Crazy couple of days....Saban out, Carroll out, Belichick out.

Talk about the end of an era.... Saban is arguably the best coach in the history of the sport (pre portal and NIL), Carroll was one of the greats (especially at SC) and Belichick (the only guy even in the discussion of who is better than Saban). 

16 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

Crazy couple of days....Saban out, Carroll out, Belichick out.

Talk about the end of an era.... Saban is arguably the best coach in the history of the sport (pre portal and NIL), Carroll was one of the greats (especially at SC) and Belichick (the only guy even in the discussion of who is better than Saban). 

Saw this tidbit: Saban succeeded Pete Carroll as the Ohio State secondary coach in 1980. 

25 minutes ago, Island Domer 23 said:

Belichick never made it to a championship game without Brady. His best ever status has a huge Brady asterisk. 

That is a bit unfair. Brady owes his career to Belichick as much as Belichick owes his to Brady. That would be like putting an asterisk next to every coach that had a great / HoF QB (Dungy, Walsh, Reid, Tomlin, Johnson etc.) or only considering coaches great when they won without a great / HoF QB.

Simple truth, Brady would not have been Brady if he was not drafted by the Patriots and was not able to play in Belichick's system and Belichick likely wouldn't have half a dozed rings if he hadn't drafted Brady and/or if he didn't run the team the way he did. 

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

That is a bit unfair. Brady owes his career to Belichick as much as Belichick owes his to Brady. That would be like putting an asterisk next to every coach that had a great / HoF QB (Dungy, Walsh, Reid, Tomlin, Johnson etc.) or only considering coaches great when they won without a great / HoF QB.

Simple truth, Brady would not have been Brady if he was not drafted by the Patriots and was not able to play in Belichick's system and Belichick likely wouldn't have half a dozed rings if he hadn't drafted Brady and/or if he didn't run the team the way he did. 

I'm not so sure I agree with this assessment. Look at what happened when they parted ways. Tom Brady won another Super Bowl. Belichick has just…well look at his record and consider the fact that he is no longer coaching NE. On the surface it seems Belichick needed Brady more than Brady needed Belichick.

I really wonder where Rees will end up.  SI had Rees as one of the top three to replace Saban, with DeBoer and Norvell the other two.  Personally, I don't see that happening.   Can't see 'Bama taking a guy with no head coaching experience.  

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/12/sources-alabama-football-focusing-three-candidates-replace-nick-saban-kalen-deboer

I could see a team like Washington taking Rees.  I do believe he will be a head coach at a P5 school in either 2024 or 2025. 

Given how high everyone was on Rees by year's end, I wonder if DeBoer might make an effort to keep him. Personally, I don't care where he ends up as long as he is not calling plays at ND next year 🙂

Edit: Did LSU replace Denbrock?

Edited by IrishGuy
  • Leprechaun 1

23 hours ago, jimbo said:

I'm not so sure I agree with this assessment. Look at what happened when they parted ways. Tom Brady won another Super Bowl. Belichick has just…well look at his record and consider the fact that he is no longer coaching NE. On the surface it seems Belichick needed Brady more than Brady needed Belichick.

But he never even sniffed a great team again. Brady turned around and won one and almost another.  His legacy is he won with Brady and couldn’t without him. Brady’s legacy is he didn’t particularly need Brian. Sure it was a perfect string of events, but the seasons are there and they’ve never even been good since he left. 

53 minutes ago, Island Domer 23 said:

But he never even sniffed a great team again. Brady turned around and won one and almost another.  His legacy is he won with Brady and couldn’t without him. Brady’s legacy is he didn’t particularly need Brian. Sure it was a perfect string of events, but the seasons are there and they’ve never even been good since he left. 

It would be one thing if Belichick switched teams after Brady left to a team poised to win big. Sort of like Gruden walking into Tampa Bay after Tony Dungy. But it is a little easier for a QB to switch teams and win a SB (See Manning and the Broncos) compared to a coach keeping a dynasty going given the handicaps the NFL has in place to promote parity (salary cap, draft, Div champs playing other Div champs the next year). 

Note that Belichick did have a pretty good record when Brady was the Patriots first string QB but did not play (13-6 - ACL injury and InflateGate suspension) .

Edited by jbrown_9999

3 hours ago, Island Domer 23 said:

not really that hard considering he walked onto a loaded TB team that was only missing a QB.

1 hour ago, lazard said:

not really that hard considering he walked onto a loaded TB team that was only missing a QB.

It’s exactly why he went to Tampa Bay. Could’ve gone many other places, but Tampa Bay just needed a great QB. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 11:44 AM, AnTostal said:

It’s exactly why he went to Tampa Bay. Could’ve gone many other places, but Tampa Bay just needed a great QB. 

Any team in football would have taken him. He could have gone anywhere. He stayed, he lost and was a failure his final years. Where was that Patriot work ethic and preparation model once Brady left? We assume he was just incredibly loyal to NE? He never rebuilt. He chose to lose Brady and he never won again.  Say what you want about Tom leaving for greener pastures, but Bill put him out there. He was convinced he could reload and rebuild it all over again. He clearly could not.