Interesting Proposition

A buddy and I were chatting... And while the question that was brought up doesn't really help at all.. It did give me some good insights as to how I feel about this team.  The question that was posed to me, if you could add one current NFL Irish to this year's team, who would it be?  And I immediately went to two guys... Kyle Hamilton or Isaiah Foskey.  Which tells me.. I really don't have any concerns at all on the offensive side of the ball. I mean I guess Mayer would be cool, but I don't think he makes the team any better.  The only thing I'm really wanting to see is a game changer on the defensive side of the ball... Someone who can flip a game on its head by making an elite play.  Am I on the right track here?  What would your guys addition be?

• Heart 1

It is an interesting question and you can go a few different ways but for me its down to two guys

1 - Kyle Hamilton.  Pair him with the Elite Corners and this defense is scary.  Elite cover corners can sometimes hide a weak pass rush and even make that pass rush better.

2 - Jaylon Smith (Before Injury) - He was a difference maker but in my opinion wasnt used to his full potential.  The dude would have been a force had he done more blitzing than covering.

• Heart 2

You make a good point that the offensive fire power with Mayer would be insane... And playoff worthy.

Jaylon is a great one.  His athleticism in that level with Marcus' scheme would have been a great pair.  But yeah, DL controls so much of the game.  One guy can wreck a gameplan.

• Flames 1

Honestly, I am fine with DL as it is; while it may not have a star on it, it does seem like it could be very deep with good talent.

I think I will have to go with Kyle Hamilton, I am high on Watts, but not DJ or Henderson. Put Hamilton next to Watts and I think that solidifies the back end (the one hole I believe ND has on defense)

• Heart 2

Gut reaction (subject to change):

1. Kyle - He was a transformational player (good becomes great, great becomes elite). I also feel robbed that he had injuries like he did in his final season. 

2. Mayer - This offense would be close to unstoppable with a guy that got the numbers he did despite being bracketed a lot of the time. He may not have the best pro career of recent ND TEs, but he had the best college career.

3. JOK - The LB group may not need the help (the kids should raise the ceiling if they continue to develop), but (like Kyle) he was a unicorn player. 

• Heart 2

JOK is a solid choice.. I guess because of his injury last year with the Browns I kind of forgot about him... But yeah, I'm on board.. Seems like I just want one game changer on defense really bad.  But the thing about D is that if you have 11 solid pieces, then you're setup to play great team defense and get the results.  To which I think as the year progresses we can see someone like Watts develop into that back end star with more reps and confidence.

• Leprechaun 1

Hamilton or JOK would be my top two probably.  Foskey is close too.  We'll see how the DL does against more traditional offenses.  I'm a firm believer that a strong and disruptive DL makes the back 4-5 shine because the QB is getting pressured and will make more mistakes.

I would love to have JOK shadow Williams in the USC game.  I think he would negate Williams ability to extend plays with his escapability against slow DL.  Jaylon Smith was another great LB who could take that away from dual threat QBs.

• Heart 1

Chase Claypool.

He was a monster in 2019. I think ND's WRs are getting better. But ND still lacks a true #1. Imagine how much better Claypool would make Jayden Thomas, Jaden Greathouse, Chris Tyree, Tobias Merriweather, etc. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Chase Claypool.

He was a monster in 2019. I think ND's WRs are getting better. But ND still lacks a true #1. Imagine how much better Claypool would make Jayden Thomas, Jaden Greathouse, Chris Tyree, Tobias Merriweather, etc. 

That's a great shout. He wrecked teams his final season, and he would be even more effective now. 

Really cheating here. 

S- Harrison Smith  the guys been All-Pro for how many years?

LB- JOK - you don’t turn away a Butkus finalist (he didn’t win it, right?)

DL- Romeo Okawra - Foskey disappeared a lot  Okawra presented pressure constantly even if he didn’t get the sack.  Maybe even Hinish because he was a load and this team needs that type of guy and size  

Screw it  Hinish and the lunch pale  

• Heart 4