Gerard Parker to be named Troy HC

15 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Might not be about money for Parker since Troy was paying their old coach $1M 

https://www.wsfa.com/2023/10/04/sumrall-highest-paid-coach-troys-history/

Based on market rates, Parker should have been making more than that as the Irish OC.

Its not its Parker seeing the pressure and opting for 3 years gauraunteed. Instead of 1 year of intense scrutiny.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

These guys are talking like Mike Denbrock is the Dream hire. He just extended with LSU so Admin would need to pay BIG

I’m sure he’s up there, and while he might be a big hire, what about Brennan Carroll from Arizona?

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

What are the chances that ND's next OC just happens to already be on staff?

I think slim.

One nice thing about Marcus is that he has lists for every position coach to target if someone leaves. In today's world its 100% needed and a fantastic move. Especially after last year, ND can vet a few coaches ahead of time so the process is started already. ND football seems to be slowly getting streamlined in football operations and the university admin. 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

The other thing to remember is MF is doign this search MUCH earlier where there are more candidates than last year, which was mid Feb. 

And hopefully the Admin, outside of the usual vetting process, doesn't f* up this coach search again.  Keep JS mitts away!

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, Big23Head said:

I don't think Parker was forced out. He isn't a top level target for P5 so Troy makes sense. He also has prior coaching/playing connections with Troy. Good for him and good luck. 

Sounds like Denbrock may be a target.

Agree Big. He has a long-standing relationship with Freeman and Freeman would not tell him "I'll keep you this year but look for another opportunity". Every coach aspires to be a HC.  Parker has coached at several Power 5 schools and getting the OC job at ND helped him get to the next level opportunity to a HC job and to get the interview for Troy. Troy is a great first HC job for him. It is a solid team with a good foundation built by the previous head coach who stepped up to Tulane and was a college teammate of Parker. I think he will do well there.

Edited by Jersey Irish
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I wish I had enough money to sponsor the head coach position so I could tell them they don't have to put my name on there because it sounds absolutely ridiculous lol

Good look to Gerad.  

Dude, I mean seriously!

The things I would do with that money…would probably be irresponsible! 😂 And yes, it is a bit much. I’m sure they love it though! 🤣

Good luck to G Parker, hope he does well. I was reconciled to him being OC for the coming season. I thought if any assistants would leave, it would be Deland or Al Golden or maybe Mickens. Still is possible. I don't see Golden leaving for another college job, it's ND or NFL for him.

It'll be an interesting few weeks: Christmas, New Years, early signing period, transfer portal, Bowl Game, New OC and who knows what else is coming our way!

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Baldy said:

Dude, I mean seriously!

The things I would do with that money…would probably be irresponsible! 😂 And yes, it is a bit much. I’m sure they love it though! 🤣

Should we start using Coach Dick Freeman or Dick Coach Freeman to shorten that title?  Or if he's doing really bad Dick Head Freeman...

Edited by jessemoore97
  • Laughing Leprechaun 2