Incoming Player Transfers (2023-24)

39 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

I highly doubt both Minchey and Angeli leave. One for sure will, but not both. They are one play away from becoming the starter, especially with Leonard's style of play as a dual threat QB - he has some huge injury risk.

I don't really understand the hate on Leonard (not referring to your post, exclusively, but a lot of other fans' reactions). He was a two-year starter at Duke, a captain as a junior, and played really well as a sophomore - well enough that Mel Kiper projected him as a first-round NFL draft pick before the 2023 season. His season this year went sideways because of the injuries, but this is a solid pick up. He has great athleticism, solid arm strength, and has great intangibles, it sounds like. I wouldn't put him to the level we thought Hartman would be when we got him last year, but he is definitely one of the better QBs in the portal this cycle. 

I'm sure Angeli is gone.  Minchey hopefully stays since he would've likely been QB2 next season regardless.  However, and this is pure speculation on my part, but I can see a scenario where Minchey also leaves because he knows next season would have been a true competition between two non starters and the best man will win.  With Leonard coming in, its likely no longer a competition.  He knows he is destined to QB2.  Again, this is fiction from my own messed up mind lol.  I hope I am wrong. 

Oh, and if that comment is directed partly towards me, I get he is a good kid and a decent QB, I just don't see anything special about him.  

2 hours ago, Irish-scoop said:

Given that we are all armchair coaches ...and it seems no one is high on the fella from Duke... ill put my hat in ... that if we do land him...25 bucks says he kills it 

Sometimes what you don't want ...turns out what you need 

Idk

I'll take that bet. Of course, I will forget so I need you to keep me honest 🙂

Sad that Angeli and Minchey can’t win the job…. If our coaches have to go to the portal this often, something is wrong with our recruits at qb.  Maybe Carr can show up and finally give us a baller at the position.

Does Leonard have two years left?

Edited by irishwavend

18 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

Sad that Angeli and Minchey can’t win the job…. If our coaches have to go to the portal this often, something is wrong with our recruits at qb.  Maybe Carr can show up and finally give us a baller at the position.

ESPN shows he is a Junior this season, not sure if redshirt or true though.

21 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

If all of the recruited QBs can't develop into starters, the problem probably isn't with the recruits...

17 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

If nothing changes in '25 we'll have Deuce coming in, and Carr still has 3-4 years of eligibility.  Someone will be unhappy and leave more than likely.  No one who's highly ranked waits their turn anymore, maybe a year they'll wait, but beyond that if they aren't the starter they move on.

This transfer stuff is going to be a ruthless cycle that will keep perpetuating itself, moreso at QB than any other position.  You won't see Carroll's day at USC where you had 3-4 classes with 5* QBs waiting their turn to start.

You're right, the staff has to get better at identifying QBs and what they want them to do in their offense.  Then they absolutely have to get better at developing those players.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I see him playing 6 games in 2021 so he must be a true Junior.  Not sure if he has a covid year or not?

Covid year only counted if you were enrolled in the 2020 season.  He only has a year left since he played more than 4 games each year in college.

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

Yes, as @jessemoore97 said above, this is the only year for Leonard. 

Here is a realistic scenario for the QB depth chart, as I think/hope Leonard will be the last transfer QB after ND taking one in 3 of the last 4 years:

2024: Leonard, Minchey, Carr (Angeli transfers at some point, I think)

2025: Minchey and Carr compete for QB1, Knight

2026: Carr/Minchey (whoever lost the battle in 2025 transfers), Knight, 2026 QB recruit

I can see ND bringing in a grad transfer in 2025 if the loser of the QB competition transfers right away, but I would guess the competition would start in spring and go all the way through preseason camp. 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2

14 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

Yes, as @jessemoore97 said above, this is the only year for Leonard. 

Here is a realistic scenario for the QB depth chart, as I think/hope Leonard will be the last transfer QB after ND taking one in 3 of the last 4 years:

2026: Carr/Minchey (whoever lost the battle in 2025 transfers), Knight, 2026 QB recruit

I can see ND bringing in a grad transfer in 2025 if the loser of the QB competition transfers right away, but I would guess the competition would start in spring and go all the way through preseason camp. 

I see it playing out just like you mentioned above with the only difference being that I personally think Minchey is the one who transfers, not Angeli.

2 hours ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I see it playing out just like you mentioned above with the only difference being that I personally think Minchey is the one who transfers, not Angeli.

Agreed, and that’s exactly who I see transferring too!

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Not from the transfer portal.  He is a high school recruit.

yes sorry, meant to quote tneun89's post

Yes, as @jessemoore97 said above, this is the only year for Leonard. 

• Cheers 2

I should probably wait to post anything till more news comes out but I am just too frustrated.

I would be interested in determining if the # of players ND is losing in the portal is a normal amount or excessive.

When things like this happen, it falls back on do I trust the staff.  If I did, I would give them the benefit of the doubt.  From what I have seen, read and heard I don't trust the staff.  I am tired of Freeman and the staff learning on the job while things fall apart.  I am tired of continuously being told to give it another year over and over again.  

At the very least it would seem that Freeman had no feel for the state of the WR room.  There has to be some oversight and monitoring in place to avoid terrible surprises and death spirals.

So Freeman declared he wants 4 scholarship QBs on the roster.  He also seems to have a philosophy of chasing the best kids possible (can't blame him for that).  So he's probably never going to just get a "depth" player.  The kids on the roster will have to rise up and beat them out.

Dumb question- how can this QB thing be a done deal when the portal opens?  Are they working through intermediaries?  Or are players on other rosters allowed to call opposing coaches if they want?

• Heart 1