What are you looking for against Navy?

Mike
This post was recognized by Mike!

InLikeFlynn was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 15 points.

I don't know about you guys, but I look for certain things to give me the warm and fuzzies for the rest of the season.

What are you guys looking for vs. Navy to give you some positive vibes for the rest of the season?

For me, I want to see us not take the foot off the pedal and dominate like we should against a team that should be inferior talent wise.   I want to see backups for most of the second half due to a dominant first half and the game being out of reach early. 

Interested in what you all have to say...

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I don't know about you guys, but I look for certain things to give me the warm and fuzzies for the rest of the season.

What are you guys looking for vs. Navy to give you some positive vibes for the rest of the season?

For me, I want to see us not take the foot off the pedal and dominate like we should against a team that should be inferior talent wise.   I want to see backups for most of the second half due to a dominant first half and the game being out of reach early. 

Great question

Numbers wise:

200 yards rushing

300  yards passing

Procedurally I want to see ND tackle well. I also want to see the hallmarks of a good offfense where there is no one to double and it can't be stopped.

I'd love the score to be like 40-20 ish

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Great question

Numbers wise:

200 yards rushing

300  yards passing

Procedurally I want to see ND tackle well. I also want to see the hallmarks of a good offfense where there is no one to double and it can't be stopped.

I'd love the score to be like 40-20 ish

I agree with all of it my man,.  However, if they are going to score 20-ish, I need to see most of it in the second half against the second string/ garbage time stuff.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I could not agree more in not taking the foot off the pedal.

For me, I want to see this teams focus, especially against an entirely new Navy team and coaching staff.

I had read a report that Freeman has a theorem he has been pushing during 2023 fall camp, which is “Clarity equals Velocity.” Basically, velocity over speed due to velocity having a purpose and where speed might not get you anywhere.

This is what I’ll be looking for against Navy, which is to see if they won’t hesitate and have a purpose for dominant football!

I’m sure it will set the tone for the season.

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Baldy said:

I could not agree more in not taking the foot off the pedal.

For me, I want to see this teams focus, especially against an entirely new Navy team and coaching staff.

I had read a report that Freeman has a theorem he has been pushing during 2023 fall camp, which is “Clarity equals Velocity.” Basically, velocity over speed due to velocity having a purpose and where speed might not get you anywhere.

This is what I’ll be looking for against Navy, which is to see if they won’t hesitate and have a purpose for dominant football!

I’m sure it will set the tone for the season.

I was pretty excited at the Freeman hire and I am liking him more and more by the day!

• Flames 1

35 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I agree with all of it my man,.  However, if they are going to score 20-ish, I need to see most of it in the second half against the second string/ garbage time stuff.

Me to but I don't really want a 60-0 game because those games can make a team "poisoned with success" as Saban would say.

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I was pretty excited at the Freeman hire and I am liking him more and more by the day!

Oh, yeah! Same here! I really do believe Freeman will take this team very far, and ultimately win a National Championship!

• Heart 1
  • Trophy 2

A win..anything beyond that is a bonus. 

Obviously, you'd like the Irish to be dominant but the reailty is that we just need to build towards 9/23 and the Buckeyes.  We don't need to beat Navy 51-7. We just need to win in a way that doesn't foster doubt.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1

28 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

This thread is so much fun @InLikeFlynn! May I ask you to be in charge of starting the preview thread each week this season?

For example

What are you looking for against Tennessee State................versus the next opponent and the next one?

Can the question be slightly altered or re-worded week to week or would you like the same basic question?  

I've got a few:

• Dominant OL: I was at the game last year in Baltimore, and it was incredibly frustrating to watch Navy's undersized DL completely dominant ND's OL/TEs. Pyne looked awful in the second half, but ND had no answer. They were lucky to hang on.
  • Air Attack: I know ND wants to run the ball, and I'm all for watching Estime go for 100+ yards, but I need to see Hartman have some connection with his WRs. The practice reports the last few days about the WRs have not been glowing. Need to see JT catch 4-7 passes, need to get Tyree involved, and please let there be a deep shot (or two) to Tobias Merriweather.
  • Front Seven: The DL and LB units are full of seniors and grad students. They seen Navy before, and while there is a new coach, this team should be prepared to shut Navy down. No more than 17 points.
  • Freeman: As others have said, if ND gets up big in the first half, I need to see Freeman keep his foot on the pedal. I feel like he did that at times last year. We need to get out of the BK mindset of getting up big, then just holding on for dear life.
  • Kicking Game: The new transfer kicker sounds like he has been impressive, but not the new punter. Need to see how those guys respond in games, although hoping we don't need to use either too much.
  • Heart 2
  • Flames 2