Well fellas, we're on to a new month and the spring game is right around the corner. With Charlie stating his liking of playing one back most of the time who do you think is gonna end up being our starter next season? Travis Thomas has the experience, Aldridge is a horse that seems to be getting stronger, and then ya got Armando Allen and Hughes as a few exciting freshmen. I guess you could throw Munir Prince and Golden Tate in there too but I see them at different positions eventually.

I think that everyone is intrigued by Armando's speed and big play ability, but Aldridge was a 5 star guy so we know he can play. I'm thinking its going to be Aldridge at least at first but his hands are going to have to hold up as a receiver or else its gonna be a revolving door IMO. But hopefully with the 'nasty' Oline we're trying to build we can give the ball to just about anyone and just torture teams on the ground.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, it would be a MAJOR, MAJOR mistake to only stick with one back. When you've got the RB talent that we do, you use those guys...assuming they're ready. I see no reason why TT, JA, and AA don't all see a lot of minutes. AA and MP are both very versatile, and it should be interesting to see some screens and wheel routes go their way. As for Tate, I think we'll see him at RB on ocassion, but I expect him to play mainly WR.

Here's how I would like to see the carries breakdown:

TT- 40

JA- 30

AA- 20

Others- 10

Idc how many Super Bowl rings you've earned, if you've got a lot of speed and talent at RB, and you're only using one guy, then you need to have your head examined.

Guest SirJohn

DO YOU SEE WHAT IS TERMND AN "explosive back" I mean of course, some one to turn crap into Gravy?????? Your analsis on this for me. :)

Ohio St used 3 backs pretty well last year...

Pittman- All around back (242 carries)

C. Wells- Power back (104 carries)

M. Wells- Speed back (46 carries)

Similarly....

Thomas- All around back

Aldridge- Power back

Allen- Speed back

I give it to Sweatervest, he knows how to share the rock, hopefully Charlie will learn to do the same next year with the guys we have.

Ohio St used 3 backs pretty well last year...

Pittman- All around back (242 carries)

C. Wells- Power back (104 carries)

M. Wells- Speed back (46 carries)

Similarly....

Thomas- All around back

Aldridge- Power back

Allen- Speed back

I give it to Sweatervest, he knows how to share the rock, hopefully Charlie will learn to do the same next year with the guys we have.

TT is not frequent down back IMHO. I mean, I like the guy a lot, but he doesn't strike me as the Terrence Howard type of back. That guy was way underrated in my opinion. I expect a new guy stepping in for the big minutes. Aldridge could be good, but he lacks the speed of Hughes and might still be a step behind from that leg injury. Prince was a dud this year. He definitely did something to piss off the coaches, or at least severely discourage him. Very few touches for a speedster that CW had high accolades for early in the season. AA could seize the opportunity guys.

I see what you're saying DomeandDomer, but IMO Prince just wasn't ready. I really think Charlie got awed by the speed factor and played the kid before he was ready. I think Prince could be good, but he isn't an everydown guy. Put him in favorable matchups and let him fly. As for Allen, I'm thrilled we got him but he is coming off a horrible leg injury and hopefully he is good to go by the fall if not sooner. This is 2 straight years now that our top freshman back has enrolled coming off a knee injury. Although we saw flashes with JA, it was clear he wasn't 100%. A whole season of rehab and strength will do him wonders I think. As for AA, take it slow and make sure he is ready. I'm more than content with TT, JA, and Hughes carrying the load until he's good to go.

IMO...lets run the ball down our opponents throats! With James Alridge, Munir Prince, Luke Schmidt (how's he looking?), Travis Thomas, Armando Allen and Robert Hughes, we should just continue to pound the defense...and eventually wear them down?. Isn't Ashley McConnell returning? I also feel that by incorporating possible options with Golden Tate and our core of tight ends...we should be highly physical. After a quarter or two of wearing down the defnse...our passing game should prosper.

From the start I had felt that Robert was in the mold of James and could be very punishing. I still remember that particuliar series in the Sugar Bowl...a very good LSU defense had their hands on their hips...sucking air from trying to contain Darius. Why we did not continue that game plan, I do not know. But I hope we do more of the same...each and every game.

dreamer, i believe mcconell decided not to return for a fifth year

Sorry to hear that. But thanks for the update. Hopefully we get at least two additional backs in the upcoming class...one to punish the defensive front, one to break the defensive backfield.

Gi Irish - thanks for bringing up Schwapp. I have been thinking this guy was a critical loss last year - can pick up tough yards and is a hammer lead blocker.

Ditto! Like you 'D Fense'...I too have been thinking on him. I just forgot to mention him earlier. This only solidifies my thoughts on our running game. With a more explosive, agressive running attack come an opened up passing game for sure. Nasty shouldn't be restricted to the defense only...

Guest iRiShMaN

i think we will see a lot of hughes and allen with some TT. Aldridge still is lagging with his knee. i hope he gets better, but i am excited about hughes

Guest heismancaliber
Irishman, love your Avatar by the way. is there word on the street that Aldredge's knee still questionable?????

If it is that just makes the Robert Hughes signing even THAT more important

Aldridge's knee is fine! Rumor has it that his leg strength has improved from last year. His upper body strength has improved and he has been working on his receiving for a while now. I believe DW was given the load last year to improve his draft standings. Just my opinion.