Gerad Parker potential dismissal?

16 hours ago, jimbo said:

Yes, at least I can say that wasn’t me, I thought Al Golden was pretty good last year and obviously better this year.

But it would be a shame to waste Golden’s D with more of the same on offense next season. I think the offense was in better hands with Tommy Rees. 

How about Sean Lewis for OC? It seems he’s on the outs with Deion. Wasn’t ND looking at him for OC last year?

I would definitely consider Sean Lewis - he has to be looking at his options after being demoted by Deion (for no reason).

But, the word from last offseason was that Freeman's desired offensive style did not mesh with Lewis', so it never went any further. I really hope Freeman reconsiders because his offensive style ain't working.

• Flames 1

So MF is the problem when he openly admitted to wanting an offense that can run the ball as good as anyone in the county? ....and has admitted to being behind the curve on offense so he leaves that to the coordinators?

....ok.

The problem with Parker is Parker. He can't bring himself to stick to things that are working. Rather than sticking to a run game (see Clemson and tO$U) he feels the need to adjust (maybe seeking balance) and ends up with an offense where nothing works. Parker also calls plays like he is playing Madden. Forget trying to move the ball, get a first, or kill the clock.....he is going to find a way to call an boneheaded play to kill a drive (or give the ball back to the opponent).

The issue I see with Parker is that because of MF's lack of input, Parker has TOO MUCH freedom to do whatever stupid thing he wants. If MF had a little more experience (or if ND had an offensive consultant), he'd tighten the reigns.

I turned on the scUM game last week and scUM was in a stretch where they had run the ball 15 straight times because PSU couldn't stop it. That would NEVER happen at ND. Parker would start calling flea flickers and going empty....

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

For you guys reaady to move on from Parker. Root for a transfer QB.

Why you ask? The QB will need to learn the system anyway so a new OC would not effect him.

So, forget about Angeli and Minchey and go all in one 1 and done QBs.....makes sense.

7 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

So, forget about Angeli and Minchey and go all in one 1 and done QBs.....makes sense.

if you go the Angeli Minchey route to be fair to them you almost need to keep parker. You can't expect a young qb to learn 3 systems in 3 years. But these transfers know they need to learn a new system.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, 4thand1 said:

I look at it this way.  If ND were to fire Parker, which top 25 team would hire him?  The answer is likely it wouldn't happen.  If that's the case, why would he be retained?  

Yeah, I think you’re on to something there. It seems to me that the problem with the O is more on Parker than on MF. 

I don’t think MF will be constrained from making a move to improve the team because he and Parker are friends. MF has to be frustrated with the offensive production and I trust he will make whatever moves he deems necessary to correct this. 

• Heart 1

To be fair, I don't think Parker is a lost cause. I just think he wasn't quite ready to take over the OC position at a major program. I could see MF bringing in an offensive consultant to help Parker take the next step.

This offseason is already likely to be a scramble, so MF may not want to add stress to the situation by trying to replace an OC.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

5 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

To be fair, I don't think Parker is a lost cause. I just think he wasn't quite ready to take over the OC position at a major program. I could see MF bringing in an offensive consultant to help Parker take the next step.

This offseason is already likely to be a scramble, so MF may not want to add stress to the situation by trying to replace an OC.

This I can agree with, and am willing to give Parker another season. It took Golden one year to get the defense playing at a high level. Let’s hope Parker can do the same.

And we all know the WR position was the biggest issue with the offense, so maybe that will be a point of emphasis during the offseason? 🤞🏼

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Rocketsan said:

pay two dudes when you could have spent that cash on a bona fide OC - awesome...
Adam Sandler Reaction GIF

I did not say it was the right choice or the route I would take.....but I ain't writing the check so I don't really care as long as it works.

....also, plus 5 cool points for the Sandler gif 🙂

• Flames 1

Parker wasn't going to be considered for the OC till at least 2 other candidates were eliminated from consideration.  I don't see anything that happened with the offense this season that would cause Freeman to think Parker is the guy for the job. If Coach Freeman wants to put his job on the line by retaining Parker, that's on him and he will have to deal with the consequences if it doesn't work out.  

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

That's all well and good, but, those stats are a bit skewed if you ask me.  Those averages are bolstered by 6 games against shitty teams...Navy, TN St, Central Michigan, USC, Pitt, and Wake.  They're absolutely curb stomping the bad teams but I really would love to see a better showing against the better defensive teams.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

That's all well and good, but, those stats are a bit skewed if you ask me.  Those averages are bolstered by 6 games against shitty teams...Navy, TN St, Central Michigan, USC, Pitt, and Wake.  They're absolutely curb stomping the bad teams but I really would love to see a better showing against the better defensive teams.

You still don't get fired for being a touchdown better than the last guy. Fans are frustrated with the long history of road big game losses. I guess Oklahoma in 2012 was one of the last big road losses.

1 hour ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

You still don't get fired for being a touchdown better than the last guy. Fans are frustrated with the long history of road big game losses. I guess Oklahoma in 2012 was one of the last big road losses.

I never said anything about firing him.  I wanted to see how Parker would do without Freeman's reigns on him.