athlete37

No, the biggest difference between Brey and Coach K is one coaches at ND and one coaches at Duke. Check what ND did before Brey then bash him. If you would've told people ten years ago that ND would go to the tournament 6 times in the next decade people would've signed up for that in a heart beat.

Guest athlete37

In fact, in those previous eleven years, we only went to the NIT even twice...Sorry, Mike Brey has been good for the program. It's like being successful with Stanford football.

I don't accept the whole argument of comparing ND's putrid past, then coming to the conclusion that making it to the tourney and then losing in the first round, is acceptable. Sorry. I like to compare this program to the other current programs. You know, the programs like WSU with less talent that we lose to in the first round? Not competing for championships is still not competing for championships... (and all I ask for is that ND makes a run in March and competes)

Jack Swarbrick agrees with this sentiment, even if you don't. Glad he doesn't share your belief on the standard of success.

**way off track as this should be about the Georgetown win--a great effort by Brey and the team! :grin:

This team is VERY different from past teams. We have always been soft in the middle on defense. Even Gody was a liability because he was short and didn't have great leaping ability. This team is long, lean and athletic. Brey has always been a good offensive coach, but never had this kind of talent on defense. When did we ever dominate the boards??? Teams have very little success taking it to the hole against us. I love watching this team and I think this year we get the really high seed. If we beat Syracuse on Saturday I will be looking for a number one or two seed.

This team is VERY different from past teams. We have always been soft in the middle on defense. Even Gody was a liability because he was short and didn't have great leaping ability. This team is long, lean and athletic. Brey has always been a good offensive coach, but never had this kind of talent on defense. When did we ever dominate the boards??? Teams have very little success taking it to the hole against us. I love watching this team and I think this year we get the really high seed. If we beat Syracuse on Saturday I will be looking for a number one or two seed.

Whoa whoa whoa....I love the optimism, but we have a very long Big East sched to navigate before we can start talking about the tourney at all, let alone a #1 seed. The boys look good so far though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_men%27s_basketball

We didn't go to the tournament the 11 years before Brey arrived... Brey's first year we were in the tournament and have been three of the last four seasons...

It takes a lot to even be able to hang in the Big East. Let's not under value that he did this navigating through the Big East.

Next feather in his cap is to make a march run...as DJ points out.

• Join Domer Domain

Members receive fewer ads and can participate in the forums.

• Topics

• The players are getting paid because there is a market that wants to see success on the field.  Because that market watches, advertisers pay a lot of money to be seen while that market watches.  In return, that advertising money comes back to the school in the form of millions of dollars in various ways.  Paying for better players means even more value for advertisers and more money for Notre Dame to build buildings or fund programs. The average student who goes to Notre Dame doesn’t generate millions of dollars for the school.  If they decide not to go there, someone else will fill the spot so they can have access to the excellent education funded by the football program and its players.  I don’t see why the university would pay students to come (except for the absolute brightest) when supply and demand is in Notre Dame’s favor in a big way.  The alums are part of the market that wants results on the field so their money goes towards those results which in turn increases value for Notre Dame, too.  Paying kids to come doesn’t have much benefit to those alums either… I get what’s being said about working hard to pay for your kid to go to college, but there are just too many folks in the same boat while a big source of revenue for schools is football…the value of the school increases if football thrives.  It’s simple business, unfortunately, and ordinary students are the consumer.  Nobody pays consumers if they want to stay in business.
    • OK, fine, I'm getting excited.   We've been winning a lot of these. My take:  Golden commit forces Zackery hand?  Takes the last ND DB spot? It's nothing but expeditious!  Was always the answer.  No other reason to move up his commitment.   I expect he will commit to his dream school for a shot at the Natty!  The synergy is real here.  It's the staff, too, but it's bigger.  Like minded kids.  And they're all conspiring to come together for the title shot, and this staff has them convinced it's in South Bend!  
    • Slight nit, take the government out of guaranteed student loans.  Single handedly has been the biggest cause of soaring tuition and crushing debt for borrowers. Otherwise I'm in between as far as NIL.  It's chaos currently and we are still in Flux with the changes that have happened and stuff that's still to come.  We are far from settled in this shifting landscape of college athletics.
    • Can't wait to see someone try and block a punt and end up with internal hemorrhaging...