Jimbo out at A&M?

I've seen a bunch of articles saying Jimbo is getting canned this morning.  Humongous payout of around $75+ million for a guaranteed contract that was supposed to go until 2031 I think.  From what little I've read the buyout will be coming from private sources allegedly.

This is just insane.  I mean we thought Kevin White was nuts for extending Weis's contract after one year was bad, but this type of guaranteed money is obscene.  Good for Jimbo I guess, I'd love to fall into that type of money for being bad at my job lol.  I expect Elko will be a candidate near the top of their list.  Or do they swing for the fences again trying to lure another NC coach there.  There aren't that many still coaching:  Saban, Smart, Mack Brown, Dabo, Chezik (coordinator for Mack at NC).  Maybe grab Les Miles or Ed Orgeron lol, Stoops or Urban from retirement?

Edited by jessemoore97
  • Cheers 1

I also would bet Mike Elko is the favorite to land there right now. He is the #1 coach that keeps getting listed in terms of mid-tier program coaches making a jump to a top-tier program.

Also remember, Texas A&M is ND's first game of the year next year... at A&M.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1

21 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I also would bet Mike Elko is the favorite to land there right now. He is the #1 coach that keeps getting listed in terms of mid-tier program coaches making a jump to a top-tier program.

Also remember, Texas A&M is ND's first game of the year next year... at A&M.

If Elko was their choice I wonder if Riley follows him to play QB?

So glad to see this blow up in A&M’s face, same as Michigan St. Seems pretty clear the $$$ are not an issue with them. Paying someone $75 mil just to go away, unbelievable. 

I read it will cost them more as many of the assistant coaches have buyouts also. Also, the new HC will probably have a buyout of his own to take care of.

Along with Elko, I’ve seen the names Dan Lanning and Lane Kiffin mentioned. 

Do you think A&M will be throwing stupid money around again?

A&M got what it deserved by paying  an underachieving coach so much,  but then again its endowment dwarfs any other university's endowment and their boosters just ooze Texas oil cash.

Best hire for then would be Lance Leopold from Kansas. He builds programs and has won big wherever he has coached. He would be a home run hire. Michigan State is hot on his trail

Edited by Jersey Irish

Silly, but I wonder if they'll be looking at one Marcus Freeman.  He now actually has head-coaching experience and has been successful (depending on how you measure that).  He can recruit.  Even in Texas.  And we've seen ND let a coach go with a buyout.  

Don't get too giddy about what's happened at A&M until they've hired an entire staff. 

Texas A&M AD fired Jimbo Fisher because program 'stuck in neutral'
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38886070/texas-ad-fired-jimbo-fisher-program-stuck-neutral

Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork on Sunday night said it was his decision to fire football coach Jimbo Fisher earlier in the day, saying that the program was "stuck in neutral."

Bjork said he called interim Texas A&M president Gen. Mark Welsh after the Aggies' loss to Ole Miss on Nov. 4 and asked to meet.

"The assessment that I delivered was that we are not reaching our full potential," Bjork said at a news conference. "We are not in the championship conversation and something was not quite right about our direction and the plan.

"We should be relevant on the national scene."

2 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

TAMU was clearly not thinking straight. If I was AD there, I would have spent 20M setting him up to do something that would allow me to fire him for cause and save 50+ million.

I guess if you have the boosters who are going to pay the buyout, who cares, it ain't coming from my budget lol.

ND's first game in 2024 is at Texas A&M.  Their 2022 recruiting class was ridiculous.  OMG.  A monster recruiting class.  They'll be juniors next year.  Whoever the coach will be will inherit a very talented roster.

2022 A&M commits/247sports

2022 Notre Dame commits/247 sports

ND had a very good recruiting year that year, too, but A&M had 8 players rated 98 or higher, and 15 rated 96 or higher.  ND had 3 rated 96 or higher that year, for comparison.

Even more glaring:  ND has a total of 16 players rated 96 or higher since 2014. 2014!!

Edited by AnTostal

2 hours ago, AnTostal said:

ND's first game in 2024 is at Texas A&M.  Their 2022 recruiting class was ridiculous.  OMG.  A monster recruiting class.  They'll be juniors next year.  Whoever the coach will be will inherit a very talented roster.

2022 A&M commits/247sports

2022 Notre Dame commits/247 sports

ND had a very good recruiting year that year, too, but A&M had 8 players rated 98 or higher, and 15 rated 96 or higher.  ND had 3 rated 96 or higher that year, for comparison.

Even more glaring:  ND has a total of 16 players rated 96 or higher since 2014. 2014!!

This is assuming no transfer portal at A&M

• Heart 1