NFL Draft Declarations

Figured we could start a thread just for the players leaving ND for the NFL. Looks like Fisher is the first to officially announce (and opt-out of the Sun Bowl). Would expect some other NFL declarations in the next few days. Ones to watch that could go either way: Mills, Watts, Kiser.

• Heart 2

I was thinking about the Hartman situation last night, and though I do support him sitting out and I am not even slightly mad about it, I do have to wonder if he is getting bad advice from people around him and/or is being told he is a mid round pick....

In my opinion, he did not improve his position in the draft this year (maybe even hurt it) and "at best" is looking at a very late round pick (even if he blows up at the combine and his pro day). More than likely, I see him going the UDFA route. Having said that, the bowl game could be his last chance to play meaningful football in his life. Why would you sit when no matter what happens between now and the draft, he is probably done playing organized football on TV??

Maybe I am wrong and he is the next Purdy.....

• Flames 1

24 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

I was thinking about the Hartman situation last night, and though I do support him sitting out and I am not even slightly mad about it, I do have to wonder if he is getting bad advice from people around him and/or is being told he is a mid round pick....

In my opinion, he did not improve his position in the draft this year (maybe even hurt it) and "at best" is looking at a very late round pick (even if he blows up at the combine and his pro day). More than likely, I see him going the UDFA route. Having said that, the bowl game could be his last chance to play meaningful football in his life. Why would you sit when no matter what happens between now and the draft, he is probably done playing organized football on TV??

Might be different if his two OT were playing along with his starting WRs and RB (not sure if Estime is sitting out or not).  But at this point, not sure that the bowl game will give him meaningful 'tape' for the NFL scouts.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Might be different if his two OT were playing along with his starting WRs and RB (not sure if Estime is sitting out or not).  But at this point, not sure that the bowl game will give him meaningful 'tape' for the NFL scouts.

Totally agree with this. He has played 60 games, including all 12 regular season games this season. He has plenty of tape. For better or for worse, scouts have a good idea of what he can and cannot do. I don't think one more game would move the needle, although I was hoping he would suit up one more time to get ND to 10 wins.

He's probably a 6th or 7th round pick at best, maybe more likely a UDFA. He'll need to have a great combine and pro day, so his focus should go there.

Part of me also wonders if he is sitting out to give Angeli a shot. Those two seem very close, so I could see Hartman sitting out to give Angeli the start to get some more tape and potentially transfer to another P5 team.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, IrishGuy said:

Let me turn it around. 

Is there any chance this game, with who is and isnt playing from BOTH teams, helps his draft status?

1 hour ago, IrishGuy said:

Again, I am not talking about his draft status. The question I had is related to the fact he is choosing to skip what might be has last game....ever.

His draft status is not changing one way or the other by playing (or not).

I see what you’re saying, but I doubt this is his last game.

If it doesn’t work out for him in the NFL, I could see him going the CFL route, or even USFL or XFL.

That’s just what I think though.

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

I see what you’re saying, but I doubt this is his last game.

If it doesn’t work out for him in the NFL, I could see him going the CFL route, or even USFL or XFL.

That’s just what I think though.

That's true. I forgot about those leagues. I was just hung up on the NFL part. I am not mad at the guy (hard to be with hair that awesome) I was just thinking out loud 🙂

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

2 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

That's true. I forgot about those leagues. I was just hung up on the NFL part. I am not mad at the guy (hard to be with hair that awesome) I was just thinking out loud 🙂

Hey, I totally get it, because the NFL is the ultimate goal, right?

And he does have pretty great hair. I’m jealous of his beard too and wish mine grew as lush and thick as his does! 😂