Postgame - #11 Notre Dame at Duke (Win 21-14)

17 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

-Tight end U! Hello Mitchell Evans. 

-Merriweather is a bust. Where were Colzie and James? 

-We looked gassed on the defensive line. We need to start rotating more guys in. 

Agree with #1

He shouldn’t be playing probably. Guys develop differently everywhere. He’s being thrust into a bigger role because of the wide receiver room. Flores will probably take over soon. 

Always believe in depth on the d-line. Get Hinish more snaps. He did well when he did play. 

As Faith said, we won. I don’t care how. They just did. Man, that was ugly. 

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, ndomer4 said:

-Tight end U! Hello Mitchell Evans. 

-Merriweather is a bust. Where were Colzie and James? 

-We looked gassed on the defensive line. We need to start rotating more guys in. 

Thought I read Colzie was hurt too.  We were really depleted in WR Corp tonight.  Evans had a really big night.  I would've thought Staes would get more snaps and targets too.  I'm guessing they're going to redshirt James, who probably isn't as up to speed on the playback compared to Flores and Greathouse.

Totally agree on the DL and D in general getting gased.  It mystifies me that Onye didn't seem to get much PT the past 2 games, same with Nana who can be productive.  Ford is another who I would get in there.

• Heart 3

Disappointed with the O play calling.  Despite losing 2 of our best receivers, our run calls were very crappy overall.  Between the tackles over and over with little to no success until the game winner.  Which BTW I think Hartman made the call for.  There seemed to be little effort in running counters/misdirection.

• Flames 2

I’ll take the win.

once again sloppy penalties, needs to be cleaned up.

Mitchell Evans is keeping the TE U torch going. Really hurt having Thomas, Colzie and Greathouse all out.

Missed tackles again led to some big plays, but D played well again. Cross was an absolute beast all night. Liufau was great up until the 4th quarter and then had a few big misses. Watts is turning into a stud on the back end.

Need to open up a kicker competition again.

• Heart 3

16 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

I’ll take the win.

once again sloppy penalties, needs to be cleaned up.

Mitchell Evans is keeping the TE U torch going. Really hurt having Thomas, Colzie and Greathouse all out.

Missed tackles again led to some big plays, but D played well again. Cross was an absolute beast all night. Liufau was great up until the 4th quarter and then had a few big misses. Watts is turning into a stud on the back end.

Need to open up a kicker competition again.

Also as much as I hate to complain about it, it’s getting old having to overcome the refs week after week too

• Flames 2
  • Cheers 2

The offensive run play calling was predictable and unimaginative. When your power game is being stuffed, you need to at least try to outflank them with reverses. Chris Tyree is a former running back, yet I don’t recall any play we’re he was utilized to outflank the defensive front. It was all power, power, power, which made it easy for them to defend our run game with the stout defensive front they have. Estime finally broke free on the last drive, but we needed to attack their flanks earlier and never did. 

The Duke Qb was never going to beat us with his arm. We rushed 4 in the first half and he threw a pick and was ineffective.  What does Golden do up 13-0 in the second half? He blitzes a lot, which allows the Qb to make plays with his legs and opens lanes for longer runs and scores. 

How do you have two wide receivers out with hamstring injuries this far into the season? I’ve never seen that at ND. There’s a stretching/preparation issue there. 

Freeman said all of Correll’s issues were due to noise. That’s on Freeman for not simulating the environment.  That was a sloppy display of football overall. 

I had hope for Merriwether this season. I don’t anymore. He has a lot of raw talent, but it’s meaningless if he can’t catch possession receiver type routes. The deep ball was a bit too long, but the other drops, which he keeps doing, are a problem. He’s got three more years of eligibility. Let’s hope he learns how to catch the football reliably. 

The biggest off-season mistake was not bringing in an elite wide receiver through the portal. 

Anything can happen, particularly because it’s a night game in a colder climate, but I’m not optimistic about USC. They stuffed our run game last year. Golden couldn’t contain their Qb. I don’t see two coordinators who can find ways to get it done. I hope I’m wrong. 

• Heart 3
  • Flames 1

The good

This is the best team we have beaten all year…and a win is a win.

Hartman made the plays when he had to….we would usually lose that game.

defense had a good first half…evans was great

bad

offensive line, play calling, missed tackles……thus usual.

downright scary

freeman said right after the game in the on field interview that estime should have gone down short of the goal line so they could kick the field goal to win with no time left.  Wth games is he watching.  You don’t leave it up to our kicker.  Right now, I have 0 confidence in freeman’s coaching ability.  His decision making is confounding.  I am hoping he gets better.  I do like the energy he puts into recruiting….but nervous about everything else.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Ksessoms1 said:

The good

This is the best team we have beaten all year…and a win is a win.

Hartman made the plays when he had to….we would usually lose that game.

defense had a good first half…evans was great

bad

offensive line, play calling, missed tackles……thus usual.

downright scary

freeman said right after the game in the on field interview that estime should have gone down short of the goal line so they could kick the field goal to win with no time left.  Wth games is he watching.  You don’t leave it up to our kicker.  Right now, I have 0 confidence in freeman’s coaching ability.  His decision making is confounding.  I am hoping he gets better.  I do like the energy he puts into recruiting….but nervous about everything else.

Agreed…that’s a really bad take if he wants to rely on the kicker to win the game there. Take the god damn points like Estime did

55 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Yup

Perhaps it's because after getting half-way through writing in the text box, I keep losing the text as the website refreshes. So, I wrote in word and copy and pasted. The text box's here are buggy for me. Perhaps it's because I'm long winded. 😂

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Frankus said:

Perhaps it's because after getting half-way through writing in the text box, I keep losing the text as the website refreshes. So, I wrote in word and copy and pasted. The text box's here are buggy for me. Perhaps it's because I'm long winded. 😂

Problem solver!

• Cheers 1