Marcus Freeman's coaching hires

I know we all focus a lot on players (recruits and portal) but having quality coaching is just as important as ability of players. With Denbrock likely here for at least a few years and the rumors of Golden being extended.....this might actually be the start of something very special the likes of which many of you have not seen at ND (some of us old farts have.....)

• Heart 2
  • Trophy 1
  • Leprechaun 1

Players gotta play. Coaches gotta coach. And, you need an administration that really wants it.

Third OC in three years. New athletic director. New President. 

Hopefully this will be the correct mix, and hopefully they can make it all happen before the end of August!

• Leprechaun 1

4 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

I know we all focus a lot on players (recruits and portal) but having quality coaching is just as important as ability of players. With Denbrock likely here for at least a few years and the rumors of Golden being extended.....this might actually be the start of something very special the likes of which many of you have not seen at ND (some of us old farts have.....)

I also give Gerad Parker ALOT of credit for being willing to clean up that mess. Likely caused by not properly finding out what Ludwig's buyout was. I know fans are disappointed but a 9-3 season after all that off-season mess caused by Saban missing out on his top  assistant coaching targets is NOT the worst outcome on earth. Parker deserves the opportunity he got at TROY for keeping us upright. Freeman deserves this because he did the right thing. Stuck by the admin, AND PARKER was a solution based thinker and still found a way to give the irish a shot at a 10 win season. 

• Cheers 2

I haven't been this happy about the state of ND football in a while.  Still need to produce results on the field but all I have been wanting is for those in control at ND to go after it like it's a priority. Win a championship at ND and you will be legends and celebrated for a very long time.  

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

I also give Gerad Parker ALOT of credit for being willing to clean up that mess. Likely caused by not properly finding out what Ludwig's buyout was. I know fans are disappointed but a 9-3 season after all that off-season mess caused by Saban missing out on his top  assistant coaching targets is NOT the worst outcome on earth. Parker deserves the opportunity he got at TROY for keeping us upright. Freeman deserves this because he did the right thing. Stuck by the admin, AND PARKER was a solution based thinker and still found a way to give the irish a shot at a 10 win season. 

Completely agree with all of this, so well said Faith!

1 hour ago, 4thand1 said:

I haven't been this happy about the state of ND football in a while.  Still need to produce results on the field but all I have been wanting is for those in control at ND to go after it like it's a priority. Win a championship at ND and you will be legends and celebrated for a very long time.  

💯 

• Heart 1

I hope ND can extend Golden.  I would put a big buyout clause in the contract if he were to accept a coordinator or positional coach offer for either the NFL or college. Applicable as long as Freeman is still the coach.  I would either have no buyout or a very minimal one if he gets a HC job anywhwere.  Also, I would compensate him in the top 2% of college DCs.  Seems fair to me.  I just need to know that ND is where he wants to be long term.  If you are looking, we are moving on.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

I hope ND can extend Golden.  I would put a big buyout clause in the contract if he were to accept a coordinator or positional coach offer for either the NFL or college. Applicable as long as Freeman is still the coach.  I would either have no buyout or a very minimal one if he gets a HC job anywhwere.  Also, I would compensate him in the top 2% of college DCs.  Seems fair to me.  I just need to know that ND is where he wants to be long term.  If you are looking, we are moving on.

Out of curiosity the top 2% of college DCs is how many people?

• Laughing Leprechaun 1

On 12/23/2023 at 7:58 AM, IrishGuy said:

Jimmys and Joes - Xs and Os. CMF is checking all the boxes. Echoes of Lou and Ara.

• Leprechaun 1

I want him to put the whole waiting for an NFL opportunity to come his way, to rest.  For doing that, I would reward him handsomely.  It would seem that ND will be entering a championship contending window and HC/coordinator stability will help tremendously.  Forgot to mention that I would either have a conversation or have a recruiting clause in the contract. Probably I would handle it informally.  Golden has to be willing to put the time in on the recruiting trail.  I would ask Golden and Denbrock to be the recruiting lead for the essential recruits once they are identified.  Wouldn't ask them to spend time on the trail with 3 stars or low 4s.  Focus on showing the love to the clear needle moving recruits. Of course they would be involved with the lower level recruits when they visit ND. I am talking about in school or home visits.

At this point, I am guessing that Denbrock has figured out what he wants to do with the rest of his coaching career. If he was not already there, he is now set for life financially (assuming his ND contract is at least $8M guaranteed over the next 4 years). If he wanted to be a head coach, he could have easily found an opportunity. Likewise, if he wanted to jump to NFL, he could have gone that direction rather than take the ND OC job.  As a result, he should be focused on being successful at ND. 

I also get the vibe that Golden might be OK with being the Irish DC for awhile. There is something to be said about finding your niche and staying there. Especially if you can make seven figures doing it.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

At this point, I am guessing that Denbrock has figured out what he wants to do with the rest of his coaching career. If he was not already there, he is now set for life financially (assuming his ND contract is at least $8M guaranteed over the next 4 years). If he wanted to be a head coach, he could have easily found an opportunity. Likewise, if he wanted to jump to NFL, he could have gone that direction rather than take the ND OC job.  As a result, he should be focused on being successful at ND. 

I also get the vibe that Golden might be OK with being the Irish DC for awhile. There is something to be said about finding your niche and staying there. Especially if you can make seven figures doing it.

Agreed. Those guys, are perfect for coordinators. Initial recruiting takes alot of energy. Freeman and Chad Bowden(recruiting office) are perfect for that. X's and O's at ND are perfect for guys with experience  like Denbrock and Golden. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jbrown_9999 said:

This right here, and which I feel will happen!

The reason is I remember Golden saying he came to Notre Dame because of Freeman’s character, morals, values, and goals at Notre Dame.

With that being said, I do believe Golden will be the Defensive Coordinator for a while. Let’s hope for at least as long as Venables was at Clemson! 🤞🏼