What are you looking for against Navy?

Oh another year and the same old posts about hating playing Navy. Get over it people.

This game should be a cake walk each year it is played. Yet each year people are biting their nails worried ND’s superior athletes may fall victim to chop blocks that are no longer legal. That it’s a loosing proposition, guess what so is playing Tennessee State, CMU, Ball State, Marshall, Tulsa, etc, etc. What is the harm in ND having one game each year that is a give me but also one that is kind of a rivalry. No ND is not Navy’s Super Bowl.  That’s the Army game and hopefully winning the CINC Trophy (assuming they can beat AFA).

Just deal with the history and significance to both institutions and move on to winning the game.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

Oh another year and the same old posts about hating playing Navy. Get over it people.

This game should be a cake walk each year it is played. Yet each year people are biting their nails worried ND’s superior athletes may fall victim to chop blocks that are no longer legal. That it’s a loosing proposition, guess what so is playing Tennessee State, CMU, Ball State, Marshall, Tulsa, etc, etc. What is the harm in ND having one game each year that is a give me but also one that is kind of a rivalry. No ND is not Navy’s Super Bowl.  That’s the Army game and hopefully winning the CINC Trophy (assuming they can beat AFA).

Just deal with the history and significance to both institutions and move on to winning the game.

I like that ND plays Navy every year. Usually a win, and when it’s not, Navy usually has a good team that year. It’s frustrating that the games are so close so often. Seems like ND should just dominate. 
I remember when ND played Air Force and lost three years in a row. Those were dark days for ND football. 

• Heart 2

14 hours ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

I would prefer Navy is the first game of the season every season.  Extra time to scheme for the triple option and then be done with it the rest of the season.  

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

2 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I would prefer Navy is the first game of the season every season.  Extra time to scheme for the triple option and then be done with it the rest of the season.  

Off topic but I would like ND to play at Hawaii every year so they can get an extra game and start the season a week earlier. It also would be great from a recruiting perspective. It would help offset the lack of a conference championship game argument that some make against ND since I believe that the Irish could play 13 regular season games.

Edited by jbrown_9999

42 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Off topic but I would like ND to play at Hawaii every year so they can get an extra game and start the season a week earlier. It also would be great from a recruiting perspective. It would help offset the lack of a conference championship game argument that some make against ND since I believe that the Irish could play 13 regular season games.

That's not a bad idea in all honesty.  However, that conference championship datapoint, or lack thereof, shouldn't be negative for the Irish anymore after this season.  Once the CFP expands from 4 to 12 next season, ND won't have to worry about it.  If they end the season 12-1/11-2 they're going to get in the CFP as an At Large.  However, should they finish 10-3, it could definitely be helpful to have.  But then, again, to play devil's advocate I can see an Irish win over Hawaii in Week 0 bearing zero comparison to someone else playing in/winning their conference championship in week 13. 

I do love it for the recruiting aspect though.  ND is pretty good with the Polynesian kids and this would only help that even more.  Its like the push to drop Stanford from the schedule every season and add UCLA instead.  This way every season you're getting a game in LA whether its USC or UCLA.

18 hours ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

I agree. AND, the rules are making for Navy to cut block and cheap shot like in the past. This will and better be a cupcake game this year. 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

23 hours ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

Another year and another defender of traditions that should have been thrown in the garbage decades ago. So-called "chop" blocks have been illegal for decades; "cut" blocks are still legal. I've dealt with the history for the 40 years I have been a fan. Some things are better off going away.  

I agree on Tennessee State. That is an embarrassment. 

5 hours ago, coltssb said:

I agree. AND, the rules are making for Navy to cut block and cheap shot like in the past. This will and better be a cupcake game this year. 

You may want to refresh on the new rules for ‘23. The “cut block” is no longer legal. 

This rule change has seen teams like Army and other service academies decide to shift away from their under-center triple option game. Jeff Monken, the head coach at Army, made such a decision this spring.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2023/8/14/23806912/college-football-rule-changes-2023

Out of curiosity, despite being off topic, what other garbage traditions should be thrown in the garbage?

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

You may want to refresh on the new rules for ‘23. The “cut block” is no longer legal. 

This rule change has seen teams like Army and other service academies decide to shift away from their under-center triple option game. Jeff Monken, the head coach at Army, made such a decision this spring.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2023/8/14/23806912/college-football-rule-changes-2023

Out of curiosity, despite being off topic, what other garbage traditions should be thrown in the garbage?

Sorry Colt this was directed at the other guy. 

2 hours ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

What's left of tradition in CFB may be a more apt question.  Things that used to make it unique and entertaining a fast slipping away.

• Heart 3

A little new here… Is this the appropriate thread to drop some score predictions in?

I think the offense looks good, but with Navy shortening the game, they don’t hit the 40+ mark like I think they’re capable of. Also feel like the defense gives up one TD early before dialing it back in and only surrendering FGs the rest of the way. Give me:

Notre Dame: 31

Navy: 13

Can’t wait to watch an offense with no Kelly or Rees influence. Want to see some excitement from the skill guys and domination from Alt/Fisher and the o-line.

the offense should be unstoppable the first four weeks and humming when Ohio comes to south bend to get that ass beat!

more Bethello and Sneed with far less Marist running directly into blocks getting taken out of the play

56-14 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

Yeah I'm going with 45-13 for ND all the way. For sure I am interested in how the O looks this season. Obviously, we haven't seen anything yet, but I have so much more confidence the passing game will be light years better this time around. And I think the D will be better this year also, though they were pretty good for the most part last season.

Unfortunately for me, the game starts at 1:30 am on Sunday here, so I'll be watching the replay as soon as it's posted.

• Heart 1

So I'm a card collector.. I got back into the hobby when my son was born a couple years ago to have something to pass down and hopefully do together when he gets older.. But I have a couple Sam Hartman autos.. His stock to the moon would be nice. Too bad he's in a stupid Wake uniform on the cards. LOL.

• Heart 1